iOS 7.1 nuke third-party cable support?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by watchthisspace, Mar 12, 2014.

1. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Just bought myself a third party lightning cable for my 5s as I really do not want to fork out for a genuine Apple one.

However to my amazement it doesn't work with the error message "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliable with this iPhone" message and nothing happens.

I've done a Google search and there are/were some workarounds for this, however none I've tired work.

Is there anyone else with a third-party cable and experiencing this?

2. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

As far as I know the only thing you can do with a third party lightning cable is charge it and sync. I know as I used to sell them on eBay when it first launched with the iPhone 5. Things may have moved on since but none of the cable would allow audio down them.
    The warning pops up but still should work.

3. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. I only get the message and nothing.. maybe I got a dud cable.

4. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

TLDR; your mileage may vary...

It depends on what model of device you have and the particular cable. My iPad mini (now passed onto a friend) will charge with almost any cable I try it with, albeit anything which isn't from Apple produces the error. My iPad mini retina will only charge with Apple cables (anything else causes it to produce the error message and refuse to charge). My iPhone 5C will charge with all but one cable I have (that cable produces no error message at all and works on the iPad mini with the usual error message), however one cable will only allow it to charge normally to around 80% after which it produces the unsupported cable error and appears to stop charging (although it does creep up very very slowly after that).

A

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Odd, I have not had any problems with cables from InCase and Belkin.

6. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

If they're Apple certified then you won't (and I'd have assumed Belkin's would be certified).

A

7. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

You will get the Unsuported message if the cable is not a certified MFi cable, it's been this way since iOS 7 was released. (MFi - made for idevice). I have a 3rd party calve that gave me that message, that cable died and the company was good enough to send me the newer version of the certified cable and I no longer receive this message.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Always make sure your third-party cables are MFi (Made For iPhone). This assures a standard of quality and compatibility, since Apple approves them. If the cables are not MFi then they could be absolute garbage; I've heard cases of the plug breaking off inside the phone, damage to the phone, etc.

MFi is your friend.

9. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

MFi certified cables are almost as expensive as Apple cable... I would just go for Apple cable instead... If not, I would buy the cheap one... 5 buck each

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10374&seq=1&format=2

$12, vs $20 for the Apple official ones. Significant savings. Plus you can get them in black too, which looks nicer (in my opinion).

If you buy $5 cables you will get what you pay for. Inconsistent quality and non-durable cables.

11. Zmanbaseball2, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iOS 7.1 nuke third-party cable support?

Believe me or not but here's what happened to me.
    I had a 3rd party cable from amazon that is not certified. It worked great on iOS 7 with my iPhone 5 with no error from December 2012. My sister then got an iPhone 5 a few months ago and when she plugged it into the lightning cable, it disabled it. It did not charge but an error came up 5 seconds after I plugged it into her new iPhone 5. Now when I plugged it into my iPhone 5. It did not work and the same thing happened. The cable got disabled by my sisters me a iPhone 5. Strange...
    I now use only apple certified cables. Specifically Tech Armors 6ft lightning cables.

12. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

look at all these penny pinchers, geez

you forked out for one of the most expensive smartphones out there, but 20 bucks is outrageous

how many are you planning to buy? a dozen?

please, support the economy and wages, dont buy cheap crap

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When I got my 5, I bought a bunch of third party cables on eBay. Got like 10 for $20 so if they broke I would toss it out, who cares. But ever since I got my 5S, I get the message saying accessory is not supported, but even worse, even though it says its charger, it actually pulls power from my phone. I plugged it in and 20 minutes later my battery drained 15% on stand by. Threw away all third party cables and just sucked it up and bought real ones.

14. kolax macrumors G3

I just have a 5.

I use a third party cable for charging at work, and it works fine. However, I have a 3rd party dock which the 3rd party cable goes into, and I get errors about compatibility with the dock and sometimes I have to redock a few times before it'll charge.

Lightning concept has been a massive fail.. Apple should've kept it simple, or been even more sensible and used micro USB.

15. TonyYYZ macrumors member

lol @ believing $20 is inexpensive for a short cable that is prone to breaking very easily. Since these devices use a non-standard cable, a lot of people need several for their daily travels. One at home next to bed and possibly main floor, one in the car, one at your desk at work, etc. At $20+tax a pop, that gets very expensive.

16. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

yeah, i know, but thats 100 buck top. how much money did you invest in apple products? and to risk it buying pos cable? and how often does apple change cables?

in other words, if i had 100000 bucks car, i wouldnt be cheap on tyres or gas.

we're here talking about saving couple of tens of dollars :O i know some people dont have enough to eat, but they shouldnt have 300 bucks smartphone subsidized. get a grip, people. save the world from asian penny-pincher manufacturers, their ****** products and low wage jobs.

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.” Ruskin

a word of advice to the op. buy one cable and carry it with yourself, so you dont have to buy a cable for every room you find yourself in.

17. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

After 4 years of life with microUSB...THANK GOD FOR APPLE AND A CABLE I CAN JUST STICK IN THE DAMN PHONE without fiddling with it for 20 seconds every time. Hell I'd pay $100 per cable rather than go back that crap. I hope wireless charging is in iPhone 6.

18. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

you took the words out of my keyboard

why is it so hard for the engineers of the word to grasp a simple concept of 'both sides' connector. geez

19. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Drama queen much?!

20. TonyYYZ macrumors member

The official Apple cables are made like crap. There is an abundance of evidence around this issue, including on Apple's own website in the reviews. This causes people to have to replace cables frequently due to failure. That's an overhead that should NOT be needed.

Apple engineered the Lightning cable to capitalize more on the accessory market (along with having a smaller footprint), no other reason. The old 30-PIN connector was able to be duplicated by any manufacturer without issue yet everyone seems to conveniently forget about that. The issue isn't with the cables being "bad" for your device, it's that the manufacturers didn't pay the royalties for the privilege of manufacturing a certified cable so that it won't cause your device to display a warning message or just reject the cable altogether. Spending ~$700+ on a phone should not mean you should feel compelled to drop another $100+ on cables for it.

This is an iphone, not a car or hardly even worth a fraction of one. And besides, people cheap out on gas and tires everyday.

As for carrying a cable with me everywhere... Why would I ever inconvenience myself like that? I have micro-USB cables everywhere I go. Even if I'm in a non-familiar place, Micro-USB is the standard of all devices but Apple so cables are always at the ready wherever you are.

----------

lol. The problem was with you, not the cable. USB cables have a different feel to each side of it so you can feel which way is "right side up". Funny how this became such a huge "problem" after the introduction of the Lightning cable.

USB 3.1 will introduce a cable that works both way to negate this "problem".

21. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

Also consider, one of these. Just use your own microUSB. Not as elegant as a dedicated cable but cheaper overall to replace when the strain relief fails.

22. beosound3200, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

in all of my life, i've never used better and more easier to use cable to charge my phone. not even those old nokia cables. musb connectors are light years behind. what about that click you feel when you plug in your lightning connector? that alone is worth at least 10 bucks to me, especially when you consider the fact that i have never bought a cable seperately, i always keep and take care of the one that came with my phone.

im sure ALL the problems people have with lightning cables are manufacturing defects, not design failures

and who cares? only you wishin to pinch 10-20 bucks

and yeah, apple is nurishing its next golden goose, the lightning connector!

you bought a premium phone for a premium price. act like it. or have you been saving 3 years for a phone?

exactly. people cheap out on everything. thats why we have so many pos products on the market. maybe government should mandate the prices so manufacturers compete on design and functionality not the price.

what about this?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter

sorry, but a have to say this. i have irrational need to both actively and passively disrespect people who care only about the price. price doesnt tell you anything about anything other than the information can you afford it or not. its like a condition for you to have it.

you bought 600 bucks phone, yet you open a thread and are willing to have discussion over 20 bucks. G E T A G R I P

23. raf66 macrumors regular

My Apple cable lasted nearly a year and a half before it died. I then went to Fleabay and bought a 3-pack of cables for a grand total of $5. One for office, one for car and one for home. The trifecta of cables!

Do they appear to be cheaply made in comparison to the official Apple cable? Yes. And I have absolutely no problem with that. But they all work just fine. And I could buy 12 of those cables for the price of one Apple cable. My hope is that out of the three that I bought, at least one will survive for a year. If not, who cares. They were $1.70 or so each.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

This is actually one of the better ways of going about it all it would seem.