iOS 7 Overheating?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Zephyer, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Zephyer macrumors member

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

My phone is getting quite warm and the battery is draining rather quickly. I'm not sure what it's from, especially since I've disabled the background app updates.

3. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Thought it was just me but yes - iPhone 5 getting noticeably warmer. Battery life was also a bit lower (I usually get to the end of the day with about 70% left, today I had 47% when I plugged it in. iOS7 had been installed about 2 hours.

It's beta for a reason though.

4. Serban Suspended

yes is beta, but you guys should inform apple about warm and battery life

5. rmwebs macrumors 68040

They'll already know - its clear that its a bit beefy and slow at the moment. iOS6 was the same when it was in Beta.

6. MacMartyr macrumors member

Overheated and drained the battery like a mofo on my 4S.. restoring back to 6.1.3 at the moment.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I did a hard restart a little while ago (hold Home & Power until the phone restarts), and it seems to be running cooler now.

8. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I also noticed it was very laggy and getting very warm just after install

I also did a hard reset and a soft reset and now it runs as normal and no more lag.

I waiting to do this until all my apps had updated in the background.

I've noticed some quirky behaviour like location services sticking on in camera app and turning on when i unlock my phone. Wifi also cycles a lot more, especially on fringe areas i.e. my office. I get low signal to my phone but ios6 held the signal fine, ios7 cycles rapidly.

9. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Look at your usage. I had 2 hours and 35 minutes since charge, and 2 hours 32 minutes usage. Something was keeping the CPU awake and eating battery while generating heat. Restarted and charging again to try and figure out which app it was.

10. SuperRob, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

SuperRob macrumors regular

Downloading all your apps en masse will do that. Had the same problem with iOS 6 GM. It'll sort itself out once everything is downloaded.

Spoke too soon. Finished downloading all the apps, hard rebooted, still having battery issues. Chewed through 25% of my 4S battery during a 30 minute haircut. Yikes. Trying turning off motion and a couple other services to see what might be causing it.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm not noticing my phone getting any warmer and I used the phone for a good 2 1/2 hours straight last night.

12. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Today my iPhone 5 was warmer than it has ever been on iOS 6.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Probably because you guys are just using your phone more. Checking out the new OS

14. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I'm actually using mine a lot less. Used it a lot more when it was jailbroken before and it never got this warm.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Try disabling some system location services. I found that weather often uses my location a lot (for some reason) and that warms my phone more so than when I stream content on netflix, but alas I want weather to keep determining my location.

At idle though, my phone is cool to the touch.

Edit: you guys also might wanna check 'background app refresh" although mine is turned on and I don't get that constant warming, so that probably isn't it.

16. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

hey guys
    hey
    guys
    listen
    this beta soft-
    guys?
    this beta software i'm using has problems
    guys pay attention

guys?

17. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Haha no one forgot, this isn't another icon thread. Betas are meant to work out problems. Overheating is probably one worth addressing.

18. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Turned off background app updates then did a hard reset and battery drain went from 25% in an 40 min to 10% in 2 hours.

19. SuperRob macrumors regular

I solved my battery / overheating issue. I had noticed that I had text messages coming in without names. When I checked, I had a bunch of missing contacts. Turns out my secondary iCloud account with my personal contacts in it was set up, but wasn't syncing, so it was stuck in a loop. Deleted it, readded it, and now my overheating and battery issues are gone.

20. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

Hard reset helped a lot. And yes it's Beta so do not YET expect the great battery life...

21. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

My iPhone 5 has been fine but this afternoon an iPhone 4S I use for development which I installed iOS7 on yesterday got very hot, certainly more than just warm. It seemed to be at the back about level with the volume buttons. I did a hard reset rather than investigate what was causing it though. I'll be filing a bug report with Apple.

22. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

I have been running iOS 7 on my device that I use very heavily, and I havn't encountered this yet.

It is a beta though, afterall!

23. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Phone always seems to be warm and every time I try to use the turn by turn navigation while playing music the phone actually gives me a message on the screen about overheating and shuts down one or the other.

24. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Make sure your iCloud isn't still restoring and you've turned off frequent locations under system services.

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

While it's been said before it bears repeating.

This is BETA software, for developers / not designed for day to day use.

That doesn't mean you cannot use it, but don't expect it to act like it's finished.