Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumpcbd

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Or just swipe up form the bottom and put the phone into Airplane mode until you can wipe it and reset it entirely.

(Yes, assuming that menu wasn't disabled by a smart user)

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security. Maybe this should not be posted?!?!?!? Now you've given every thief who monitors this site a head start until Apple fixes. Well done MacRumors!!!!
Sad reflection on the comment system that this garbage is the top comment. This exploit can be easily prevented so it is in the public good to get the word out. Furthermore, it cannot disable activation lock.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Or just swipe up form the bottom and put the phone into Airplane mode until you can wipe it and reset it entirely.

(Yes, assuming that menu wasn't disabled by a smart user)
What good is there in disabling the control centre besides inconveniencing yourself? A thief can easily power the device down until the SIM card can be pulled. Think please.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"The bypass only works on a device that does not have Touch ID or a Passcode enabled"

I will find some way to control my panic until the fix :p

(If they already have my phone, AND I don't have the phone locked, then Find My Phone never mattered and never will, except for getting my hardware back. My personal data? Already gone. They can now email my grandmother, knowing all kinds of personal stuff about me, and ask for money. Or whatever ID-related scam they want. Now, granted, the physical phone's value ain't peanuts! Find My Phone is great. But it's solving the smaller of two potential "thefts." Lock your phone, people!)

I do think it's more responsible to report the DETAILS only AFTER the fix. Report that there IS an issue, and how to fix it (lock code), then wait a reasonable time. That would be responsible security reporting (vs. maximizing ad views).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security. Maybe this should not be posted?!?!?!? Now you've given every thief who monitors this site a head start until Apple fixes. Well done MacRumors!!!!

That's right. Because we as consumers have no right to know about any security issues on our phones... let's just hush it all up because ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended

Sounds like a good enough excuse for a lawsuit as any. COMEON, EVERYONE! LET'S SUE MACRUMORS! :D

thumpcbd

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
What good is there in disabling the control centre besides inconveniencing yourself? A thief can easily power the device down until the SIM card can be pulled. Think please.

Duh? OMG you are so smart for figuring that one out. I thought the point was keeping the device powered on and preventing it from being found.

ACMemphis10

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
I don't keep a password on my iPhone but this could never happen to me. :)

Settings, General, Restrictions, Accounts, DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES

This means iCloud along with all my email accounts, etc. are "greyed out" in Settings and cannot be modified without enabling changes in Restrictions which requires my passcode.

Thanks!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's good to know that having a passcode/Touch ID will prevent this bug from being an issue though. If you're worried about theft, you should have those enabled in the first place, since even without the bug, a thief could do a lot of bad things with your phone.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
MacRumors has been able to successfully replicate this bug on an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 7.0.4, but could not get it to work on a device running iOS 7.1, so the flaw will likely be fixed with the upcoming update.

nothing to see here, moving on... wish Apple would release 7.1 now!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
As far as I'm concerned you're an idiot if you don't have a passcode on your phone. It's just like leaving your house unlocked.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Apple haven't really had a great record of fixing things quickly. Also I'm sure they could devise some software that could run through combinations of keystrokes etc to find things like this.
They should do better!

Sure they have. No amount of testing can find every possible outcome. Sorry, technology is too complicated.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
This requires an unauthorized user gain access to your phone without it already locked. So, really not "that" big of a security concern.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Phone setup without touchcode or a password, allowing the phone to be easily stolen? Please say it isn't so!

And expecting Apple to comment on a bug they've already addressed?

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security.

Yes, but they've also tipped off users to the fact that a passcode will prevent it, and let them know that it will be fixed in 7.1...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
You first have to unlock phone so this whole hack is useless for thieves..

I thought that, but the guy who made the video told us it was a MAJOR security flaw on Apple's PRIZED iOS 7 iCloud lock.

I distinctly remember Apple featuring that password check for turning off Find my iPhone in their commercials. /s

Seriously, if you have to get past Touch ID or passcode to even get in the phone, then there is nothing to see here. This is a minor flaw that is apparently already fixed in iOS 7.1.

If somebody really wants to thwart Find my iPhone the proper way is to power down the phone or pull the SIM.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Can confirm this bug is already fixed in 7.1, at least in beta 5, and perhaps earlier.

Good to know. I'll be updating to 7.1 as soon as it is released. In the meantime, adding an unlock passcode seems to make this "hack" pointless.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I don't keep a password on my iPhone but this could never happen to me. :)

Settings, General, Restrictions, Accounts, DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES

This means iCloud along with all my email accounts, etc. are "greyed out" in Settings and cannot be modified without enabling changes in Restrictions which requires my passcode.

thanks, my wife hates passcodes :eek:

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
So.. Basically, If I don't have my phone password protected and someone has physical access to it, they can change my settings and delete my data? Oh.. Ok.:rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple haven't really had a great record of fixing things quickly. Also I'm sure they could devise some software that could run through combinations of keystrokes etc to find things like this.
They should do better!

If all fixes were easy, they would happen quickly.

Since Apple rarely communicates about specific items fixed, I 'd say they don't have a great record of telling us about fixes.

Also, there are so many combinations of apps and system programming code components, that I find fit impossible for anybody to catch every random bug.

So, every once in a while somebody stumbles on something and wants their 5 minutes of fame.

It will be fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.