ios 7 eating all my data plan?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by benrd, Aug 9, 2013.

1. benrd macrumors member

hi guys

Have had a quick search and can't see a thread already so if there is apologies!

I have a 2gb per month data plan on my iphone 5 and the last two beta's seem to be eating through my data!?

My 2gb ran out on Tuesday 8th so i called up and paid £6 for an extra 750mb to get me through to 12th when it resets back to zero....

and today it has just ran out again?!

I am also experiencing much worse battery life than ios6 and beta's 1 to 3.

any ideas what could be causing this?
    I have used it since getting 750mb for facebook, ebay, light web browsing, once i am home it's on wifi

(I am not a developer)

2. BlankStar macrumors regular

Since iOS7 you can check how much data each app is using...

Might want to do that and see who's the culprit!

Settings > Mobile Network

3. ihop3y macrumors newbie

1) Not being a developer = tut
    2) If anything my data has got better on iOS7

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

after looking at my recent data usage on the phone itself, i really notice how little the phone actually uses for all the services. and im talking megabytes down to a small number of KB. unless you are streaming tons of video, i cant imagine using that much data from normal use.

for what its worth, im on wifi while at work and home, but cellular data when im out and about. i only use 700MB a month....and thats sharing the data plan with my wife lol.

5. benrd thread starter macrumors member

hey at least i admit I'm not a dev :)

i can see some culprits in there

facebook 628mb!
    chrome 155mb
    safari 383mb

not sure what date this is from though? the first beta if i haven't reset it?

I also notice a lot of apps I haven't used in months have a mobile data useage... they don't push notifications to me either... are auto updates using my mobile data do you think? only talking KB's of data but i don't see what it is

finnaly i see in system services there is some high data useage..
    exchange accounts 1.5gb
    docs and sync 25.7mb
    messaging 17.5mb (take it this is imessage?)

6. DarkRyoushii macrumors newbie

Well I think you just found your problem. That may either be an improperly configured Exchange server (never used it - really need to learn it - so not sure what control you have over it's push settings) or a bug in iOS that is making it check thousands of times a second or something weird like that.

What email accounts do you have synced to it? A business account and a personal account? Who are they with? You may get better luck by forwarding all emails from these accounts to a gmail account, and then using the gmail app from the app store to read these.

7. benrd thread starter macrumors member

I have the following email accounts set up

hotmail (just my old standard email, nothing major coming in here really, alerts, offers etc)

Live/hotmail - business email - not many emails in this one really, we do send some excel docs back and forth in this one but i dont tend to open them or anything on my phone

icloud - hardly any emails on this one

shame it doesnt break it down a bit - doesnt look to be any options in there.

8. benrd thread starter macrumors member

My data allowance reset today so have reset settings and having browsed a football forum for around 35 mins it has taken around 25mb ... Is that normal?
    May try using onavo

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Obviously not for normal web browsing without videos loading.
    Check your FB or Twitter client, and all the active apps. Can you list them here?

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Is your Mail setting this: Push on every 15 mins or 30 mins under (Mail / Contacts / Calendars ) - fetch new data ?
    And when close the apps there not "really" closed 'til jiggly x is hit .. :eek:

Im not on IOS7 .. Still on IOS 6 :eek:

11. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

iMessage seems to be using a ton of data on mine.

12. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Me too. Just got my "near limit" message yesterday. I wonder what causes this.

13. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

I've gone through my data a bit quick as well since updating to iOS 7. I finally noticed since updating my home network rarely gets recognized. It either doesn't connect automatically or says its unable to. So when I get home and start using my phone I'm on cellular as opposed to wifi. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone but keep an eye on that. I don't have this issue if I'm running iOS 6 so I know it's tied to iOS 7 and it being in beta.

14. Eddy Munn, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I've personally racked up two large phone bills over June and July, mainly because for a large period of that time the Podcasts app wouldn't download, I was having to stream all my podcasts instead of downloading them in the morning!
    EE aren't quick don't to tell you when you're near, or over your data limit.

Your data has got better?
    I don't understand. ;)

15. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Been on sale for free as I recall as well. Can definitely be useful, although not so much when you are on a plan when you are sharing data with other lines, unfortunately.

17. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It had a headache last week. Doc's prescription did wonders.

18. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Maybe check if you have automatic apps update on cellular data.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You may have an e-mail stuck in the outbox and the iOS mail keeps trying to send it out every few minutes. I tried this before and it made my phone red hot and constantly eating up all the data to a way that I want to take it to service (or give up iOS). Luckily I found the culprit!

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Video load lately? Anything you might be doing that is affecting your overall consumption?

I doubt the OS itself is causing huge data consumption spikes. Unless that is, you are downloading all the beta updates over the air.

21. benrd thread starter macrumors member

I've made some changes in the settings that seem to be helping a little and have deleted one of my email accounts.
    Also experienced it not connecting to home wifi but I suspect that is my router/connection rather than the phone.
    I donwloaded onavo and the odd thing is that shows me as having 37mb of use (and 9mb that it compressed/saved) yet in settings it shows I have used 77mb