iOS 7 Beta 4 Contains Fix For Malicious Charger Hack

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Earlier this year, a trio of computer scientists discovered a flaw in iOS 6 that would theoretically allow an iPhone or an iPad to be hacked using a "malicious USB charger."

The researchers demonstrated the hack at the Black Hat Convention in Las Vegas today, showing off a custom built charger that was plugged into an iPhone. The charger, which took a week to design and cost just $45 in components, contained a small Linux computer programmed to launch an attack on iOS devices.
    According to a report from Reuters, the security flaw that could allow a fake charging station to potentially hack an iOS device has already been repaired in iOS 7.
    During the convention, the researchers successfully used the device they had constructed to hack into an iPhone, programming it to dial another phone. The group, worried that criminals might use the hack in malicious ways, publicized the issue in the spirit of "white hat" hacking.

iOS 7, which is already in the hands of developers, is expected to be released to the general public this fall. Along with a fix for the charger hack, it also includes a number of new features like an overhauled Notification Center, a new Control Center, and a complete redesign. Apple continues to regularly release beta updates for the operating system, adding additional minor performance boosts and changes ahead of its official release.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta 4 Contains Fix For Malicious Charger Hack

2. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm glad there's a fix coming, but I always use Apple branded chargers. :cool:

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Nice! It's good to see security researchers pushing the limits to uncover any exploits and share them in the spirit of "white hat" hacking.

----------

After this and the news of Chinese chargers possibly electrocuting people, I wouldn't be surprised if people thought twice before buying that $2-$5 charger on amazon.

4. CFreymarc Suspended

I was very impressed by the charger hack demo. Also impressed it was handled this quick. For a while, it had me looking at these public charging stations that you see at airports and coffee house with concern when I couldn't see the other end plugged into a wall socket.

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

APPLE took that really well, for a change. They haven't always been so gracious in the past.

6. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Reminds me of the counterfeit Lightning cable spoof that bypasses Apple's "generic cable message"

7. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

I really don't think the majority of us were at risk to this hack but it is good to see Apple respond to security flaws. Nice on the researchers part too.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Has the paper on how this was accomplished been published yet?

9. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

This guy :cool:

10. JAT macrumors 603

Perhaps the lack of blackmail was a factor.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

This reminds me the PSP hack. Where people can modify the battery to fix the 'brick' PSP. I wonder if this would work for JB. If yes then forever JB anything below iOS 6.

12. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm curious to see a picture of this malicious charger. Getting it small enough to be appealing would probably take some doing; AppleInsider has a pic if the mini-Linux-computer used, and small as it is, it's still just one component and is pretty big! You almost might as well disguise a Mac Mini as a charger.

(In fact, you could do just that, if you can convince people to plug into a "public" charge port, where the charger hardware is hidden out of sight.)

Actually they have often given public credit to those who have found flaws.

Not everyone who finds a flaw deserves gracious treatment: some of them are after fame (or even malicious acts for pay) and don't care who gets hurt or hacked. Others handle the information responsibly.

13. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Still, not enough to make me upgrade to iOS 7. Nice try Apple

14. moxin macrumors regular

moxin

Yup people at Apple are really tying hard to get you back son.

15. RobertMartens macrumors 65816

RobertMartens

Think twice and then still buy them, because they work.

16. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

This was my thought. I don't see the need to squeeze it into a apple-esque charger. Since the easiest way to implement it would be through a free public charging station type setup.

17. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

They're all made in China. Regardless...

18. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

[​IMG]

19. df22799 macrumors newbie

how come this is new in beta 4?
    I had these warning windows form beta 1 or maybe 2...

20. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Modify the battery and the memory stick. And just the same way you can fix it.

21. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I've got no problem with them enforcing these restrictions on Apple CHARGERS but I would be pissed if they restrict the cable itself - there is no need to do that.

22. localoid, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Below, a pic of the "Mactans charger" from a Forbes article, which is said to be what was demoed @ Black Hat.

[​IMG]

The mini-PC used was a BeagleBoard, which is about 3 inches square in size.

23. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I wonder if this will become a cat and mouse game and a problem that Apple is continually patching for some time.

24. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Iphone Chargers can attack you rob you and kill you

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you want to save money: The reason why the fakes are dangerous is because of the small size. It's difficult to put a converter from 220V to 5V or whatever it is into such a small space and make it safe. If you buy a big old charger then it may be ugly, but it is much easier to produce one to make it safe, just because there is much more space to keep things apart that mustn't touch.