Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
How do you make it from your bed to the front door every day? Don't you immediately puke when you see cars zooming by upon opening said front door?

I call HUGE...BS.

Cunning job, Samsung Internet Posting Div.

----------

What's most fascinating is how not a single one of the millions of people who had iOS7 in Beta had this issue. Clearly the odds are astounding since:

-it's well documented that 5-10% of people have motion sickness.
-this thread documents that this "motion sickness" is immediately apparent.

Nice detective work Sherlock, you caught us all red-handed!! - Samsung Internet Posting Division

You would make a great doctor:
"hey doc, i'm having trouble breathing..."
"I CALL BS!!!"

Instead of sounding like a insensitive idiot, remember google is your friend.

The issue was experienced by some during Beta testing of IOS 7:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594695/

http://reverttosaved.com/2013/06/26...ickness-triggers-in-os-x-mavericks-and-ios-7/

But as you can see in the MacRumors thread above from June, any time someone mentioned any problems, they were blasted and ridiculed, just as in this thread. It's a case of the 95% majority belittling any issue experienced by the 5%, no matter the seriousness.

My guess is that most of the Beta users were developers spending most of their time working on their own app, instead of opening and closing all different apps, like a regular iPhone user.

And even if 5-10% of the Beta users noted the issue, maybe Apple was not ready to implement a change based on such a small percentage of affected users, since they put all that time and effort into creating such a "cool" animation. I agree it did look neat when I first tried it. But after 30 minutes, I felt dizzyness and headaches and feeling of nausea, just like the hundreds of others posting on these forums...

How about instead of spending all day doing all that great detective work of yours, please spend some time reading other user experiences:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2067/off-topic-anyone-else-experiencing-motion-sickness-on-ios-7

https://discussions.apple.com/searc...ame=&username=&rankBy=relevance&numResults=15

Once again, I like my iPhone and IOS 7. I'm not some troll looking to stir up bad press. All we want is a toggle switch to enable/disable this animation because it causes some serious issues for 5-10% of us...

----------

The thin text could be exacerbating it: Because the text is thin and faint, it's hard to read so you hold the phone closer. That increases the screen's share of your field of view. So your brain sees more zooming graphics and less of the stable outside world.

Anyway, I just turned on bold text (under accessibility) and also increased the font size so that it looks more like iOS6. Luckily, I have on old phone running iOS6 for side-by-side comparisons.

Huge improvement in readability. Thanks!

Thanks for the tips, I have turned on bold text now and I do prefer it.

However, the main issue I think for most of us is the animation of apps zooming in and out.

My *only* solution these past 4 days is to just close my eyes or look away.

Fingers crossed that this is getting some attention from Apple and we get a option to disable soon within the Accessibility menu.

And everyone, please send a quick email to: accessibility@apple.com

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Max do you also ridicule and laugh at your passengers who are feeling a bit sick in the air?

This thread is not referring to "wallpaper" or the parallax effect, which can be disabled with the "Reduce Motion" option.

Most of us are referring to the zooming in/out animation when opening/closing apps.
I didn't laugh at you, neither.
I just said you are exaggerating things ...

Air sickness is a real and somewhat common side effect of human "poor flying attitude" (there is a reason if we have not wings, after all :D), caused by something a little bit more complex than just what are you seeing ...

I'm fine if you don't like iOS 7 UI, it's subjective. But motion sickness is beyond my comprehension ...
I know people have problem with some first person shooters, but we are speaking about an almost static wallpaper and some animations on a small screen.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Oh, for pity's sake, if the motion effect causes someone problems, it's a horrible feeling. :(

I've experienced motion sickness symptoms from a variety of sources since before I was 6 years old. Carsick meds on every family vacation and still puked. Situation finally got better when I became old enough to do the driving myself. It never happens now, as long as I'm not the passenger, and I definitely never, ever ride in the back seat.

Have you ever watched a monitor over someone's shoulder while they were scrolling up & down a Google search screen? For me, there's an instant woozy feeling and I have to look away for a minute or so before the feeling abates. If I look back again, back it comes. :( If I'm able to control the rate of movement myself, then all is well. It seems that the automated effect in iOS 7 does not allow adjusting for individual situational responses.

Naysayers should educate themselves and jackass naysayers should be quiet & crawl back under their bridges. :mad:

Last edited:

ensorceled

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
How do you make it from your bed to the front door every day? Don't you immediately puke when you see cars zooming by upon opening said front door?

I call HUGE...BS.

Cunning job, Samsung Internet Posting Div.

Wow, really. That's your position? We're all Samsung shills?

Cars don't make me puke but Skyrim, boats in rough water and iOS7 all do.

Accessibility is something Apple users used to be proud of. Making fun of people with accessibility issues? This is a new low for Apple Fan Boy's I've not encountered before and I've been an Apple user since it stopped being NeXT.

Last edited:

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
After two days with ios 7, I wake up with my eyes hurting and a slight headache.

My only solution so far is to look away or close my eyes when opening and closing apps.

I would downgrade to ios 6 in a second if there was an easy and safe way because of these headaches.

I couldn't figure out what was going on. It started on the 18th when I upgraded my iPhone 4 to ios7. My eyes would hurt before I went to bed and even when waking up.

So I got tired of ios7 and downgraded before the window closed. I didn't really think anything of it because I'm generally healthy person. I don't suffer from any type of motion sickness. But I got the 5s on launch day and my eyes were in pain when I woke up. Keep in mind that verizon crap wireless is still unable to get my 5s to work on their extended network partner, So other than trying to get it to work and setting up the phone, I haven't spent much time on it.

This is for Mr. Jonny I'm a pilot and I know everything. I also found out that I still have better than 20/20 vision when getting my flight physical before getting my personal pilots license.

Thanks for this thread, I would not have had another variable to think about. I thought it was just due to the extreme brightness of ios7. I love apple but ios7 looks like something a 4 year old designed color wise, or lack there of I should say...

1234mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Update: I did find one temporary solution that seems to help. Move your most-used apps to the middle of the screen. Since the zoom effect originates where the icon is located, having it zoom from all areas of the screen each time I opened a different app was nauseating. It's definitely not an ideal fix, but moving my most used apps to the middle of the screen means most of the zooming starts in the middle and in the same place and seems to have helped a little.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I couldn't figure out what was going on. It started on the 18th when I upgraded my iPhone 4 to ios7. My eyes would hurt before I went to bed and even when waking up.

So I got tired of ios7 and downgraded before the window closed. I didn't really think anything of it because I'm generally healthy person. I don't suffer from any type of motion sickness. But I got the 5s on launch day and my eyes were in pain when I woke up. Keep in mind that verizon crap wireless is still unable to get my 5s to work on their extended network partner, So other than trying to get it to work and setting up the phone, I haven't spent much time on it.

This is for Mr. Jonny I'm a pilot and I know everything. I also found out that I still have better than 20/20 vision when getting my flight physical before getting my personal pilots license.

Thanks for this thread, I would not have had another variable to think about. I thought it was just due to the extreme brightness of ios7. I love apple but ios7 looks like something a 4 year old designed color wise, or lack there of I should say...
And what the hell your 20/20 vision, Mr personal pilot license (ooh I'm impressed), has to do with motion sickness ?

You are speaking about your eyes in pain apparently due to an higher brightness and a different color palette in iOS 7: nothing in common with motion sickness caused by animations and wallpaper ....
Motion sickness doesn't cause eyes pain.

----------

Well, clearly.

Your insensitivity is beyond my comprehension.
Insensitivity ? Just because I have difficulties in trusting someone that puke every time he's looking at his phone ?

I'm not denying motion sickness in any way.
It's a real problem and people suffer from it in different ways.

But we are speaking about A PHONE: how many hours do you spend looking at it and switching between apps ????
I know that a game session with a first person shooter could cause motion sickness to a subject.
But a phone .....

Anyway, I'm not going to debate furthermore about the issue.
I have the strong impression that most of the whining here are just the usual crowd of apple basher storming the forum on every apple new release.
I'm sad for the few of you that have a real problem with a phone and animations and I hope apple will add the option to disable all animations in the future.

Last edited:

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Insensitivity ? Just because I have difficulties in trusting someone that puke every time he's looking at his phone ?

I'm not denying motion sickness in any way.
It's a real problem and people suffer from it in different ways.

But we are speaking about A PHONE: how many hours do you spend looking at it and switching between apps ????
I know that a game session with a first person shooter could cause motion sickness to a subject.
But a phone .....

Max, why do you keep posting in this thread where you believe everyone here is an untrustworthy liar? Don't you have a better use of your time? Please spend more time in other threads that are more trustworthy.

Even with dozens and dozens of people across different forums reporting similar issues, you don't "trust" any of us?? Not just newbies, but many long time regular members as well.

Those affected are posting here to share our common experiences and problems, with the hope that it can help bring this REAL issue to light and get Apple to provide an option to disable it.

This will not affect your personal IOS 7 iPhone experience, you can have as many zooming animations as you like. But for us who are genuinely affected, we just want one more option in the Accessibility menu.

I use my iPhone for work. I check it 100+ times a day and switch between many apps, which amounts to hundreds of zooming animations as I unlock and switch apps. I hold my phone 8 inches away to read it, so it takes up a good percentage of my field of view and the repeated zooming causes discomfort and nausea and a lingering headache at the end of day.

Doesn't matter if it's a 40" TV or a 4" phone, there are many of us particularly sensitive to this.

Regardless, you don't believe any of this, so I would advise you to visit other threads.

Last edited:

karl184

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
California
I also suffer motion sickness and it really sucks to have one. I'm relatively young there are stuff that I can't do or must avoid doing. For example, I had to load up my body with motion sickness meds one day before a boat ride just so I can enjoy it (but sleepy because of its side effects) and not end up nauseated and puking all over the boat or in the water.

I tried my friend's phone who upgraded to iOS 7 and I noticed that I got dizzy and nauseated particularly from opening apps.

I haven't upgraded my own iPhone and iPad to iOS 7 yet since I really like my jailbreak. I hope Apple gives users the option to disable certain animations soon or atleast before the jailbreak is released.

applegirlz

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Glad to see I'm not alone or a freak! Did a google search and found these forums today...

I just got my iPhone 5S, upgraded from from a iPhone 5.

I was so excited about scoring a Gold model and playing with it all day yesterday, but after an hour, I realized that my head was spinning, like nausea or something. Then when I turned the phone back on, I realized I couldn't bear to look at apps flying at me.

Sounds strange and silly, but I've now developed a "fear" of unlocking my phone, because of my headaches!

I am not generally prone to motion sickness either. Never had any problems on my iPhone 5 at all.

Apple please fix this asap!

Does anyone from Apple read these forums? What can we do? Is there any realistic hope? :confused:

mRta03

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
applegirlz, I'm happy you scored a gold iPhone 5s. :)

But, like you, I'm also wondering what would be my reaction just to play with an iPhone 5 or 5S, because with my iPhone 4, I don't feel sick or nauseated. And I'm VERY prone to that. With this older models, you don't have so many effects and now I'm glad with this, since the iOS 7 made me wait before updating my iPhone. But now, with this problem.... I don't know. I can't spend the all day "scared" of touching my phone.

I guess most people find this ridiculous or, somehow, hilarious, but this is a true medical condition. Most things were already said, but since Apple really cares with Accessibility, I guess we can expect some updates in the future.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
This thread is just ridiculous :rolleyes:

To anyone who feels like they get motion sickness from using iOS7 there is a simple solution...don't use it and move on to another product. I can guaranty you the amount of people that experience any sort of motion sickness from iOS7 makes up probably 0.001% of Apples customer base. To think they are going to change something for this small a customer base is laughable. Example; when Apple killed off the 17" MacBook Pro people just couldn't believe this and stated things like "Apple will lose so much business ect...." but the thing is the 17" MBP only made up like 3% of MBP sales, so in the end it didn't hurt Apple one little bit.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
This thread is just ridiculous :rolleyes:

To anyone who feels like they get motion sickness from using iOS7 there is a simple solution...don't use it and move on to another product. I can guaranty you the amount of people that experience any sort of motion sickness from iOS7 makes up probably 0.001% of Apples customer base. To think they are going to change something for this small a customer base is laughable. Example; when Apple killed off the 17" MacBook Pro people just couldn't believe this and stated things like "Apple will lose so much business ect...." but the thing is the 17" MBP only made up like 3% of MBP sales, so in the end it didn't hurt Apple one little bit.

Merky, I just spent over $500 to get the new iPhone 5S and you're telling me to sell it? Talk about ridiculous and laughable...

I don't want to sell the phone, I really like it and am pleased with iOS7.

I am a diehard Apple fan and love my iPhones, had every version since the 3GS. Never had any problems. But this new phone is causing an issue with the animation and giving me sick nausea type feelings, like I'm watching a shaky 3D movie.

Apple already provides options to make the font bigger or smaller for people with trouble seeing small text. Similarly, it wouldn't be too much trouble for them to disable animations for people who are affected.

I assure you that more than 0.001% is affected.

Last edited:

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
as someone who gets carsick, one of the first things i did when I upgrade my OS to 7 on my iPhone 5 was disable motion. I am sure others have posted it, but here it is:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion.

Macworld has a good article on shutting the motion animations and other things.

Karmac, thanks for the info, however the "Reduce Motion" only disables the parallax wallpaper. It has no effect on the zooming animations, which seem to the cause of most problems on this thread.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Out of curiosity how does someone who is sensitive watch a video especially sports or a music video with all the movement? I guess almost all video games are impossible to watch.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Out of curiosity how does someone who is sensitive watch a video especially sports or a music video with all the movement? I guess almost all video games are impossible to watch.

Julian, I can only speak for myself, but most movements are fine for me but a few make me sick almost immediately. It may be hard to understand for someone who does not suffer, but it is very real and uncomfortable. I am a healthy and active adult (play lots of sports) with no other ailments.

For example, I can watch sports and music videos all day long, but I cannot play a first person shooter game like Halo or Call of Duty.

I can watch action movies, but I cannot watch 3D movies.

I can drive my car all day long, but I cannot play a driving or flying simulator game.

I can ride the fastest and steepest rollercoaster, but I cannot ride a merry-go-round at the playground.

I can ride in a train/car/airplane, but I cannot ride sitting backwards.

I can swim all day in the ocean, but I cannot sit on a rocking boat.

Finally, I can use IOS 6 all day long, but cannot tolerate 2 minutes with IOS 7, specifically due to the zooming animation.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Julian, I can only speak for myself, but most movements are fine for me but a few make me sick almost immediately. It may be hard to understand for someone who does not suffer, but it is very real and uncomfortable. I am a healthy and active adult (play lots of sports) with no other ailments.

For example, I can watch sports and music videos all day long, but I cannot play a first person shooter game like Halo or Call of Duty.

I can watch action movies, but I cannot watch 3D movies.

I can drive my car all day long, but I cannot play a driving or flying simulator game.

I can ride the fastest and steepest rollercoaster, but I cannot ride a merry-go-round at the playground.

I can ride in a train/car/airplane, but I cannot ride sitting backwards.

I can swim all day in the ocean, but I cannot sit on a rocking boat.

Finally, I can use IOS 6 all day long, but cannot tolerate 2 minutes with IOS 7, specifically due to the zooming animation.

Me. :( When riding a subway, I must be facing forward. I can sit on a sideways seat, back against the wall or window, but must turn my head to face the direction of travel or I get queasy. And no reading while on the train, not even a map.

Anyone play Moonlight Mahjong? When you win, all of the tiles come rushing toward you & if I watch that, I get dizzy. On the iPad, it's an awful sensation. The game's good, though, as is winning. :)

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...It may be hard to understand for someone who does not suffer, but it is very real and uncomfortable. I am a healthy and active adult (play lots of sports) with no other ailments...

Actually I do suffer some motion sickness. I would NEVER go on a cruise and could not sleep or read more that a few minutes in a moving car. Also I have a projection system (133") and when the PS3 came out (I bought as a BD player at the time and I'm not a gamer) tried playing a 1st person road racing game and it was a little nauseating.

I just have a hard time seeing how the movement of icons on a small screen has an effect when it only lasts about 1 second (also have an iPad and don't notice any effect). It just seems that if sensitive to such a minor movement on such a small scale in such a short time frame would mean that any movement that was more in any or all categories would cause even more discomfort.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Other people's understanding of how an issue like this can exist or even simple belief of whether or not an issue such as this one exists or even can exist isn't required for the issue to actually exist and affect various people.

The sooner people would understand that simple fact, the sooner they can avoid wasting their time posting in threads like this pointlessly questioning something that has nothing to do with them and that they don't even care about.

But, as is usually the case, even this simple truth will be too much for a lot of people. :rolleyes:

applegirlz

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Other people's understanding of how an issue like this can exist or even simple belief of whether or not an issue such as this one exists or even can exist isn't required for the issue to actually exist and affect various people.

The sooner people would understand that simple fact, the sooner they can avoid wasting their time posting in threads like this pointlessly questioning something that has nothing to do with them and that they don't even care about.

But, as is usually the case, even this simple truth will be too much for a lot of people. :rolleyes:

Yes exactly!

And I have already emailed apple at:

accessibility@apple.com

Here is the generic response I received, but hopefully they're actually reading these emails. If you haven't already, can everyone email them? Hundreds of emails on this topic would be hard to ignore! :)

[417761] IOS 7 animation causing nausea and dizzyness and headaches

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the feedback and will pass this on to the appropriate people for their consideration.

Apple Accessibility

Please also visit our sites
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/
http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.