iOS 7 GM iPad 3 performance...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JohnnyW2001, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

I've already started to hear stories about the performance of iOS 7 being horrible on the lesser powerful models like the iPad 3. Does anyone have any experience of the new iOS 7 GM on their iPad 3 (or 2 or Mini, for that matter).

If so, what's it like? Is it slow and unresponsive? :(

2. Pared macrumors 65816

No issues here. Still syncing but everything works well so far. None of the slowness I've seen one person mention.

3. JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

6. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

iOS 7 seems very responsive to me across iPad mini, iPad 2, iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

iPad mini and iPad 2 performance isn't as fast and iPhone 5 or iPad 4 obviously but it's running very well either way.

If you run into performance issues do a full restore and give it some time after that. The syncing of contacts and calendars and photos I saw cause temporary performance issues on A5-class hardware during beta and could be the same now

7. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

It's still not close to as good on iPad 4 as it is on iPhone 5, that I can tell you for certain. It seems stable, but you notice the lack of attention paid to the frame rate when you pinch to return to home.

It drops several frames and, frankly, suggests that the animation should be simplified on iPad. Just have something less fancy take its place. For example, it's fine when you use the home button, so have that animation regardless of what you're pinching out of.

The App Store isn't fantastic, either. It's better than it was with the last beta, but it's still laggy for a few seconds on launch, and if you go to an app and click on the screen shots, you'll notice the low frame rate for the first swipe or two. Not something that happens on the phone.

Rotation of the iPad is the other one that stands out - skipping frames. It's all cosmetic stuff, but does suggest a relative lack of pride and focus in the tablet version. It feels a bit Android 2011 on iPad, whereas iPhone 5 is brilliantly smooth.

8. Errk! macrumors 6502

I updated an iPad 3 this evening and am thrilled with how responsive and fast it is. Animations are smooth and everything just runs great. Very pleased.

9. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I can tell you Android tablets in 2013 are every bit as laggy as they were in 2011.

10. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I did a complete wipe and restore to iOS 7 GM, restored from backup, and reset all settings and it's still giving me a couple issues:

-Setting a new wallpaper causes the iPad to hang for a while, and chosen wallpaper is sideways in the home and lock screens until restarting
    -Animation of icons on the home screen after closing an app with 4 finger gesture is always choppy, looks like an error with the animation itself. Other animations look fine

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

You obviously don't have an iPhone 5 to see how iOS 7 is supposed to run.

----------

This! Especially the animation of the four finger gesture seems so... beta :confused:.

Also, has anyone noticed how weird the animation is when pinching from Safari? The background is just a huge blur that suddenly becomes clear when the animation ends, it seems to work normal on every other app.

12. Errk! macrumors 6502

Yes, I do.

13. 2IS macrumors 68030

Still not as smooth as iOS 6 but much better than the beta on my ipad 3