IOS 7 Beta 4, iPhone 5 is dead and wont recognize charger.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by noahkirsch, Aug 13, 2013.

1. noahkirsch, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

noahkirsch macrumors newbie

Before anyone gets mad and posts something unproductive, I am a certified apple developer with a dev account. I put ios 7 beta 4 onto my personal phone, which I now understand was very stupid of me, so please refrain from making that comment. What is happening is about a week after putting the beta build onto my phone it would not charge and eventually it died. At this point it will not turn on or do much of anything. The only thing that has been responsive is sometimes on screen it shows the empty battery picture with a few red bars like it needs to be charged. I feel like I have tried absolutely everything, I have used 2 different normal apple chargers, as well as a third party charger. I have plugged it into numerous wall outlets for up to 24 hours at a time to no avail. I have also plugged it into my computer but that has not worked. As so as I get any response I plan on restoring my phone back to IOS 7 but right now my computer doesnt recognize the phone because of the charging problems.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I would love to just take it to an Apple store, but there are none anywhere near me, so I am on my own I suppose.

Also, if this post is in the wrong location, please let me know so I can move it.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Try going into DFU mode and restoring the device.

3. noahkirsch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, unless I am wrong, going into DFU mode requires my iphone to be able to connect to itunes, which it wont do because my phone doesn't recognizing the charger.

4. t0mka macrumors newbie

Nice commercial for apple friend, you are not the first who has happend this thing.dunno what to say ,when i first read about it i diwngraded immidiately.dunno how to help u ...:$

5. noahkirsch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that was a smart move on your part, I move to college in less than a week with no phone, this is a little more than inconvenient, but I only have my self to blame, I would just like to fix it.

6. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Get ready to find out that:
    - It's a beta.
    - It's your fault.
    - It's a beta.
    - iOS 7 works just fine for (insert user here)
    - It's a beta.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

If you go into DFU, iTunes should be able to recognize it.

8. noahkirsch thread starter macrumors newbie

As an update, I was able to get my phone into DFU mode, and itunes recognizes it briefly and I get the message, "itunes has recognized an iPhone in recovery mode, you must restore it", or something along those lines you can see in the background that it sees the phone and you could recover, but when I hit okay on the message, it shows no phone connected. Its weird, but I guess Ill consider it progress, anyone know where to go from here?

----------

I got it to that point again, the exact message is, "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

----------

Oh wow, I think it might actually be restoring

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

There you go. ;)

10. noahkirsch thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thank you very much. If anyone reads this in the future, putting the phone into DFU mode is really touchy, the timing is very exact. I had to try it several times for it to actually work.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

He already said it was his fault. No need to rub it in his face :mad:

12. t0mka macrumors newbie

Hmm dfu mode helps you to resolve your problem,so why you weite iphone 5 is dead , so it isn't.
    I' m ASKING MYSELF How can your phone be dead after using ios 7 beta software? If this really happen apple will loose lot of users.?!

13. soy macrumors member

soy

For future reference, something similar has happened twice to me on different beta versions on my iPhone 5. Blank screen, no response to touch, button presses and charger being plugged in.

All I had to do to solve it was a hard reset (the regular holding home and lock button for 5 seconds), no need to restore.

14. t0mka macrumors newbie

I wanna know when u installed ios 7 beta 4 did u made that ota update or clean restore?

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's a beta and it's something Apple has likely already fixed with beta.

16. noahkirsch thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly don't know, sorry.

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

He wants to know if you did an OTA update when you installed beta 4 or did a clean install.

18. t0mka macrumors newbie

Couse best way to use beta is to do a clean restore, couse first time i see someone to complain how software can kill an iphone .:$

----------

How u mean fixed? In which beta?

19. batting1000 macrumors 604

It didn't kill it, it still works.

I'm saying Apple probably fixed the issue which caused it to die like the guy said his did. He's running beta 4 and Apple probably fixed it with beta 5.

20. t0mka macrumors newbie

It's not about fixing something,it's about the result of using beta software to kill your phone like the gay said xax:)

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

What? There was likely a bug that caused the device to die. Beta software doesn't "kill" your device unless there is a beta that causes it to, hence the name "beta".

22. t0mka macrumors newbie

U wanna say if apple knows that beta can f* up your device they are releasing it to deva doesn't matter what will happend? That's ************

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

You don't seem to understand the concept of a beta period, do you?

24. t0mka macrumors newbie

How can an iphone die and become useless of using beta software ?! Is it possible?

25. batting1000 macrumors 604

You're obviously just trolling at this point.