Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in4fun

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
also just installed it on an 8GB iPhone4 and the experience is very smooth

If there are lags present it's only milliseconds - I didn't notice anything slowing down while navigating

I'm also happy that previous settings are still intact - including custom wallpapers, ringtones etc.

my daughter is very happy with her "new" iPhone4 - and it really does feel new

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Bluetooth audio skips when you're actually using the phone, which is something I've never had happen in iOS6 and prior.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
While I don't find it terrible I certainly don't find that it runs great either. Definitely some slowdown from ios 6. And some apps have taken a noticeable performance hit (clash of clans).

However, it's serviceable. And either way I'll be getting a 5s whenever they become somewhat readily available for in store purchase.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
If you are trying to convince yourself that you don't need the 5S then good for you :) However for me.. I want it and will get it :)

Well after playing with it for 30 minutes I thought to myself 'Why am I buying a new phone?'.

Then I snapped to my senses and realized why - Because Apple told me to :-D j/k

I really need at least 32GB and a better camera. Plus I'm jealous of my wife's Galaxy Nexus I bought her last year. The LTE blows my little 4 out of the water. But if it weren't for the storage needs I would think long and hard about skipping the 5s.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
I have an iphone 4 and was thinking about not installing ios 7 as I thought it would make it slower. I coudnt resist the urge and finally downloaded it. IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM and its like having a new iphone. I dont know why I am still buying iphone 5S!!!!!!!!!:apple::D

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
I have a 32gb unit and IOS7 seems to run pretty smooth so far. I did have a couple apps shut down the first time I opened then but have been fine since.

One thing I noticed, and maybe its just my hopeful imagination, is my battery lasted longer. One of the main reasons I'm thinking of upgrading either to the 5S or the Galaxy is my battery just doesn't seem to hold charge like it used to; but I used the new OS at work all day and had plenty of battery left so if thats the case it complicates my thoughts on upgrading ever further.

ncvikingx97

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Are you guys who are reporting smooth install, did you install fresh or update? Mine is pretty bad on animations, but scrolling is fine .

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
rocks? like slow rocks?

I tell ya I upgraded my moms 4S to iOS 7 and the system feels clunky and laggy, still I woudn't switch back to iOS 6 but why fool yourself?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
rocks? like slow rocks?

I tell ya I upgraded my moms 4S to iOS 7 and the system feels clunky and laggy, still I woudn't switch back to iOS 6 but why fool yourself?

I think it runs very well on the iPhone 4S tbh. I'm also surprised how well it runs on iPad 2. iPhone 4 performance is a disaster though.

I also did a clean install on all devices so maybe that's why I'm seeing better performance on the 4S and iPad 2. I never trust a software upgrade because often settings or remnants of the old OS get left lurking around and slow things down.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Here, its clear that ios 7 on iphone is great but on a website, i found some cons on iphone 4.

Better to check
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/new-lease-on-life-or-death-sentence-ios-7-on-the-iphone-4/

The Ars article is one of the reasons I initially hesitated... until my son gave me his spare iPhone 4, and I was able to do a side-by-side comparison with iOS 6 on identical hardware and an identical installation. See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1639594/

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I installed IOS 7 on my iPhone 4 after I promised myself I wouldn't and I must say, I agree with the op. I was expecting to see a hit in performance but I would have to say it runs as fast as IOS 6.

The only issues I see are changing the wall paper has a significant delay (same as on my iPad) and I'm seeing somewhat lower battery life (with only one charge to compare with).

I find the OS to look modern and very refined. I'm pleasantly surprised.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I think it runs very well on the iPhone 4S tbh. I'm also surprised how well it runs on iPad 2. iPhone 4 performance is a disaster though.

I also did a clean install on all devices so maybe that's why I'm seeing better performance on the 4S and iPad 2. I never trust a software upgrade because often settings or remnants of the old OS get left lurking around and slow things down.

I think it even runs quite non-apple ish on the iPhone 5 still I wouldn't switch to android for anything.

ncvikingx97

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Just saw another 4 running ios7, and it was actually pretty smooth. How would you get rid of the multiple springboard lag?

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
Yep IP4 runs great with iOS7. I did order 32Gb 5s in the mean time. And Im also noticing that the battery drains slightly faster. Other than that im loving the changes.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Since I was not using my 4 at the moment I did a clean install on an empty phone and then restored my apps from I tunes.

Even before OS7 the 4 was a bit slow (to be expected) but OS7 did not slow it down any more. It runs very smoothly. I don't know if I really like the new icons, as I think it gives it a bit of a childish look but that is just my opinion.

I may be in the minority in that I pretty much use my phone as a phone (with texting) and don't use a lot of apps. I will switch back to this phone as my daily phone and see how the battery life is and if the reception is still as good as it's always been. Those are the most important criteria for me.

When the insanity that is Launch day dies down, I still may get the 5C (I have an upgrade that I can use) but the 4 has served me very well over the last few years and I see no reason to rush into a new phone. :eek:

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I have to completely disagree with the OP. I installed iOS7 on my iPhone 4 and after playing around for an hour or so, immediately reverted back to iOS6.

It was extremely laggy on my phone, my battery got down to 75% after about an hour of use, and my GPS could not locate me accurately.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case for others, simply sharing my experience with iOS7 so far.

How did you go back to ios6? I didn't think it was possible to go back to a previous version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.