iOS 7 Lock Button

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Nickash28, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Nickash28 macrumors member

Anyone else experiencing an unresponsive lock button after updating to iOS7? Wondering if I ran into a coincidental hardware issue.

2. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Not here some normal finger presses on in house apps as not as responsive, but overall one of the best betas we have tried

3. Kase17 macrumors newbie

Yea I'm as well experiencing this. I press the lock button and it doesnt respond. I have to press it again or maybe 2 more times for the phone to register. Its def software because my phone was fine in ios6 and i update it to ios7 and was having battery drain but didn't have this lock issue. So I restore to ios6 and then install fresh ios7. no backup and now this is happening.

4. mjcxp macrumors regular

5. bbugs280 macrumors newbie

This happen to me as well, it appears after I've upgraded to iOS7 my lock button is not very responsive. After playing around, I figured out that you have to release the button very fast. So try a very snap press and release, it will lock your phone everytime. Hope Apple will fix this soon.

6. Kahio macrumors member

Still

I noticed this issue since updating to Beta 4

Any comments?:confused:

7. mojo8472 macrumors member

My lock button works perfectly when you click it on the left-hand side, but not at all when you click the right-hand side. Is this the same for anyone else?

8. crookadile macrumors regular

My son had the same problem on his iPhone 5, turned out to be a faulty button.
    Apparently it's a common fault.
    He took it back to the Apple shop in Sheffield and they swapped it for a brand new phone.
    He's on ios6 by the way so his was a hardware fault not software.

9. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

I took my phone in the apple and they determined it was hardware. My friend has an iPhone 5 with ios 6 and experienced the same thing but got a biz card and slid a corner down between the button and cleaned out dirt then popped it with some canned air and it's fine again.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Yes, I am also experiencing this since updating to beta 4.

----------

While it is a fairly common problem, this is beta 4 causing the problem and it's not hardware related.

11. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

I was demonstrating that both myself (iPhone 5 + iOS7 user) and my friend (iPhone 5 + iOS 6 user) experienced similar behaviors that didn't have anything to do with iOS7 and more to do with the hardware starting to fail after a certain amount of time (we both got the phones around the same time)

12. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Myself, as well as many people I know, have this problem on ios6 and ios7. although it seems to be a little more pronounced in beta 4

13. cleo1 macrumors regular

Yes, and have you noticed the button works better when it's warm? It's from actual contraction of the components!

14. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

That was my experience and what prompted me to take it to the apple store.

15. cleo1 macrumors regular

It's hardware but there IS A SOLUTION (at least a partial one: Go into Settings/Accessibility/Accessibility Shortcut (very bottom). Choose 'Assistive Touch'. Now, exit out of Settings and triple-click the home button. A virtual button will appear, which can be moved anywhere on the screen. Tap the button, then 'Devices/Lock Screen'. Congratulations! You've created virtual lock button!

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

In these cases, it may have been hardware, but beta 4 has made a lot of lock buttons work intermittently, meaning it's a software problem.

While it can be a hardware problem, it is beta 4 that is causing this. I have reverted back to iOS 6 and all was fine. Upon installing iOS 7 beta 4, the home button continued to not work properly.

17. cleo1, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

cleo1 macrumors regular

String of coincidences. While it is unlikely, it happens. Hardware.

Try this. Make a Genius Bar appointment, utter the magical phrase 'broken lock button', and they will have you out the door with a brand new iPhone so fast you will be scratching your head in amazement at the relative painlessness of the process.

----------

18. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

But I don't need a new iPhone as there is nothing wrong with the one that I have.

There are many peoples lock buttons who are not working properly after upgrading to beta 4. I then confirmed that my lock button works fine in iOS 6. This is not a coincidence is the slightest. It's an iOS 7 beta 4 issue.

As I said, while this also happens due to hardware issues, my particular case and many others on this thread are caused by a software issue.

19. cleo1 macrumors regular

I'm telling you, you're all mistaken. And did you try the software fix I suggested?

----------

See below:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov%27s_dog

20. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

Same issue after updating to beta 4. It seems to be happening only if you set a passcode. At first I though it was happening only if Simple Pass code was turned off, but now I'm seeing it happening to ether way. Seems like I'll have to live without a pass code on my phone until beta 5 or whenever the fix is.

21. cleo1 macrumors regular

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov%27s_dog

22. chumps52 macrumors regular

Bit late, but still happening to me on Beta 5 (Also happened for me on Beta 4).

23. lint2015 macrumors member

You guys should really restore back to iOS 6 to confirm that it's definitely not also happening there so you can get it checked out while still under warranty. To me, it sounds like a hardware problem that just happened to manifest while you had iOS 7 installed, rather than a bug in iOS 7.

If it does turn out to only happen in iOS 7, then you should be OK. But if you're adamant that it's a bug without properly troubleshooting things, well all I can say then is "Not my problem."

24. Jase4yaz macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 has a rocker as a lock button!!!

Reading his post at first I thought Mojo was mistaken, but no, the iPhone 5 actually has 2 buttons for the lock button depending on which side you press down on it.

For EVERYONE on iOS 7 with the iPhone 5, I have been having the issue the entire time not being able to lock the dang phone by hitting the button. But it actually works.

Inorder to lock the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 you need to press down on the lock button from the left side!!!!

25. cleo1 macrumors regular

This is a hardware problem. The effectiveness of the 'push-from-left' method illustrates this fact perfectly—the actual contact for the button is beneath the left side, hence applying direct downward force is more likely to displace any obstructing dirt or corrosion. Try this: leave the phone in the sun for a few minutes. Do you have an easier time working the button? This is due to expansion of the metallic components. Physics, not software.