iOS 7 GM horribly buggy on my iPad 4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stooovie, Sep 11, 2013.

1. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Look at this. Keyboard daemon crashing all over the place (you can see diagnostic logs in the second half of the video). Can't type in Safari. This is AFTER resetting settings and rebooting. Clean DFU install of GM with subsequent restore from backup.

In addition to that, 4-finger pinch closing animation is jerky and glitchy. There's jerkiness all over the place. This is really sad for a flagship product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1IqQ2zObw

(Please wait for youtube to process/rotate the video)

EDIT: I can't type ANYWHERE. Oh lord. Another DFU restore incoming, I need to use the iPad in an hour.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That's to be expected! iOS is in bet.... Oh wait a minute.

3. irnchriz, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's solid but there are definite UI issues, ranging from keyboard lag (more noticeable if you're a good typist on iOS) to less than smooth UI transitions when rotating the device. And the 4 finger pinch to home animation is a definite issue. It's a different animation altogether to what you get when pressing the home button.

5. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, initial setup doesn't ask for regional settings/language. That's really weird. It DID do that on the iphone 5.

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Well spotted, come to think of it I was exactly the same.

7. andijames macrumors member

Out of curiosity was that on a restore or update? It didn't ask me to go through any setup either when i updated my phone but i think it does on restore? I may be wrong though.

8. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I've stated in the original post, this was a clean DFU restore. You can't go cleaner than that :)

9. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Yeah, I had assumed the pinch animation would be fixed for the GM but it's as glitchy as ever. Horrible to look at.

10. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

I must be blessed by the lord saviour Jesus Christ because i have hadn't really had anything much go wrong with the i0S GM. Its been pretty stable.

11. RJCP macrumors 6502

Iphone update went absolutely perfect.

ipad 4... Where to start? Choppy animations, iTunes library went crazy with tracks in my albums not showing up in the right order which is driving me insane. All the remaining stuff people have reported, I'm experiencing as well.

Why on earth did they release the ipad versions with so much problems???

12. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I dare you to say it's beta, I double dare you!!!!!

13. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I haven't updated mine to GM but this sounds horrible.

14. RJCP macrumors 6502

It's a Golden Beta Master...

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

iPhone version isn't entirely free of problems. For example, when you unlock there is an annoying delay before you can do anything on the home screen (swipe between pages, access spotlight, etc.)

There are also other random hitches and delays through the OS. This system definitely needed a bit more polish. It's probably just more noticeable on the iPad because of its bigger screen and 4x as many pixels.

16. RJCP macrumors 6502

I think in the iphone case it's just they way they engineered the animation with a slight delay when the icons are almost in place. It doesn't seem to me like poor graphic performamce / optimisation which is definitely the case with the ipad 4.

EDIT: also, when I'm trying to change the wallpaper and tap the one I want, there a good 5 second delay until the preview appears and another good 5 seconds after confirming.

17. domenicop macrumors member

Would you advise me against updating from beta 6?

18. RJCP macrumors 6502

I never ran beta 6 so I'm not sure. But there are definitely little-noticeable lags everywhere. Sometimes even in stuff as simple as changing the keyboard from letters to numbers/symbols section

19. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I noticed that too, on both an iPad 3 and an iPad 2. There are long delays during which there is no apparent response.

And I agree that the animations are jerky. I was surprised that the iPad GMs were released yesterday. I thought the iPad betas were all so far from polished that they were clearly prioritizing the iPhone/iPod Touch versions and would finish up the iPad versions over the next month before the presumed iPad announcement.

On the plus side, the most glaring iPad bugs such as the four-fingered swipe to close crashing the iPad were fixed.

John

20. ColdnFrosty macrumors newbie

ColdnFrosty

Try changing a background with an iPad 3 ... takes about 30-45 sec.

21. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Fixed that for you.;)

22. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You can DFU restore all you want — the problems are coming when you restore your backup, which puts you roughly in the same spot as you were beforehand.

Do a DFU restore and set up as new. Put your iCloud settings in and manually set things back up. Unless you have an obscenely complicated setup, typing in a few passwords here and there and skimming through Settings tweaking things shouldn't take you much more than half an hour, including syncing your apps back. It's a pain, but once it's done, I can almost guarantee you that your problems will be gone. If they're not then, well, you can have your money back (ha). But I'm 92.5% sure they will be. The same advice goes for Macs. Wiping a hard drive and installing a clean system is no good at all if you restore a buggy Time Machine backup onto that.

23. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

No it does not solve farm rate drop, slow animation, slow wallpaper change issue even without restore from back up. I set iPad 3 completely new and no backup restored. Still same thing.

24. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I'm having all the same problems as everyone else here. There's also a folder bug in the dock where rotating the device causes a weird color to the folder.

Don't even get me going on the the music app. Sooooo much wasted space not only in the app but on the lock screen. Plus the font sizes are all over the place in music.

Multitasking only shows us 3 apps?????? Really???. Size 140 font lock screen? It literally is a blown up ipod and not in a good way.

"At Apple, we took everything we bragged about and everything our customers loved about the iPads big beautiful canvas and threw it away with iOS 7".
    -Tim Cook

25. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Day = Made.