iPad mini iOS 7 Sloooooow On iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fissure, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Fissure macrumors 6502

This is quite troubling. Using Safari on the Mini is painfully stuttery. Browsing around the OS isn't bad but Safari is horrible especially with more than 1 tab open.

This is really bad. On my iPhone 5 everything is good.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Not unexpected on the first release. It gets better once the updates start rolling out.

3. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

My fingers are crossed for updates, I use my Mini too much to be able to bear this too long.

4. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I'm not seeing the slow issues that you are seeing. On my iPad Mini I am not seeing any stuttering.

5. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try this.

6. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Anybody else startled by the navigation buttons on the top now? This is really bothering me. Strongly prefer it on the bottom.

7. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

Hard reset didn't really improve things.

I'm especially frustrated when I go to click and hold down on a link to open it in another tab and it takes what seems like forever for the context menu to come up that allows you then to select open in a new tab.

Safari is most definetly slower on this Mini. I'm not sure how others aren't feeling it.

The last time this happened to me with a major release of iOS I had to go out and buy the latest iPad out at the time in order to get the snappiness back. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case with iOS 7. Don't really feel like buying the next gen Mini right away when it comes out later this year.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Haven't had any problems on my mini yet but I mostly use chrome. That being said the issues aren't surprising.

512mb of RAM and a 1Ghz Dual Core A9 was decent in early 2011 but going into 2014 it's not exactly cutting edge and it's no surpise there's performance issues. Apple really gimped the hardware in the mini and it's not exactly future proof. If it gets iOS 8 I would avoid upgrading.

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I only have iOS 7 on my Mini so far, and it runs the same as before. The silly colors are another story, but no problems with speed, lag, stuttering. I installed iOS 7 as soon as it became available, but did encounter several error messages, and aborted downloads. If there's a way to reinstall it, I'd try that.

10. Princejb134 macrumors member

I had to restore my iPad and start fresh for the lag to go away

11. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

Try to reset all settings. might help. mine works great!

12. Solomani, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Not only that.... but I think as far as the OP is concerned, a "reset network settings" is probably one of the better solutions to try... since his main complaint is with the Safari/browser performance.

Edit: however, resetting network settings will delete some data, things like clearing your browsing history, erasing your browser cache/cookies, it will even forget all your previously stored WiFi networks (so you will have to re-connect and re-enter your password for your home WiFi LAN). I don't remember if it also resets your bookmarks to factory default, altho it may also do that. A minor annoyance, of course, but nothing more.

13. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I also heard that reset all settings pretty much clear all stutter problem. Also turn off/on your device after update as well.

14. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

No issues here, I've been using since iOS7b3 and it's been fine, I'll admit 7b2 was unbearable but it's much better now, only a slight performance knock and only with the like of multitasking/

15. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Safari is very fast for me indeed on he mini. Make sure to do a clean install.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Multi tasking and swipe to unlock were not working when I first installed it on my iPad mini but within about 30 mins everything started working properly. Everything is smooth and lag free. I think it might be a bit faster than when it was on 6.1.3

17. knightlie macrumors 6502a

Mine takes about 2/3rds of a second for the link context menu to appear, but scrolling in Safari can be a bit stuttery. Some other parts of the system are also a bit sluggish - setting wallpapers freezes for a few seconds - but generally it's not too bad for me. Hopefully the first update will solve your problem.

18. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

My iPad mini is responding as smooth as butter for me on iOS 7. (Even smoother, in some cases, than iOS 6 was on it.) Not sure if it makes a difference, but I did a clean install of iOS 7. (I typically update for #.x.x updates, and do a clean install for #.0 updates.)

19. clarkgriswold macrumors member

Apologies for my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how to factory reset and do a clean install?

Thanks!

20. yegon macrumors 68020

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

Go into settings, then reset, choose 'erase all contents'. You will be prompted twice after you put in your passcode.

22. mfr1340 macrumors regular

problems

it all works great for me.

23. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Been using the betas on my mini and although they were rough at first, Beta 6 and now the GM have been very good on my mini. I really see nothing that I would call "Slooooooow."

24. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert, but.... Go to Settings, General, and then scroll down to Reset. You can hit Reset All Settings, and that will give you a blank slate to work with. You'll loose all of your personal info stored on the iPad, but that might be about as clean as it gets.