iOS 7 Travel Time

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Indy89, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Indy89 macrumors member

Does iOS 7 learn frequently traveled to locations by itself? I awoke this morning to see under 'Today' on notification centre, the current travel time to the town where I work. My place of work is not in my phone anywhere. Also once I arrived it disappeared.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes

Settings - Privacy - Location Services - System Services - Frequent Locations - History

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's pretty smart, and for a lot of people who installed it on day 1, it'll really start to develop now. I'm noticing it's recognising where I go on Mondays and Tuesdays, and telling me how long it'll take to get there.

4. activate macrumors regular

Where is it telling you this ? i.e. unde which app notification.

5. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Says it in the notification center. Right now mine says, "Right now, it would take you about 8 minutes to drive to work".

6. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Do you forget how long it takes you to get to work :eek::D seems pointless function.

I know it takes me 30 mins to get to work i don't need my phone to tell me :cool:

7. activate macrumors regular

omg and if you go into the settings of frequent locations, it maps your whole life!
    Not that it wasn't doing that anyway ;) I still don't get the notification that you are referring to. I'll keep an eye on it. Is it in the today section ?

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It takes some time to show up (week to 10 days to establish a pattern) and only displays if you are away from your recorded locations.

9. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

The idea is, when you are driving on the same route to work you won't know how long it takes, because it does depend on the traffic, doesn't it? Well, I assume the phone will figure that out for you and warn before you start your journey.

10. activate macrumors regular

Next, it will ask me why I am not going to work :D

11. melapple macrumors regular

Is the traffic notification US only? I'm in Italy with frequent locations enabled since sept 18 but no traffic info for me

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Works for me in the UK.

Make sure you have Traffic turned on as well as Frequent Locations.

13. northcountryboy macrumors member

Exactly right. If traffic is heavy due to an accident, etc. then it will tell you and you will see a longer time to get to work. You can then plan an alternative route. Seems very useful to me.

Mine is consistently 5 minutes longer than it actually takes so I am assuming it uses speed limits to work out how long it will take rather than learning how fast you drive.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you walk down an empty dirt road or something?

A drive to my work takes somewhere between 25 and 70 minutes, depending on the traffic. Knowing what the current number is sure isn't pointless.

15. vc73287n macrumors member

vc73287n

mine has still yet to show up. I have 15 visits recorded consistently monday to friday 8-4 and still nothing. sheesshhh

16. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Does iPhone 4 not have Frequent Locations - History? I don't see that under my system services menu.

17. melapple macrumors regular

Yep, have it turned on along with frequent locations...and home and work locations are already listed…I'll give this a couple more days . If traffic info does not show up I'm going to kill it. I'm sure it's draining my battery much faster with no gain for me

18. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I cant see any difference in battery here.

19. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I had my first "time to drive home" today after around 2 weeks of recording locations. Based on my experience, you need to be at a particular location for a minimum of 2 hours before it registers - under 2 hours doesn't count. And Frequent Locations has had no impact on my battery life.

20. Indy89 thread starter macrumors member

That's useful and at least this morning it was about accurate for me.

21. aduteau macrumors 6502a

its a shame that all this learning on the phone for "frequent locations" has to be re-done if you get an other phone ...
    all that info should be cloud stored on icloud (google now is all cloud base and remebers what you did even if you are on an other device).

22. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

For me, not really because I'm barely 2km from where I work and there is little to no traffic. If I lived in a highly populated city it takes the average commute time and includes traffic data if it's reported to be higher/lower than normal.

23. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Surely all the data crunching is happening server-side, so there must be a copy somewhere. And wouldn't restoring from a previous backup retain the data on the phone?

24. aduteau macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud for everything except the backup ... I dont know it every iCloud user uses the backup feature,

I still think that the Frequent Locations should be sync automatic to iCloud without the need of doing a backup of the phone. :)

25. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I've actually tested this unofficially. It gave me about 20 minutes more when disabled. It's pretty well polished.