iOS 7's New Look Details Revealed

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Panoramic wallpapers, meh. If that is iCal then I like it. I'm excited to see the changes.

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
iOS 7 sounds very promising. I can't stand the current lockscreen...I think Windows Phone 8's lockscreen is more Apple than Apple's.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
iOS 7 sounds very promising. I can't stand the current lockscreen...I think Windows Phone 8's lockscreen is more Apple than Apple's.
I agree, i liked the sound of what was written in the article about the lockscreen.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
A redesign is fine and dandy but we all want to see changes in functionality. Let us set third party apps as defaults. Let apps share with one another.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Black and white? I have faith in his design, but it also sounds like a more sterile and less lively OS.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Black and white? I have faith in his design, but it also sounds like a more sterile and less lively OS.
I think what they mean by black and white is the primary color palette of each app. For example the music app's primary color is white while the podcast's app primary color is black.

What I think Jony Ive has done is to incorporate an application's native color into the color scheme as accents.

Messages: We all know the messages app is green. That's how our eyes find the icon when scanning. Now imagine the messages app background becomes white and the arrows to go back and fourth inside the app have green highlights.

Music: We all know the music app is orange. Now imagine the music app with white background and orange accents on the arrows and the bottom menu.

Thats how I'm envisioning the changes. Notes app may be white with yellow accents. Calendar could be white with red accents. etc.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm a huge fan of that weather concept in the article.....add a little more functionality to it and that's a winner right there.

Excited to see how iveOS evolves :D

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
UK
I think what they mean by black and white is the primary color palette of each app. For example the music app's primary color is white while the podcast's app primary color is black.

What I think Jony Ive has done is to incorporate an application's native color into the color scheme as accents.

Messages: We all know the messages app is green. That's how our eyes find the icon when scanning. Now imagine the messages app background becomes white and the arrows to go back and fourth inside the app have green highlights.

Music: We all know the music app is orange. Now imagine the music app with white background and orange accents on the arrows and the bottom menu.

Thats how I'm envisioning the changes. Notes app may be white with yellow accents. Calendar could be white with red accents. etc.
A lot of people didn't realize about this, so I'm glad you've explained it. If people want to see a concept for this:

http://www.simplyzesty.com/Blog/Article/May-2013/iOS-7-Concept-Designs-Welcome-To-The-Future-Of-The-iPhone

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

Maybe people don't like the particular color that is used? I mean, I imagine the reason why there's so much gray in OS X is because it is a more 'neutral' color. To suddenly have these single color themed apps with some color you don't like, doesn't exactly sound like a hit.

I agree the concept pictures are nice, but can't help to worry I'll get annoyed at it after a while. Red color isn't exactly 'neutral'. And too much white up in your face might get annoying as well. It's just me though... While I agree iOS needs to be spiced up, I've been happy with their design/colors used so far.

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Apple has a MASSIVE untapped market in 'themes'.
Apple should treat themeing like they treat apps.
Themes should be developer driven and a section added to the App Store.

----------

Love this.
I agree totally although i think less is more with themes at least some color changes would be cool.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
UK
One thing I'll say about their iOS 7 mockup is that I sincerely doubt Apple will get rid of rounded corners on app icons.
Totally agree on this one. Here's another concept that looks very plausible and absolutely brilliant (go through ALL the pages of comments, you'll see more):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1585895

Here's an interesting find, although I don't expect Apple to change the dimensions of the icons:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1586755

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I agree totally although i think less is more with themes at least some color changes would be cool.
That's exactly the beauty of his thought. By creating a marketplace for themes/customization, Apple can create a business and delight users with different tastes at the same time.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
This concept seems dead-on so far.

images
I'm ok with this... it actually looks good.

The question is: would OS X also reflect these changes? If not, apps on both platforms would look completely different (Notes, Reminders, Messages, Calendar, Contacts, etc.).