iOS 6 performance on iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sflomenb, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

For those of you who have the GM of iOS 6 on a 4S, how does it affect the performance and battery life? Does the phone slow down or does it speed up? Does the battery drain faster or last longer?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Average battery life (as in same as iOS 5) and average to better performance. Performance is in no way worse than iOS 5.

3. th1nk macrumors member

my battery life is definately worse than with 5.1. performance is equal. I am disappointed as there is no feature that I would miss in iOS5... it's all more or less the same. maps is even worse.

let's hope apple has a complete revamp planned for version 7 next year, I am getting bored with the current design of iOS.

4. GunZi macrumors 6502

same here, i like the GM version :D pretty much same battery life and performance. but new features :D

5. farawaybrothers macrumors member

Agreed, the GM is great on the 4S

6. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

7. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Haven't had it running long enough yet to fully judge the battery life.

One thing I have noticed performance wise, however, is that Safari seems quite a bit speedier.

Also, for me at least, Siri is even more accurate. I must be one of the lucky ones with a good accent for Siri as its always been pretty good for me to the extent that I very rarely type anything on the iPhone any more.

This whole post, like my others, was dictated. The only error was that it said charge instead of judge. Even then, the correct word came up on the suggestions.

I love how I can launch apps through Siri now as well.

From my standpoint, with the performance & no major issues uncovered, I definitely recommend an upgrade for the 4S.

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Works great on 4S for me. Standby battery life seems better, just dropping 4% overnight. Not bad at all. Performance is equally as good if not better. Safari definitely seems faster.

9. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

My battery life seems greatly improved, even though I find that odd. I figure something got disabled that I was using in iOS 5.

10. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

If I install GM, can I go back to 5.1.1 if I'm unhappy with the GM?

11. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Safari is faster at rendering and also downloads. Before the upgrade I did a speedtest and was getting 27mbps average. I did a test with iOS 6 and was getting 37mbps.

On the flip side the new app store and music store are crap!

12. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Performance on my 64GB iPhone 4S seems to be at least as good as 5.1.1. I did an "Upgrade" instead of "Restore" by the way. I won't know about battery life for a few more days until I have used it for a while.

I noticed Airplay seems to play quicker on my Audyssey airplay speaker which is nice. Before I had to wait at least 10-15 seconds before the music played.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Nope.

14. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

I can't select the 5.1.1 IPSW file and restore to that?

15. C.G.B. Spender macrumors member

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yes you can. Apple is still signing 5.1.1 because its the latest PUBLIC build.

When iOS 6 drops on the 19th, Apple will stop signing 5.1.1 and you'll be left with only iOS 6 to restore to.

17. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

You must remember that you can't get an accurate battery gauge if you are restoring from a backup. If you had any OS problems or bugs that transferred over from 5.1.1, then it is tough to judge. Could we all clarify if we did CLEAN INSTALLS and Setup as NEW OR did CLEAN INSTALLS and Restored from backup. There is a BIG difference.

18. Calvinosaurus macrumors member

Calvinosaurus

At the least, it performs as well as iOS5 did on my 64GB 4s...I haven't run into any issues yet, other than the App Store being buggy from time to time. Safari noticeably runs quicker on iOS6 as opposed to iOS5 for me; that's the biggest performance change I've noticed so far.

19. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Pretty sure I saw a note on the developer site that says once you install iOS 6 GM you cannot go back to iOS 5.

20. throys macrumors 6502

Overall better than the last beta. P.s battery life much better on new iPad.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The beta notes also say you can't go back. However, DFU plus shift+restore and you're back on 5.1.1.

I've done it on every beta and the GM simply restores when you press restore.

Been there, done it, worn the t-shirt, got it dirty, washed it, and worn it again.

22. dwburnell macrumors regular

I have found that Siri works a lot better, and not just with the new features. Haven't really tested the battery life yet because my iPhone is plugged into a dock while i am at work so I can listen to my music. Safari and just everything in general seems speedier to me.

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

No need to DFU. Just shift+restore.

24. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

25. rodgui macrumors member

I noticed that the battery drain in the GM version is much greater than in beta 4