IOS 8.1 on iphone 5 killed my battery life

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zoneee, Oct 21, 2014.

1. zoneee macrumors regular

As title says, I'm so pissed i updated to iOS 8.1 from 8.0.2 and i wish i never did it.

i updated it performing a fresh install, with phone in DFU and restore with update.

phone is draining like 3% per hour on wifi without doing anything, if i use it it goes down so fast compared to 8.0.2

all apps have been updated, all settings a re the same and conservative, nothing changed.

i guess ill downgrade to iOS 8.0.2 tonight if apple still sign it, unless someone tell me that after 1 2 days its supposed to be better (even if i dont see how, as there is not much to index as i got spotlight disabled)

2. saudor macrumors 6502

let it sit. spotlight and indexing and all that jazz.It was the case with my iPad 4. and i only have music and contacts spotlighted.

3. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

I'm scares apple will stop signing 8.0.2 soon.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

5. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

This is heard many times after a new update. Give it a week and you'll see better results.

6. saudor macrumors 6502

If you don't find any use for 8.1, downgrade. It's the reason why I'm still sticking with 7.1.2.

SMS relay is nice but imo not worth the trouble of all the bugs. Even 7.1.2 is somewhat buggy

7. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

i thought that continuity worked also with 8.1! but i guess i was wrong :( i got yosemite and it sucks to downgrade but **** it i didnt use the phone since start of thread and its 88%

8. XeroAllusion macrumors member

I think I found a solution to the battery problem on iPhone 5. Well, at least, it worked for me. Try it and see if it works.

Before my phone’s battery was exactly like yours, I would lose 6% while the phone was in my pocket for 30 minutes and I would lose 1% every 2-3 minutes while in use. After I saw that, I was determined to find a solution to this.

Solution that worked for me:

Restore iPhone to iOS 8.0.2
    Do not restore from a backup
    After that is done, restore to iOS 8.0.2 again.
    Then set up as new.

After that, my battery life was amazing. Usually, around 8-9 hours of usage and 2 days of standby. I don’t know if I was lucky, but try it.

Hope this helps!

9. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

so you are still on 8.0.2? and you never restored your backup?

10. XeroAllusion macrumors member

No, I never restored my backup. I started from scratch.

I forgot to mention though, I was never on iOS 8.1, but I was having battery problems on iOS 8.0.2 originally.

11. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

well thank you for your contribution!
    i really can't not to restore the backup too much stuff

12. XeroAllusion macrumors member

Hmm, I wonder if you could try from an iCloud backup. The iCloud backup probably doesn’t contain the junk from an iTunes backup, you can try that if you want, but yes I understand what you mean.

BTW, do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled?

13. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

nope iCloud only for notes etc no music no pics

14. XeroAllusion macrumors member

Okay, well, then the culprit could be some rogue process that continuously loops.

Try restoring back to iOS 8.0.2 if you can.

It’s frustrating to see your battery percentage go down continuously minute after minute, isn’t it? I really want to find a solution that works for everyone.

15. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

ill go back to 802 in 1 hour and let you know

and YES i feel you!

16. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Run the battery to below 10%. I'll bet you won't get any different total usage on 8.1 as you did with 8.0.2. I also noticed faster dropping percentage after OTA update to 8.1. But my usage is still around 5:30-6:00 like it was on 8.0.2 and on 7.1.2.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I guess folks aren't clicking the link I posted. This issue has nothing to do with the version of iOS you're running.

Poor battery life is common after an in-place upgrade. It's also common when you have a rogue process. If you can't find out what it is from xcode you can do some of what was already mentioned.
    1.Reset the phone to terminate all processes and don't launch any apps (but the problem may come back if the same process goes rogue again - typically an app including logging into cloud services)
    2.Perform an encrypted iTunes backup and restore the phone as new to see if the behavior continues (hardware problem) and when done restore your backup
    3.If it's an app, you'll have to trial and error to find out which app is the offender (focusing on with background services and cloud services)

Both my wife and I had poor battery life after upgrading to iOS 8. I went to Settings - General - Reset and Reset Location & Privacy. That turned off all background location permissions and whatever had my location indicator on all the time on the home screen no longer did that and I turned the ones back on that I wanted. The issue has not returned.

18. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

i would like to experiment, but what then if apple stop signing 8.0.2 and I'm stuck with 8.1

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Background App Refresh for Facebook, Twitter and Reddit was killing my battery life. I turned it off for those apps and BAM! Fixed.

20. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

21. NeoX360 macrumors member

Do you have many email accounts set up?

I notice for me, since I have many email accounts with push and checking every 15 minutes that mail eats up 27%+ of my battery. If I tighten up the settings and eliminate some email addresses I can get more battery. Right now I am sitting at 5.5 hours of usage and 1+ day of standby with 39% remaining. It is pretty normal for my setup..

See what happens when you turn on a location based reminder, wow talk about battery drain! Lol.

I choose the bells and whistles over battery life and I make sure I have a charger handy. Its a trade off for sure.

22. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

no mail setup but gmail app
    no location enabled

23. deviant macrumors 65816

ahahaha and then people complain that iPhones and iPads don't have true multitasking. think about that.. hey, multitasking is here!!.. what? battery life? an hour and a half, but it charges fast with the new iPad charger !!!

24. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

i dont understand your flame. i got background app refresh off and everything is blazing fast. dunno what u talking about

25. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

ok so im screwed.
    i downgraded to 8.0.2 but it wont let me restore the backup as it says software is too old (backup has been done on 8.1).
    guess i deserve it.