Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
hi guys

Have had a quick search and can't see a thread already so if there is apologies!

I have a 2gb per month data plan on my iphone 5 and the last two beta's seem to be eating through my data!?

My 2gb ran out on Tuesday 8th so i called up and paid £6 for an extra 750mb to get me through to 12th when it resets back to zero....

and today it has just ran out again?!

I am also experiencing much worse battery life than ios6 and beta's 1 to 3.

any ideas what could be causing this?
I have used it since getting 750mb for facebook, ebay, light web browsing, once i am home it's on wifi

(I am not a developer)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Since iOS7 you can check how much data each app is using...

Might want to do that and see who's the culprit!

Settings > Mobile Network

ihop3y

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
hi guys

Have had a quick search and can't see a thread already so if there is apologies!

I have a 2gb per month data plan on my iphone 5 and the last two beta's seem to be eating through my data!?

My 2gb ran out on Tuesday 8th so i called up and paid £6 for an extra 750mb to get me through to 12th when it resets back to zero....

and today it has just ran out again?!

I am also experiencing much worse battery life than ios6 and beta's 1 to 3.

any ideas what could be causing this?
I have used it since getting 750mb for facebook, ebay, light web browsing, once i am home it's on wifi

(I am not a developer)

1) Not being a developer = tut
2) If anything my data has got better on iOS7

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
after looking at my recent data usage on the phone itself, i really notice how little the phone actually uses for all the services. and im talking megabytes down to a small number of KB. unless you are streaming tons of video, i cant imagine using that much data from normal use.

for what its worth, im on wifi while at work and home, but cellular data when im out and about. i only use 700MB a month....and thats sharing the data plan with my wife lol.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
hey at least i admit I'm not a dev :)

i can see some culprits in there

facebook 628mb!
chrome 155mb
safari 383mb

not sure what date this is from though? the first beta if i haven't reset it?

I also notice a lot of apps I haven't used in months have a mobile data useage... they don't push notifications to me either... are auto updates using my mobile data do you think? only talking KB's of data but i don't see what it is

finnaly i see in system services there is some high data useage..
exchange accounts 1.5gb
docs and sync 25.7mb
messaging 17.5mb (take it this is imessage?)

DarkRyoushii

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Exchange accounts 1.5GB

Well I think you just found your problem. That may either be an improperly configured Exchange server (never used it - really need to learn it - so not sure what control you have over it's push settings) or a bug in iOS that is making it check thousands of times a second or something weird like that.

What email accounts do you have synced to it? A business account and a personal account? Who are they with? You may get better luck by forwarding all emails from these accounts to a gmail account, and then using the gmail app from the app store to read these.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I have the following email accounts set up

hotmail (just my old standard email, nothing major coming in here really, alerts, offers etc)

Live/hotmail - business email - not many emails in this one really, we do send some excel docs back and forth in this one but i dont tend to open them or anything on my phone

icloud - hardly any emails on this one

shame it doesnt break it down a bit - doesnt look to be any options in there.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
My data allowance reset today so have reset settings and having browsed a football forum for around 35 mins it has taken around 25mb ... Is that normal?
May try using onavo

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
My data allowance reset today so have reset settings and having browsed a football forum for around 35 mins it has taken around 25mb ... Is that normal?
May try using onavo

Obviously not for normal web browsing without videos loading.
Check your FB or Twitter client, and all the active apps. Can you list them here?

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
I've gone through my data a bit quick as well since updating to iOS 7. I finally noticed since updating my home network rarely gets recognized. It either doesn't connect automatically or says its unable to. So when I get home and start using my phone I'm on cellular as opposed to wifi. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone but keep an eye on that. I don't have this issue if I'm running iOS 6 so I know it's tied to iOS 7 and it being in beta.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I've personally racked up two large phone bills over June and July, mainly because for a large period of that time the Podcasts app wouldn't download, I was having to stream all my podcasts instead of downloading them in the morning!
EE aren't quick don't to tell you when you're near, or over your data limit.

my data has got better on iOS7
Your data has got better?
I don't understand. ;)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You might be interested in this app for managing your data - it's 0.99$USD in the iTunes store. Well worth the price - versus what you'll pay for overages per MB or GB!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dataman-next-track-data-usage/id592962356?mt=8

That's in the US store - it may be available overseas also.
Been on sale for free as I recall as well. Can definitely be useful, although not so much when you are on a plan when you are sharing data with other lines, unfortunately.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You may have an e-mail stuck in the outbox and the iOS mail keeps trying to send it out every few minutes. I tried this before and it made my phone red hot and constantly eating up all the data to a way that I want to take it to service (or give up iOS). Luckily I found the culprit!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Video load lately? Anything you might be doing that is affecting your overall consumption?

I doubt the OS itself is causing huge data consumption spikes. Unless that is, you are downloading all the beta updates over the air.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I've made some changes in the settings that seem to be helping a little and have deleted one of my email accounts.
Also experienced it not connecting to home wifi but I suspect that is my router/connection rather than the phone.
I donwloaded onavo and the odd thing is that shows me as having 37mb of use (and 9mb that it compressed/saved) yet in settings it shows I have used 77mb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.