iOS 7-9 design language decided before steve's death/forstall departure

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by plexdk, Jul 26, 2015.

1. plexdk, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

plexdk macrumors 6502

I fell over this article:
    http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

Ive began dreaming about an Apple watch just after CEO Steve Jobs’ death in October 2011. He soon brought the idea to Dye and a small group of others in the design studio. At the time, they were in the midst of a marathon push to overhaul Apple’s mobile operating system. “We were literally living in the design studio,” Dye says, “a small group of us, working on iOS 7.” The seventh iteration of the iPhone’s operating system, iOS 7 was much more than a redesign of smartphone and tablet software: It was an inflection point at the company, marking the ascendance of Jony Ive to the throne atop all Apple design. Dye and the human interface crew had to rethink every interaction, every animation, every function.

As we know, they started the watch development right after steve's death, and took 3 years... I found an interesting read, i can see that right after steve's death they were apparently pretty busy with making the big design re-haul, and adding features. So that means, this whole new design was apparently under way while forstall was there, and was decided upon and kickstarted while steve still was alive?

I also read in a book, that steve was worried about where the design was heading, and might want to revert back to simple.

Would also seem strange if they could do such a big re-haul in 1 year.. Anyway, it seems like it was apple's core decision before the 'departure' of these two guys (Fortstall, Steve), so maybe people should think an extra time, before blaming only Ive for this - i like it though ;)

2. TC03 macrumors 65816

Which book?

3. plexdk thread starter macrumors 6502

Design crazy

4. kyemaloy macrumors member

I don't see why people hate the new look of iOS. Whenever i see old screenshots I'm reminded of all the ugly clutter and to be honest all the textures they mimicked I had never used in my life. WHEN HAVE I EVER USED A LEATHER BOUND CALENDAR

5. El Tuga macrumors member

I think the iOS7 design was rushed out, hence the lack of quality (wich amazingly has not been fixed yet, only the bugs are being worked on). They had to come up with something quickly after firing forestall. Btw, imho a decision that was all about internal politics and none about the "maps gate" or forstall's temper wich were just excuses to get him out of the way, now that Steve Jobs was not there anymore. Sad...

6. vista980622 macrumors 6502

A knowledgable reporter for a famous Apple blogging site has once said that iOS 7's design language went through multiple revisions, where the WWDC version was at least the third revision.

Previous revisions are closer to iOS 6 and less polarizing than the final one, but Apple executives do not seem satisfied with them, so designers kept tweaking it.

While there is no screenshot or public proof this all existed, poking around public iOS 7.x's SpringBoard.app still reveals an icon asset for an internal app (or rather an app, a hidden feature called "InternalSettings") for setting up folder behaviors. That icon illustrates one of the early iOS 7 icon design aesthetic, where everything is slightly more colorful, but contains less texture.

Another proof is after iOS 7's unveil at WWDC, Apple posted an incorrect group of iOS 7 app icon screenshot on its website, with the weather app showing actual weather in digits and Passbook having a different color scheme. It was quickly taken down and replaced, but it once again shows that even in late development stage (where things has been passed to marketing department), many stuff are still changing. It seemed so late that no marketing picked it up...

7. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Interesting. I have never been one to hate on the design or to hate on I've, glorifying forestall/jobs, I just hate the quality control, or lack thereof. Ever since the redesign, iOS has gone to crap in terms of polishedness. It is so buggy, there is lag/stutter on even the newest devices... It has been this way since iOS 7, and continues all the way through 9 so far. I just want iOS to be 100% 60FPS all the way around like it used to be with iOS 6. It was like that even on the iPod 5. Well, I think I remember frame drops when closing an extremely heavy app at times, but that's understandable. But now, even on an iPhone 6, especially a plus, don't use control center when you are using spotlight search! Don't rotate the keyboard! Don't send a message that's too long! Don't scroll too fast in the app switcher! The list is a thousand times larger on iPads, particularly pre-iPad air 2. iOS doesn't feel solid anymore, because of the random things you can do to cause frame drops. It feels fragile, like it isn't up to the job. Little tasks knock things down. It just feels gross. On top of consistent things that cause frame drops, things randomly jump/skip one time, framerate unnecessarily falls in dumb places, like opening or closing an app or scrolling.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I agree with the framerate comment.
    I'm not surprised that the look change was decided before the departure of Forstall and Jobs, but I still think it would've ended differently if they'd been there for the end. I like it though. I don't think it's as welcoming for new users however.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I think most new people are as welcomed as they would have been before. It's the old farts that I think are pushing back.

10. plexdk thread starter macrumors 6502

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Could you post a link to that early revision you talked about? Would be interesting to see :)

12. vista980622 macrumors 6502

That is a re-creation of the near-final version, not a screenshot to prevent landing their sources in trouble. It's different because 9to5mac's editor redrew it based on memories/sketches rather than directly from screenshot, and they redrew it under time constrain (only one day till official unveil).

13. vista980622, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

vista980622 macrumors 6502

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

People hate it because it impacted usability often. iOS 6 may have been "ugly and outdated" but it used bold fonts, contained much more contrast and shadows, and just ran smoother.

Apple's new design language is far less usable. Thin white fonts on light gray backgrounds, translucent material showing blurred content around or behind current content. I'll admit, their new design fits the current trends, but it slowed down everything! Every single device out there slowed down with iOS 7 and especially 8. Some users may not have noticed, but my iPhone 6 stutters on iOS 8.4 which my iPhone 4S NEVER did on it's native iOS 5.0.

Also, I think "Apple" and "flat" got a negative stigma around it because iOS 7 and later and the last view OS X versions have been so incredibly buggy. That has lead some to associate Apple's flat look with bad coding.

15. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I agree, but it's getting a lot better. I'm running El Capitan and iOS 9, and I must admit, for beta versions they run incredibly well. I see much fewer bugs than on earlier betas, and performance, whilst still not on par with iOS 5 and Snow Leopard on new devices, isa pretty good, and depending on what you do, equal to or better than the last version.
    Your font issue can be fixed by turning on bold in Settings. It looks much better that way. You can also disable translucency, which also increases performance (very little). Bold text is especially great for visually impaired people like me.

16. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I just wish OS X had the feature too.

17. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Nothing was as bad as the leather bound friend finder!

18. vista980622 macrumors 6502

From my experience:
    El Capitan Beta runs incredibly well on Metal-enabled devices (not-so-good for OpenGL devices though).
    iOS 9 Beta runs OK, but not really well on every iOS device.

19. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Which ones? Text is bolder on OS X in the first place, and you can disable translucency on OS X as well.

I "sadly" don't have any non-metal enabled Macs anymore (other than a G3, and I can't really install El Capitan on it...), but I don't see why OpenGL devices shouldn't run well. I mean, whilst they of course won't render on Metal, they should use the same render pipeline as Yosemite, but without filters such as blur in Mission Control.
    iOS 9 is a bit of a mixed bag, correct, but it gets a lot better with every update, and whilst it sometimes feels ***** on my iPad Air (first gen), it also runs really well at other times, and it runs really nicely on my iPhone. After the latest update, the iPad experience improved greatly however, so I have faith that it'll be good by the time it's completely finished, because it already is a lot better than 8. (that said, I still see performance issues with the keyboard on iPad a lot.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Personally I think those that have issues with it the most aren't new users. iOS 7 was my mom's first introduction to iOS and she's never complained about the UI. I think it's people who don't like change or hate "flat" design or whatever that had the most issues. 9to5Mac just redesigned their website and 90% of the comments were negative. People instantly hated it and wanted them to go back to the old site.

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

No the worst was podcasts app (which I think was one of the last new things under Forstall).

[​IMG]

22. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I personally think that iOS 7 onwards never reached its potential, and brands like miui has done a much better job of the gui than those in charge at Apple. Which is ironic given the amount of elements that have been "borrowed"

23. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

They "thought" of it in 2011. Coincidentally, Holo Light was released in 2011.

Right off the bet this struck me as a clone of Winamp for Android, except with fancy skeumorphism. I really don't think this is all that bad, certainly eons more usable than this monstrosity - I need no usability study to tell me that almost nobody would figure how to use that bizarre interface without trial and error (and by the way, that Reminders screenshot has MORE unnecessary skeumorphism than the Podcasts screenshot).

And speaking of the absolute worst interfaces, nothing even comes close to this abomination. Nothing gutted me quite as hard as the double whammy of seeing that screenshot for the first time. The combination of iOS 7's hideous and remarkably inconsistent icons, the "me too" Holo live wallpaper imitation and the Helvetica Neue truly is a marvel of poor design and poorer taste.