Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Never mind the weather app, third party keyboards, ringtones and any other problems I'm not personally experiencing. Sort the other, important stuff!☺️

It doesn't matter really. By the time these bugs are all gone people will be complaining about iOS 9 beta bugs :rolleyes:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Never mind the weather app, third party keyboards, ringtones and any other problems I'm not personally experiencing. Sort the other, important stuff!☺️

Sounds like you need a new phone or your own personal Apple engineer to solve YOUR issues. :)

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Too much wittering-on about third party keyboards here. Who cares, I never use 'em!☺️
How about some real bug quashing like the fact 8.1.2 raped the battery on my 6+? The landscape bug where links are sometimes impossible to press? The occasional portrait/landscape rotation lag and freezing? The way my iCloud backup isn't automatic anymore, it just never backs itself up so I have to do it manually. The intermittent non-responsive touchscreen. The intermittent screen freezing. The crazy-bad app crashes......How come none of these things are even mentioned in the update notes, and have any of them been fixed?

The keyboard issues are confirmed and repeatable on any device. All the stuff you mentioned sounds like it's very specific to your configuration and probably not bugs in the OS…

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
  • Forwarding a photo in iMessage still hides the To: field.
  • Safari tab reloads still prevalent.
  • After installing the update, I had a bunch of deleted iMessage's reappear on my 6+.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I've seen some other 6+ owners complain of the exact-same issues.

Yeah I was referring to your earlier post about fixing your issues not the ones others are having :) And BTW you have a lot it seems. May require a full time Apple tech head.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah I was referring to your earlier post about fixing your issues not the ones others are having :) And BTW you have a lot it seems. May require a full time Apple tech head.

Besides providing a replacement phone, what can a 'genius' do other than suggest a clean install and setting up as a new phone? We can all do that at home. I don't believe that my phone is any more defective than all other 6+ out there.
Could be though!#

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
When I click on a city in the weather app it still drops frames on my iPhone 6 :mad:. Wtf!? :mad:

Haha, smooth on my 5s:cool:

I don't use the iOS weather app much, but I keep seeing this come up so I decided to try it. And it's actually quite smooth, on my iPhone 4s nonetheless! I do have reduce motion on, and increase contrast/reduce transparency. Without those on, the 4s is sooo frame droppy/laggy feeling. Where iOS 7.1 was butter, even more so with iOS 6 (duh).

The joys of having older hardware with new unoptimized software.

Luckily, it's my secondary device I use on WiFi for playing around.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
  • Forwarding a photo in iMessage still hides the To: field.
  • Safari tab reloads still prevalent.
  • After installing the update, I had a bunch of deleted iMessage's reappear on my 6+.

On the photo forward, is that with 3rd party keyboard? I see it with Swiftkey but using the Apple keyboard it works fine. Some time back seems Swiftkey acknowledged it was an issue and I thought fixed it in an update. Maybe not. I just stopped using 3rd party keyboards because of the issues and wasn't worth it. I just tried and Apple keyboard still works fine and swiftkey has the mentioned issue with no to field. However if you just start typing it appears.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
On the photo forward, is that with 3rd party keyboard? I see it with Swiftkey but using the Apple keyboard it works fine. Some time back seems Swiftkey acknowledged it was an issue and I thought fixed it in an update. Maybe not. I just stopped using 3rd party keyboards because of the issues and wasn't worth it. I just tried and Apple keyboard still works fine and swiftkey has the mentioned issue with no to field. However if you just start typing it appears.

3rd party keyboard. Tried it just now with Swift and Swype and it appears to affect both of these.
Thx

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Besides providing a replacement phone, what can a 'genius' do other than suggest a clean install and setting up as a new phone? We can all do that at home. I don't believe that my phone is any more defective than all other 6+ out there.
Could be though!#

I meant an Apple engineer not a genius. Yes you are correct you will most likely get more help here because they "have never heard that issue before" is pretty typical answer it seems.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm just stoked to see they ACTUALLY payed *some* attention to iPad this time with the multitasking gestures bug (supposedly) being fixed! Oh and also the size of this update seems to be enormous compared to other x.x.1 or 2 or 3 updates. Still prepared to be greatly disappointed by it, but it's better than nothing.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
No love on the third-party keyboard front:
  • Keyboard still randomly switches to default or fails to load in Messages and various other Apple apps.
  • Still can't leave app store reviews using non-default keyboard.
  • Lots of weird Safari glitches (for instance, the keyboard will overlap the point touched when activating a text box)

I have come to the conclusion that there will never be a fix for these problems (not in iOS 8 anyway). Very annoying.

----------

which applications cause these keyboard issues ? fleksy? swiftkey? which one?

I have all these problems, using Swiftkey...

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
PLEASE, if you notice any new bugs or even old bugs that aren't fixed yet, please post in the "Bugs" list below.

Known bugs fixed that appear in the changelog:
-Reduced the amount of storage required to perform a software update
-Fixes an issue that prevented some users from entering their Apple ID password for Messages and FaceTime
-Addresses an issue that caused Spotlight to stop displaying app results
-Fixes an issue which prevented multitasking gestures from working on iPad
-Adds new configuration options for education standardized testing

Bugs fixed:
-pulling control center with the keyboard displayed is smoother
-animation when expanding a city in the weather app is a smoother but still a bit laggy
-phone call lag is gone

Bugs:
-keyboard still randomly switches to default or fails to load in Messages and various other Apple apps.
-still can't leave app store reviews using non-default keyboard.
-lots of weird Safari glitches (for instance, the keyboard will overlap the point touched when activating a text box)
-reminders based on location still don't work
-Control Center still hangs if you swipe really fast
-search a text at pdf files via Safari still doesn't work
-scrolling through albums in the music app is still a bit laggy

!! Jailbreak patched !!
Control Center still seems just as stuttery as it has always been when it's used over the keyboard (mini 2) It still pushes keys and holds them in, sometimes causing that key to spam a whole lot. I somehow managed one time to get the delete key pushed down when I pulled up Control Center. If it wasn't for "Undo" I could have just kissed good-bye to the fresh paragraph I just typed.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I actually thought that no obvious bugs were fixed in this release. They just patched the jailbreak exploit that's it.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The battery meter still drops from 61 to 59% missing out 60%.

Phew for a second I thought you were about to talk about bad battery life after the update :rolleyes:

Anyway, that bug seriously shows the slop in apples iOS releases lately.. It's so sad. Hope it gets fixed soon. But fixing ringtones or patching jailbreaks is apparently more important than the experience of the general customer :confused:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm not sure if this is an iOS 8 problem, but my Yahoo Weather widget says 'unable to load' much too often. I've seen others have the same problem, but no real solution has been presented.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Phew for a second I thought you were about to talk about bad battery life after the update :rolleyes:

Anyway, that bug seriously shows the slop in apples iOS releases lately.. It's so sad. Hope it gets fixed soon. But fixing ringtones or patching jailbreaks is apparently more important than the experience of the general customer :confused:

Yes, it's sloppy. I swear not one engineer spends a whole afternoon playing with an iPhone until the battery drains, just keeping an eye out for things. I'm still noticing the spinning data wheel on certain websites whilst using Safari. Only closing the app completely and then reopening it fixes this...temporarily.

These are simple, obvious bugs that I've clocked having used 8.1.3 for approx four hours. I really can't see any obvious changes (good or bad) from 8.1.2, but I can see the same old obvious bugs.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, it's sloppy. I swear not one engineer spends a whole afternoon playing with an iPhone until the battery drains, just keeping an eye out for things. I'm still noticing the spinning data wheel on certain websites whilst using Safari. Only closing the app completely and then reopening it fixes this...temporarily.

These are simple, obvious bugs that I've clocked having used 8.1.3 for approx four hours. I really can't see any obvious changes (good or bad) from 8.1.2, but I can see the same old obvious bugs.

Auto-rotate is fixed. Copy/paste/select is working better...not puuurfect yet. We'll see with the wifi disconnect only on the home router. Those were my hot buttons.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't use the iOS weather app much, but I keep seeing this come up so I decided to try it. And it's actually quite smooth, on my iPhone 4s nonetheless! I do have reduce motion on, and increase contrast/reduce transparency. Without those on, the 4s is sooo frame droppy/laggy feeling. Where iOS 7.1 was butter, even more so with iOS 6 (duh).

The joys of having older hardware with new unoptimized software.

Luckily, it's my secondary device I use on WiFi for playing around.

Well I turned on reduced motion and interesting enough that same animation didn't drop any frames :mad:. Then when I turned it back off, it was back to dropping frames like a bitch. Come on Apple I just wanna see the weather with out throwing up!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The bug where swiping up for Control Center sometimes throws the phone off and thinks I tapped on an app.

I'm glad they finally fixed Spotlight. That has been driving me nuts since launch. Every time I would search for an app and it wouldn't come it I would get pissed and say that it worked fine under iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.