iOS 7.1 Beta 2 Battery Drain

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by adminaaah, Dec 19, 2013.

1. adminaaah macrumors member

Hi,

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.1b2 (yes, i have registered UDID :) ) My problem is that most people are saying that the battery is great. I disabled everything and my battery is still draining. It takes about 15 min. to go from 100 to 99% but after 99% it drops like crazy. 1% every minute. I get around 4 hours of use and i am on around 13%. Any help?

2. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

I'm having the same issue as you. I even restored my phone as new and still suffer some serious battery drain

3. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

It's good to know that it's not just me. I've literally done everything. I even tried DFU restoring. No luck. Can anyone give any suggestions???

----------

Anyone??

4. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Maybe because it's a beta? Well people complain about every OS release about battery drain so its a never ending problem.

5. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

First up it's a beta you should expect to experience these problems. Also try these battery saving optimations:

1. Lower the brightness, I also intend to take off auto brightness.
    2. Limit the use of location services. iOS 7 also has a few new location system services such as: Frequent locations, Popular Near Me turn these off. Or all of the system location services.
    3. Turn off push mail especially if you notice that you get a lot of mail.
    4. Turn off AirDrop and Bluetooth when not in use. And also when on Celluar in low coverage areas your battery will drain very rapidly.
    5. Also some iPhone 5's have battery defects, you should make a trip to the Apple Store just to make sure.

6. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

i've got everything disabled. I got my battery checked and it's alright. I have the same drain on all the ios 7 versions. (7.0, 7.0.3, & 7.0.4). It was never like this on iOS 6.

7. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

What is your usage like...? Are you a light, moderate or heavy user?

8. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

Moderate user. Biggest issue is that my phone is charged to 100 percent when i got to sleep. I unplug it before going to bed and in the morning it's at 85%. The standby doesn't even do good. If im using the calculator it will drop 1% percent every 2 minutes. All my location services are off, background app refresh is off, static wallpaper, you name it and i have it off. iOS 7 for me is horrible. Yes the animations are faster in 7.1b2 but battery has been horrible since release day!

9. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

I really think you should get your iPhone looked at. Also, you can check the battery health with this app 'iBackupBot' works for both Mac and Windows. Take a snapshot and post it here :)

Link: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/check-ipad-iphone-battery-charge-cycle-count-without-jailbreaking.htm

10. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

Alright. I will try that and post the screen shot. THANKS for the suggestion! :)

11. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

You're welcome I am here to help :)

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Overall my battery life has been crap since I got my 5. I just installed the beta and noticed the battery drain. It's just that it's hard to tell if it drains any quicker or not. One things for sure and that's that it definitely sucks.

13. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

Here is the snapshot of iBackupBot. Not sure what it means though. ;)

Attached Files:

14. DavidBlack, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Based on what you sent your battery appears to be healthy.

The original or designed capacity that your iPhone came with is: 1430 mAh

The full charge capacity is: 1332 mAh batteries lose capacity over time, and that's how much your iPhone can charge up too. It's also worth knowing that these values fluctuate over time.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

None of these features should be needed to be turned off to achieve normal battery usage. In fact, everything you have stated above I have turned on at all times and I still get 8-10 hours of a battery per day.

OP, did you restore from backup or setup your phone as NEW when you did your DFU restore?

16. adminaaah thread starter macrumors member

I setup the phone as new when I did the DFU restore. I have done that like a thousand times now but still no luck. Since DavidBlack said my battery seems to be healthy then i'm guessing it's iOS 7 that's the issue. Any other suggestions?

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Hi. This happens over and over. :( The only thing I would turn off is Bluetooth. The rest of that stuff is OK with only minor caveats and it's not because it's a beta.

A 1% drop per minute is a rogue / looping process or poor signal strength. When you see it happen, you can reset you phone (home and sleep button until logo appears) and that will stop the process. *But* when that process starts again the same thing may happen. So whether you restore your phone or restore as new and put all the same apps back on you risk the same drain.

So here's some things:
    • The biggest problem app I've seen mentioned lately is Facebook. Delete it and see if that helps (as a test).
    • If you drain in locations that you did not drain in a previous version then it probably isn't signal strength.
    • In the Dev forum people reported applications looping while unable to authenticate - they removed the accounts or turned them off and back on (all mail, dropbox, etc).
    • To be clear on the above statement, it's not because an app is talking to the Internet, it's because it's having a problem talking to the Internet.

It's really that simple that you have a runaway app or process. When you find it your problem is solved. Some folks use Xcode to see what's running on their device and others use free system monitoring tools from the app store to look at CPU utilizations, processes, etc.

Again, this all assumes you have a good battery that worked well in a previous version.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

DFU restore as NEW should have resolved it. Take it to Apple to check the battery.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, but if he put the same apps back on it he could trigger the issue again.

20. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

7.1 Beta 2 is giving me the best battery life so far and the most stable.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You have a point. I guess his best option would be to install iOS 7 fresh and not install any 3rd party apps and see how it behaves over the course of 2-3 days.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Bingo. Once I beat my head against the wall for three days trying to figure out a Windows 7 problem until I realized that my preconfigured test system base image had the problem. :eek:

23. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I charged my ipad mini r at 100 max than I played gta san andreass for 4 hours and my battery was 35, in my opinion, beta 2 is the worst ever.

24. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Good evaluation...NOT. Can you give us what you would have gotten on 7.0.4?

25. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

5 or 6 hours of gta sa and 7 hours of real racing 3 and the remaining battery was betweet 25-30 percent and on my old ipad 3 almost 10 hours.