iOS 7 Animations Get in the Way

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by w00t951, Jul 1, 2013.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Does anyone else feel like the animations in iOS 7, while pretty/refreshing, are just too darn long to be practical? Since (currently) the entire animation must complete before the user can interact with onscreen elements, actions that used to take 0.5 seconds in iOS 6 now take 5 seconds.

Doesn't anyone feel this way? I recall that for the OS X 10.8 beta, switching between spaces was unusually contrived, and they sped that animation up by 3X in the final release of the OS.

2. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Well, you just answered your own question my friend.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Try putting a folder in the dock if you want to see how bad it looks with no animation whatsoever ... ;)

4. DarkRyoushii macrumors newbie

I agree completely, it's one of the things I noticed the first day I installed it on my daily driver i5. Really hoping it's sped up 3X in final release too!

5. Frederico Luna macrumors member

Agreed + 1. I'm using iOS 7 on my day-to-day iPhone 5 and already got used to it, but when I grab an iPhone 5 using iOS 6 I'm always surprised by how fast it is compared to iOS 7.

6. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

I personally notice it when i'm trying to quickly do something. They could bump up the animation speed a few notches to get the effect but not the delay.

7. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Oh yes! The animations are waaaay too long. I felt beta 2 was much more stable enough to use but I found it insanely frustrating waiting for an animation to finish before I could tap the damn screen.

8. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more! As much as I love iOS7, I think the animations get in the way a bit. I'm sure speeding/optimizing those up is a top priority of Apple prior to release. We might not see the fruits of that until the GM.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Really?

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

5 seconds? I am not experiencing that kind of delay at all.

11. shandyman, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

shandyman Suspended

Exactly, they're barely 1 second. In beta 1 they were a little slower, like 1.5. People of exaggerating on here just to complain. If its taking 5 seconds on anyones device, then its a bug and should report it, or try a clean install.

12. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I notice it but it's not a deal breaker for me

13. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I love the new animations, and at least on my iPhone 5 they seem fast enough (though I won't complain if they speed them up). What frustrates me is that if you tap the screen immediately after the animation completes, nothing happens. You have to wait a beat before the screen becomes active.

I assume this is merely a beta problem and that this will all be optimized by the time we get the GM.

Someone said that the zoom-in/zoom-out animations reminded them of the film The Powers of Ten. I think that's an apt comparison.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is ground breaking information, people exaggerate on message forums and mostly complain :eek::eek:

/S

The animation is slower than it is on iOS 6, but my feeling is that it will get sped up before the GM build.

15. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

You shouldn't be surprised when you consider you're comparing a final version to a beta...

16. shandyman Suspended

Considering its sped up between beta 1 & 2, that's a safe bet.

17. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I notice it mostly when unlocking the device and then quickly attempting to tap an app icon. Usually my first tap doesn't do anything because the animation is still completing.

It is just a timing thing that I feel will be ironed out.

18. macaronie macrumors member

macaronie

I have to agree. For me going from beta 1 to beta 2, sped things up a notch but I wish the animations were a tad quicker. I am on the iphone 4s and not the highest gb, and all our apps are different as well so my mileage might vary.

19. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

The animation is one of the reasons I went back to iOS 6.

20. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

The animations should be sped up. Put my iOS 7 beta 2 iPhone 5 next to an iPhone 4 running iOS 6 and launched some apps. The 4 came out faster due to those transitions. Eek.

21. Drock99 macrumors newbie

Preach!!

22. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I have "fakeclockup" set at 1.6 or 1.8x (jailbreak) and even stock iOS6 seems slow by comparison. I sure hope animations aren't slowed down further in iOS7.... I love my phone feeling snappy instead of fancy animations that take too long.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Have to agree also. One of the things I don't like about iOS 7 is the lengthy animations. Looks nice and is refreshing, but the transitions just make it feel much slower than it really is. coming from iOS 6, it shouldn't feel like that.

24. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

It is slow. The should also be cancellable. Having to wait for them to finish before being allowed to perform an action is a pain in the bum.

25. JBryan84 macrumors regular

I find myself unlocking the phone and clicking on messages 2 sometimes 3 times before it opens while waiting for the animations. I would like them sped up at least 3x and even better would be an option in accessibility to turn them off or set the speed.