Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Is anyone using 8.3 with carpay? I've got 8.3 installed and I've considered getting a carplay compatible radio for a while now, but the big deal breaker for me was the fact that it was wired only. Apparently now 8.3 supports wireless carplay, but I'm not sure if any radios out there support wireless yet. Has anyone been able to get this to actually work or will there need to be a firmware (or even hardware) update for the radios before wireless carplay actually functions?

pappy53

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
North Carolina--God's country
Nope, everything as it should be by default. Full animations and transparencies.

If you followed my debate with MaxIT on here regarding iOS 8 animations you'd know that I'm incredibly OCD when it comes to iOS animations and noticing dropped frames.

8.3 is by the far best I've seen iOS 8 perform on my Air and 5s, although my 5s was also fine on iOS 8.1.3 ... it was the iPad I needed to see some improvements in. And there is.

I've no idea what's happened to your 6 Plus.

8.3 did great on my 6, except for not being able to make or receive calls on my Mac. Hopefully that will be fixed.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Is the rotation bug on iPad minis as shown in this video fixed? It's still present in iOS 8.2 beta 5!

HOLY CRAP, I thought I was the only one!! This is so annoying! It happens nonstop on my mini 2, if I restart the iPad it helps but then within a couple hours it comes back and I don't know why. Is this exclusive to iPad mini's? It seems like a rather uncommon bug because I didn't know of anyone else who had this issue until now.
My Air and 5s are smooth as can be on 8.3 ... and I'm incredibly sensitive to dropped UI animations frames in iOS.
Really? I'm pretty excited for iOS 8.3 now. My mini 2 is a nightmare on iOS 8. When I leave apps after using them for awhile, it leaves in just two huge stuttery jumps. Rotating usually takes several seconds to perform, even though it's smooth when it actually does it usually is smooth (outside of apps or anything involving the keyboard). Spotlight is pretty stuttery. Quick reply is pretty stuttery. Anything involving the keyboard is pretty stuttery. I think you get the point haha. I observe occasional dropped framed on my iPhone 6 as well, so yeah. There's that.
What's really pleasing me about iOS 8.3 is the fact the keyboard is more responsive in Safari and most of all the animation when the keyboard slides up from the bottom of the screen in Spotlight is super smooth again, like iOS 7 (this is on iPad Air).

The animation when you quit Spotlight and the blur fades out to reveal the home screen has a tiny bit of stutter near the end, but it's a vast improvement on iOS 8.1.x builds where the keyboard would judder as it slide up from the bottom of the screen. Although oddly, on 8.1.x if you kept your finger on the screen as you slowly slide your finger down, the keyboard came up smoothly.

Now on 8.3 when you just swipe down with one finger, the keyboard appears smoothly again. If they can fix the exit animation stutter it'll be perfect.

In fact I'm finding iOS 8.3 is as close to iOS 7.1.2 performance on iPad Air as iOS 8 has ever been. So smooth throughout the UI, with the exception of the usual Spotlight rotation animation which remains choppy on almost every device
This is very exciting for me! Is the keyboard smooth when you tap the URL bar in Safari? And the about the keyboard when leaving spotlight? Split keyboard in both scenarios? Is the UI bug still present where the split keyboard is connected when it first appears?
Nope, everything as it should be by default. Full animations and transparencies.

If you followed my debate with MaxIT on here regarding iOS 8 animations you'd know that I'm incredibly OCD when it comes to iOS animations and noticing dropped frames.

8.3 is by the far best I've seen iOS 8 perform on my Air and 5s, although my 5s was also fine on iOS 8.1.3 ... it was the iPad I needed to see some improvements in. And there is.

I've no idea what's happened to your 6 Plus.

This is amazing to hear again... I thought they left A7 iPads in the dust. Hopefully iOS 8.3 is as smooth as you claim xD not too happy with my mini 2 performance right now.

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
What's really pleasing me about iOS 8.3 is the fact the keyboard is more responsive in Safari and most of all the animation when the keyboard slides up from the bottom of the screen in Spotlight is super smooth again, like iOS 7 (this is on iPad Air).

The animation when you quit Spotlight and the blur fades out to reveal the home screen has a tiny bit of stutter near the end, but it's a vast improvement on iOS 8.1.x builds where the keyboard would judder as it slide up from the bottom of the screen. Although oddly, on 8.1.x if you kept your finger on the screen as you slowly slide your finger down, the keyboard came up smoothly.

Now on 8.3 when you just swipe down with one finger, the keyboard appears smoothly again. If they can fix the exit animation stutter it'll be perfect.

In fact I'm finding iOS 8.3 is as close to iOS 7.1.2 performance on iPad Air as iOS 8 has ever been. So smooth throughout the UI, with the exception of the usual Spotlight rotation animation which remains choppy on almost every device

Wow, I'm happy to hear you...

I'm very excited waiting for iOS 8.3. I'm an 5s and iPad Air owner and I don't have issues at all with mi iPhone, however my iPad's performance is horrible in iOS 8.1.3 compared with 7.1.3.

The animations are very choppy, and sometimes when I scroll Safari websites (heavy pages) the scrolling is not snappier... However my iPhone 5s has a right performance.

I was very surprised and disappointed with Apple because iPad Air is just one year old device, and it was very laggy...

Very happy to read your experiences with the new 8.3 beta...

Sorry for my english

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
HOLY CRAP, I thought I was the only one!! This is so annoying! It happens nonstop on my mini 2, if I restart the iPad it helps but then within a couple hours it comes back and I don't know why. Is this exclusive to iPad mini's? It seems like a rather uncommon bug because I didn't know of anyone else who had this issue until now.

Really? I'm pretty excited for iOS 8.3 now. My mini 2 is a nightmare on iOS 8. When I leave apps after using them for awhile, it leaves in just two huge stuttery jumps. Rotating usually takes several seconds to perform, even though it's smooth when it actually does it usually is smooth (outside of apps or anything involving the keyboard). Spotlight is pretty stuttery. Quick reply is pretty stuttery. Anything involving the keyboard is pretty stuttery. I think you get the point haha. I observe occasional dropped framed on my iPhone 6 as well, so yeah. There's that.

This is very exciting for me! Is the keyboard smooth when you tap the URL bar in Safari? And the about the keyboard when leaving spotlight? Split keyboard in both scenarios? Is the UI bug still present where the split keyboard is connected when it first appears?

This is amazing to hear again... I thought they left A7 iPads in the dust. Hopefully iOS 8.3 is as smooth as you claim xD not too happy with my mini 2 performance right now.

The keyboard and the animations as the address is highlighted and slides left when tapped is still stutters in landscape mode. In portrait mode it's super smooth.

With Quick Reply my experience was that the first time I pulled the notification down, there was a stutter (identical to the way Spotlight did on iOS 7 first time it was activated). After that, smooth as can be. And I sent several test messages to try it out.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The keyboard and the animations as the address is highlighted and slides left when tapped is still stutters in landscape mode. In portrait mode it's super smooth.

With Quick Reply my experience was that the first time I pulled the notification down, there was a stutter (identical to the way Spotlight did on iOS 7 first time it was activated). After that, smooth as can be. And I sent several test messages to try it out.

Oh, well that's disappointing to hear. Is the situation the same in spotlight, or is the keyboard smooth in both orientations? We still have 5 or so betas to go anyway, they may try and improve on landscape-exclusive lag in those versions. Hopefully. The fact that they've made any improvement is still enough for me. It has felt like they weren't going to do anything AT ALL for the longest time.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Oh, well that's disappointing to hear. Is the situation the same in spotlight, or is the keyboard smooth in both orientations? We still have 5 or so betas to go anyway, they may try and improve on landscape-exclusive lag in those versions. Hopefully. The fact that they've made any improvement is still enough for me. It has felt like they weren't going to do anything AT ALL for the longest time.

Yeah as I said earlier, the lag when rotating in Spotlight is still present.

Only way to have smooth rotation of the keyboard is to disable the transparencies.

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Has anyone been able to get this to actually work or will there need to be a firmware (or even hardware) update for the radios before wireless carplay actually functions?

I tested this today with my pioneer nex 5000 but I couldn't get it to work. It says to use the voice button to set it up so i tried the button that activates Siri but that didn't do anything. I suspect pioneer will need another firmware update for wireless CarPlay.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
PA
How is the battery life on the 6 compared to 8.1.3? I've stayed away from betas ever since iOS 8 beta 4, which killed my battery and made my phone go crazy even after a full wipe and restore.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
About Wireless car play..... Because it's now wireless, is it still compatible with iPhone 5 or later or other iOS devices can support it.

iPeterCao

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Seattle
I see. Not sure either. Looks like a ram issue. It's very laggy and choppy most of the times tho. Bluetooth and GPS enable all the time. All the apps killed once used.

I had the same issue. Control Center would take forever to come up, dropped frames, music would lag when I tried to switch songs.

My simple fix was to "respring" my device by changing the display zoom.

Fixed everything.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I had the same issue. Control Center would take forever to come up, dropped frames, music would lag when I tried to switch songs.

My simple fix was to "respring" my device by changing the display zoom.

Fixed everything.

Yeah like I wrote above. I fixed it by restating the phone. Are you also on ip6+?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I tested this today with my pioneer nex 5000 but I couldn't get it to work. It says to use the voice button to set it up so i tried the button that activates Siri but that didn't do anything. I suspect pioneer will need another firmware update for wireless CarPlay.

Thanks for testing. At this point I might consider getting a CarPlay radio if I knew that wireless was coming... I'm sure I could deal with plugging the phone in for a short time, but I'm just afraid that existing radios may not have the necessary hardware to support wireless CarPlay and I'd hate to buy into something that couldn't support it in the future.

Hopefully there will be some announcements about what it will take to enable it and which devices will support it at some point.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Updated my 6+ from 8.1.2 to 8.3. I didn't do a clean install. The reasoning was I wanted to see if the awful choppiness and crashing was due to the OS or some sort of corruption unique to my install. I'm happy and sort of shocked to report that my phone is behaving like it never has. Everything is smooth, no more upside down home screen, no more over sensitive screen rotation, no more music skipping or stopping at random because there's an ad in Safari.

I'm sure it'll have its fair share of quarks and resprings, but it clearly has stabilized the issues that were driving me nuts. Very, very pleased so far! And sort of shocked that a simple update is giving me results I'd expect from a fresh install.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone else notice a huge improvement in rendering in safari? The swipe to go back gesture also is a lot smoother and isn't buggy. This is the first build for ios 8 where I can swipe back and not have it either go multiple pages back or just freeze then refresh the current page.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone else notice a huge improvement in rendering in safari? The swipe to go back gesture also is a lot smoother and isn't buggy. This is the first build for ios 8 where I can swipe back and not have it either go multiple pages back or just freeze then refresh the current page.

I noticed this too. Safari is greatly improved. Very fast compared to 8.2 or 8.1.3

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
I just figured it out. The "Password Settings" menu only shows when Touch ID is disabled for App Store purchases.

Attachments

• IMG_0071-2.jpg
    IMG_0071-2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.