iOS 8.1 and iPhone 6 Plus better?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by syphern, Oct 20, 2014.

1. syphern macrumors 6502

hey guys does this update help with lag etc? is it better?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Its a little early still but so far, so good. I have repeated the things I could do in the past to show the lag and so far I have not noticed any issues. I would say this needs a little time to verify for sure but so far, so good.

3. Razeus macrumors 603

4. RDAR macrumors 6502

I noticed the scrolling in safari is better but not the buttery smooth that I want lol.

5. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

looks fine. i reset my network settings as safari wasn't loading a page on work wifi but all fine now.

6. Britney Spears macrumors member

Britney Spears

Haven't noticed any difference, for better or worse, so far. :)

7. lmtfi macrumors newbie

ALOT better. Everything is faster. Touch ID, tapping on a section, animations are quicker, safari is faster (not a joke) very happy. I notice these things - this is not placebo. Much much better.

8. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

9. syphern thread starter macrumors 6502

ok just upgraded it does seem to be overall faster but that spotlight rotation keyboard lag is still there :( I think more and more its the 1gig ram! Apple... you have lost points with me

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Overall, a bit more fluid but still a ton of lag and jitteriness when rotating in Spotlight & scrolling through wallpaper.

11. Imory macrumors 6502a

That's awful. I've never seen Apple release a new phone and have it lag at any moment whatsoever, frequently.

What a terrible release and mess iOS 8 have been in terms of fluidity and smoothness.

12. Dheck2355 macrumors member

I've noticed my battery is draining quicker on my 6 plus.

13. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

How exactly did you draw the conclusion that the amount of RAM is the problem?

My iPad mini rotates the keyboard just fine on iOS 8.1 and it only has 512MB of RAM.

Let go of the Android/Windows PC mentality of "need more RAM!".

15. rockhopper353 macrumors member

I'm wondering if there's a placebo effect going on with some people my 6 plus doesn't seem any snappier as some are saying, appears to be just the same which overall was pretty decent before apart from safari which is still stuttery, certainly when compared to my experience on my old galaxy s3.

16. luigi408 macrumors 6502

Somewhat. If you go to The Verge site and start scrolling it will be super slow... If you scroll in landscape, good luck, it will crash Safari. Ram is really affectimg performance.

17. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Your iPad Mini has 1 GB of RAM if I'm not mistaken, plus it's pushing 3 times LESS pixels than what the iPhone 6 Plus has to push using the same amount of RAM.

Of course it's sufficient for your iPad Mini.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. it's so subjective and dependent on an individual's configuration and applications that a discussion isn't interesting at all.

19. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Messages is finally fixed. Before when I sent a message and it appeared as delivered, delivered would be cut off and I would have to scroll up a bit so it would display correctly. Also noticed a huge improvement with Touch ID. It actually recognizes my fingerprint every time now instead of only a few times.

20. WaveGawd macrumors newbie

try scrolling thru the stock walpapers in settings. STUTTERY. we are on version four of iOS8, i think the bottomline is this phone is underpowered ram wise.

instead of a powehouse phablet im afriad this merely an enlarged version of the 4.7 inch with out the ram upgrades to better handle the higher resolution and with out any real enhancement to the functionality to take advantage of the larger screen.

21. Imory macrumors 6502a

It isn't though. Apps should have no effect on performance at all. We all practically have identical phones in terms of hardware and software configuration.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The iPad mini (not retina) that I have only has 512MB of RAM.

Unless I'm mistaken a dedicated GPU has its own onboard memory and does not use system ram. The iphone 6 and 6+ both have a Duo-Core GPU so I'm finding it hard to believe that the amount of system ram impacts video rendering performance.

23. strausd macrumors 68030

Lag is still present for me. Wunderlist, rotating with keyboard up, some games, etc. I've seen no change.

I changed my display view from "standard" to "zoomed" and turned off transparency. I see no lag whatsoever system wide.

24. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

is it just me or is whatapp chats massive on the plus ? fair enough it's a plus but hope they update this in the next update (give us a choice to choose the size)

25. that be me macrumors 6502

To those with the wallpaper issue. As far as I can recall it's been like this for all devices since the iPhone 5. It's not specific to the 6 or the 6+. To prove this, try scrolling in your new(ish) photo roll and note the absence of lag.

I'm on a 6 and have been on 8.1 since the beta dropped, so I can't really comment on smoothness so far.