iOS 7 is lifeless, graphically feels like a step back

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by furam90, Jun 26, 2013.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Just updated to iOS7 and honestly I was expecting it to be a lot better graphically.

They went way overboard with the non-skeumorphism thing and basically nuked any sign of life throughout the whole iOS (and mistakenly tried to correct it with weird pastel colored icons).

Don't get me wrong, functionally it seems a lot better, but it is so god damned dull. All the small little lines outlining commands, the narrow thin text, and the pervasive use of black, white and gray with the complete lack of shadowing is just way overboard and takes "flat" to a whole new level. Just look at something like the stopwatch app (I use it a lot for running), it seriously looks like someone drew two circles on a piece of paper with the time displaying. Sure its just a stopwatch app, but why does it have to look like something out of Windows 95? Hello.. we have a retina display for a reason...

They just took the whole simplicity thing too far, and now instead of simple its just boring. Anyone else feel this way?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Given quite a few threads discussing the same exact thing...yeah, there are other people who feel that way.

3. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Just look at this cold, cold hearted man. I knew this was bound to happen with iOS 7..
    I have complete respect for his work in hardware design. BUT! Software, absolutely don't.

[​IMG]

vs

iOS 6 and previous:

[​IMG]

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Visually it does need a little tweaking but the more it looks like iOS 6 the more people will complain that it looks like iOS 6.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

C'mon...fess up...

You're joking...right!?

You pick two photos, and make judgements about the person's character?

What a kidder...:rolleyes:

6. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

This made me LMAO. LOL!

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Beta 1 or beta 2? It makes a big difference.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

The overall/general design hasn't really changed between the betas.

9. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but that doesn't mean they have to suck all the life out of the OS. They're onto something with the whole layering they've got going, but there's a way to do simplicity while still having 'life.' Like this mockup:

[​IMG]

As opposed to this,, the current iOS 7:

[​IMG]

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Boring? You must've not seen the parallax effect or the multitasking bar.
    Lifeless? Have you seen the way iMessage chat bubbles react to scrolling?
    I'm sorry but I don't follow... :rolleyes:

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why don't people use the search function, and post in an established I don't like iOS7 thread?

If iOS 7 isn't to your liking, you can stick with iOS 6 or try another platform.

12. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

"Only iOS7 has the power to bring dullness to reality with such elegance and grace; you can literally feel the soul draining boredom of IOS7 at your fingertips. This magical feeling of drabness is leaps and bounds ahead of its competitors."

-Jonny Ive

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So let me get this straight.. when someone has a valid comment you just reply with a quote from Ive? Got it!

14. Damolee macrumors 6502

It's great for testing dead pixels though.

Too much white going on if you ask me.

Doesn't that suck more battery juice on these screens? Or is that AMOLED? I always forget.

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

OP stated the features were great. Paralax and multitasking are part of features, not looks. The physical design, is what he's complaining about.

And I agree. Apple did go from one extreme to the other. Such a drastic change was unecessary. Their is a right way to do flat, and the way they chose , IMO, wasnt it.

----------

Apps and their updates will probably not be supported in a few years on iOS6, and i think all the other platforms suck <my opinion - dont haze me>

16. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, just got my first phone call on it. Is the slide to answer/decline graphic serious? Narrow Red text on a gray transluscent background? Looks like someone told a 12 year old to design a graphic in paint...in 1995.

Maybe its my background?

----------

Yikes, honestly I thought your post was sarcasm/joking. So I was just making another joke.

17. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

It's weird how iOS 7 can be both flashy and dull.

18. JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

She's/He's apparently incapable of reading. Don't worry about it.

19. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Lol, I cant really blame them. So many times Ive entered a thread only to reply to the title and not read the OP :p

20. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I actually totally disagree. It feels like a leap forward to me. The colors are a bit bright, but I really like the simplicity, thin lines, and fonts. And the use of the frosted glass for things like the notification center/control center really means the whole OS feels different depending on your own wallpaper. I have iOS 7 installed on my iPad, and now when I go back to my iPhone, with iOS 6, it just feels so dated.

Keep in mind that when I saw iOS 7 demonstrated at WWDC I was taken aback, and didn't really like it. But in person, and in use on an actual device, I love it.

21. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

You didn't read the "quote", did you?

22. JohnnyW2001, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

That isn't something to be proud of.

23. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Not too sure what i07 is, but I think iOS 7 is full of life and graphically looks wonderful

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Its the most modern os in the world right now. Get with the times and out of the pool hall.

25. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, yeah I really messed that one up didn't I. Not only did I forget the S but I used a 0 instead of an O. In my defense, I only got 4 hours of sleep last night.