Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I upgraded to iOS 8.4 OTA at work (away from the computer I sync with), and upon launching Music all that's in my library is my ITMS purchases, and no playlists other than one titled "Purchased". In other words, all my own music (my rips) -- the majority of the music on my phone -- is gone, and so are all the playlists I've created. Looking at the "usage" in my phone, it suggests the missing content is still taking up memory though.

Anyone know how to get the music and playlists to show back up, short of syncing (I'm away from my computer)?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Turn off iCloud Music Library. Happened to me too
I don't have an option to turn off iCloud Music Library in either Settings--> Music or Settings --> iCloud. I don't use iCloud for backup nor do I use iTunes Match, if that matters. Normally I just backup and sync to my Mac, you know, the old-fashioned way.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
I don't have an option to turn off iCloud Music Library in either Settings--> Music or Settings --> iCloud. I don't use iCloud for backup nor do I use iTunes Match, if that matters. Normally I just backup and sync to my Mac, you know, the old-fashioned way.
Settings> Music> Show Apple Music >OFF
Settings> Music> iCloud Music Library >OFF

If you don't see those options, then perhaps resetting your iPhone would help.

Also, if you don't plan on using iCloud Music Library then make sure you don't turn that feature on on your Mac. I made the mistake to doing that last night and all my playlists were duplicated in iTunes, with one copy of each being empty. I was nervous about deleting the empty ones since the ones with music in them had a cloud symbol with a slash, not exactly sure what that meant. So retrieved my .itl file from Time Machine, back to normal (whew!)

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
On the “My Music” tab, you can select the drop-down menu that begins with “Artists” in the middle of the screen and deactivate the “Music Available Offline” option at the bottom of the menu. This should show all of your music again. It's default to On after you update which gives the appearance that all of your music is gone. It's dumb, I know.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
On the “My Music” tab, you can select the drop-down menu that begins with “Artists” in the middle of the screen and deactivate the “Music Available Offline” option at the bottom of the menu. This should show all of your music again. It's default to On after you update which gives the appearance that all of your music is gone. It's dumb, I know.

Didn't work. I just ended up with no music at all. I tried all the switches and settings, and nothing gave me my music back. Ultimately, syncing fixed it (the next day).

Reactions: dk001

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
This randomly happened to me yesterday.

After signing out of apple music and iTunes Match a few times my music and playlists magically reappeared.

Was about to drive to apple and start banging on some doors...

Reactions: dk001

johnchabin

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
After IOS 8.4 update, I lost all my movies and music. A Sync seems to have straightened things out.

My music was actually deleted from the phone.

themightyjaymoe

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
I only got about 70% of my music. Unless I can produce every itunes receipt from 2010-present I'm screwed. Apparently Apple can't tell me what i've download from them with my user ID. Mind boggling.

Shemja

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
After IOS 8.4 update, I lost all my movies and music. A Sync seems to have straightened things out.

My music was actually deleted from the phone.

I'm having the same issue. There is no toggle for iCould Drive or iTunes Match because I never joined them. If I click on Artist, all I have is one album bought from Apple. All my music, playlists, and videos are simply deleted.

Oh. And I now have over 27GB of Other data on my phone. I bet that's all my music and vids my phone won't access. Nothing I do deletes it, so now I'm gonna have to restore my entire phone.

I'm rather pissed.

Last edited:

Peaugh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm having the same issue. There is no toggle for iCould Drive or iTunes Match because I never joined them. If I click on Artist, all I have is one album bought from Apple. All my music, playlists, and videos are simply deleted.

Oh. And I now have over 27GB of Other data on my phone. I bet that's all my music and vids my phone won't access. Nothing I do deletes it, so now I'm gonna have to restore my entire phone.

I'm rather pissed.

I just found the same situation on my phone. To say I'm livid is an understatement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.