iOS 6 Transit solution is better than expected!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AeroUK, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

I was so worried about losing Google Maps. While I feel that G Maps was an easier system I am relieved to say that Apple's approach is not so bad.

'Embark NYC' is not showing on the list of Transit Apps. If you search for an address and ask to get subway directs you are taken directly to the Embark NYC app and shown how to get there. Try it out it works great!

So relieved and cannot wait for more apps to be integrated!

Aaron
    aaronshort.com

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, Apple Maps are a complete joke. They should have waited another year before releasing them.

Maps is a big reason why I am not going the iPhone OS 6.0 route.

3. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Faster than Goole Maps, vectors work much better offline and Transit is working well. The only thing I do not like is that you have to zoom in more to get the street names sometimes. Otherwise it is better than Google Maps!

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I hope iTrans is updated soon to support this.

5. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I just got the Embark NYC update as well, but don't have iOS 6 yet. Google maps is great, because it integrates the walking + transit directions.

Do the iOS 6 maps give you walking directions to the nearest station before pushing you to the Embark app? Does Embark push you back to iOS 6 maps once the transit directions are done?

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I did try it. It works pretty nicely, but I wish they could create some sort of overlay within Maps itself. I don't necessarily see an advantage to just going in embark NY itself and routing from there.

7. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming it opens the Embark app with the routing information programmed in, is that not the case?

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That is the case. I just don't know why I would open up Apple maps and type in the information and have it send me to the app when I could just open the app in the first place. I really want to like the new maps. To an extent, I really like them more than Google, but they have a long way to go and I don't think the way they are doing transit is the correct direction.

9. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

And not many live in NYC. there is no app for Seattle that does what Google map does. So it's either go to the kludgy Metro website or pray for Google to release a map app.

Features missing all over the place - why is IOS6 in this condition? was Steve that essential to Apple?

10. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

maps.google.com is pretty much just as functional, just less pretty :)

11. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

What if Google releases a Maps app that integrates with the transit section of iOS 6 maps? I bet that would be a great solution for a lot of people.

12. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually you could just use the Embark app but I guess if you enter the info in Maps first then if you switch back to that on arrival you can see where you are going while also seeing what else is around...

Embark is cool, they need to make apps for every city and then Apple will probably buy them and integrate the data into iOS 7! lol

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

What a clumsy joke. What if you want to see where you are while on the transit to see what stop to get off at with GPS? Something that works really well on Google Maps today and I use all the time.

14. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

HopStop and Bing both allow for this, and they are both free :)

15. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, you can also use Siri and say "show me TRANSIT directions to 58th and 7th avenue' and it will take you straight to the routing screen where you select your app of choice and then it loads the directions.

This is AWESOME!

I hope they let us set our default Transit App and then it will load the directions immediately...

16. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Embark NYC is useless for people commuting from NJ (Jersey City, Hoboken, etc) into NYC and back.

Apple is a POS for this move.