ios 8.4 update - lost all my artwork

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Walrus Man, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Walrus Man macrumors newbie

Did an update to ios 8.4 to get the new Music app. All seemed okay at first. Then I just updated a couple of albums' artwork in iTunes, did another sync - lost ALL my album artwork on my ipod. :(

2. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

If it helps, I've had that problem before the update, so it's probably not 8.4 causing it. Maybe it was just triggered at the same time.

And no, I'm not sure yet how to fix it either :)

3. Larouche macrumors member

Same thing for me.... I installed the beat versions of 8.4 and everything was fine. But my first sync after installing the official release, no more artwork. Plus, I cannot transfer any new track from iTunes to my iPod. It says the sync is complete, but the tracks never transfer... I alfeady had the artwork issue before and I fixed it by re-syncing all my music (over 8000 songs...). But now, since I cannot sync new songs, I'm kind of screwed...

I'm really tired of this. There's sync issues since iOS 7 was introduced, it's really a pain.

So sorry, I'm also looking for a solution.

4. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

5. Larouche macrumors member

The albums that I bought in iTunes are showing the artwork on my iPod. Others (ripped CDs mostly, bandcamp purchased, etc) are not showing. Most of my artwork is downloaded from the iTunes Store and others are all 1400 x 1400 because I updated all of them last year because there was some artwork-related issues...

6. BrettApple, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Lost mine on my iPhone 6 Plus (8.4) and 4s (9.0 B2). I haven't plugged my Classic in because it's my main media player and I don't want to jack it up.

It seems to be related more to iTunes 12.2 but maybe it's iOS 8.4 as well. I had artwork disappear in my iTunes library that had been there previously. I'm also completely unable to import anything to iTunes via dragging, file - add to library or any other method. Seems like something went whacky with the latest update. Not surprising with Apple's quality control over the last couple years...

Edit: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104066

Also they change the default sort order for albums from album title to artist. What good does that do? It's like Apple is trying to screw with us. And the only artwork that shows up is from iTunes purchases. Imported CDs and other files don't.

[​IMG]

7. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Very simple... Ripped cd files need to have embedded art and not art automatically. If you embed the art into the file manually the cover will show up.

8. Walrus Man thread starter macrumors newbie

(a) Not true. I have some albums where I've manually added the artwork because iTunes couldn't find it. These albums are also missing artwork on my iPod.
    (b) How crap would that be? iTunes provides an 'download artwork' feature, that then didn't bother showing it on the iPod.
    It's a bug, a big one, and it needs fixing.

9. Dunkrag, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

Dunkrag macrumors regular

Dunkrag

Same here.. installed 8.4 and 12.2 and first sync was ok.. then everyone since then my embedded artwork won't copy across..

Only solution with a 128gb iPhone and 20,000+ tracks is a restore, which takes about 4 days.. complete nightmare..

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I had the same on my iPad, and then all the icons came back, one after the other. Took a while until everything was there.

11. gaspar100 macrumors newbie

I have faced a similar problem after updating to IOS 8.4 all my new artworks vanished the olde ones area ok!
    Besides , I have problem with my iphone 5 also , but I received a good assitance directly from Apple Brazil and solved the problems ...
    I believe it is a problem indeed that Apple must addressed it to solve !

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had to remove music from syncing, and then re-add it, and sync again to get mine to show up again.

I don't even have iTunes setup WITH my Apple ID and handle it all manually.

13. gaspar100 macrumors newbie

I have found a very interesting issue , the Artworks that are not showing up are all that was provided directly from Itunes by using "get artworks", so I decided to remove part of them and add/put manually the artworks, so as magic those show up again! There are a real problem that Apple should fix !

14. Larouche macrumors member

So has usual, the fix was to remove all music from my device and re-sync it. And I must say the sync is pretty slow... I even had issues when I tried to remove all the music. It says ”0 songs” next the Sync Music check box in the Music tab in iTunes but still showing 8000 songs or so in the bottom coloured bar and it was still on my iPod... After a couple of tries, it worked though.

15. Walrus Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I too had to completely remove all of my music from the iPod, then resync. Thankfully all my artwork came back, and everything seems as it was before. Except that the user interface for the music app is now crap for your own music, too much focus on Apple Music.

16. Dunkrag macrumors regular

Dunkrag

Still having this problem after numerous sync's, restores..

For the first time in 7 years thoughts are creeping into my head like.. 'I wonder what another brand of phone would be like..?'

17. tnargus macrumors newbie

tnargus

Hi all,

Have had similar problems to most who have posted above. In order to get album artwork to appear on my iPhone with iOS8.4 from iTunes 12.2, I selected all my albums in iTunes, right clicked and selected "Clear Downloaded Artwork". I then removed all synced music from my iPhone. Then I re-synced that music back onto the phone. BOOM. Art showed up.

Hope this helps some people :)

18. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I had this missing artwork problem after syncing my iPhone 6 with my PC over the weekend (iOS 8.4, latest iTunes). I was trying to add the music from a physical CD to my phone, and that new music also failed to sync to the phone. Repeated attempts to sync did not fix either problem. Then I looked at the entire list of songs on my phone in iTunes on the PC. This is different from the list of songs in the iTunes library on the computer. You need to look at the list of songs actually on the device.

I searched in this list for the new songs that didn't make it, and noticed that they were actually listed, but were greyed out and had a dotted circle to the left of the song name. So then I scrolled down through my entire list looking for other songs with the grey circle. It turned out that every song from the new CD was like that, plus 3 ancient voice memos from some of my oldest iPhones. Apparently iTunes was having trouble syncing those old voice memos to my phone. I didn't care about the voice memos, so I went into the Voice Memos App on my iPhone and deleted them (they wouldn't play anyways). Then I went into iTunes on my PC and completely deleted them from my library as well. I reattached my iPhone, clicked sync, and then everything synced perfectly. All of my artwork was back, the new CD was there, and everything is working great. So it turned out (for me) that the ancient voice memos were interrupting my sync and not allowing it to finish properly. Unfortunately, iTunes would never complain or give any clues about what was going on, so finding the solution was purely by trial and error. Hopefully this will help some of you...

19. Apokos macrumors newbie

Apokos

I updated my iPhone 5 last week to IOS 9 and today my iTunes to 12.3.0.44. Obviously, EVERYTIME that I update something iTunes related something goes wrong and this time was no different (that’s I take forever to update and only update with time on my hand to resolve any new consequent issue).

This time all my artwork from the iPhone was missing (everything was just fine with iTunes, no problems there – so far at least). I read a few pages and some of then told me to resync all my music (delete all then sync all) (too much time, but very simple and doable) and other to delete my artwork cache (located in the music’s folders, go to iTunes, then to artwork folder).

I deleted the cache and was prepared to resync from scratch all my music but, just out of trying, decided to resync normally again one more time before.

Then, magically, there it was iTunes uploading to my iPhone my artworks, one by one.

HOWEVER, there is a catch: it was not all my artworks. Maybe it is because I have too much music, idk (and even that is not a excuse for apple). However, I had to synchronize a few times until all my artwork was properly there on the device.

Therefore, my advice would be:

1) Just delete your artwork cache and try to sync.

2) If not, unsync all your songs and try again.

In time: indeed the new interface was supposed to be good but as is too much focused on apple music (sorry, not my cup of tea) it ended up crappy.

Hope it help those in need! It sure helped me, a guy forever struggling with apple unwanted surprises.

20. Apokos macrumors newbie

Apokos

One weird plot twist: After I deleted the artwork cache, I went to iTunes to check if everything was ok, and look at some of the albums.

Now I noticed that iTunes only synchronized the artworks that I have effectively looked upon (aka was loaded from the file to appear on iTunes).

Because of that, one last step: make sure you scroll down all your albums to make them appear in iTunes; otherwise, they will not be synced to your iphone/ipod.

21. Frozo macrumors newbie

You, my friend are a genius. Ive been having this problem for years. I had hope maybe iOS9 would fix this, but no such luck. Unreal. Every "fix" Ive ever read from all over the net was to delete/re-sync. 20K songs that downsample to 128 is NOT FUN. This at least is quick and simple.

My question to you is... ANY idea why this keeps happening?

22. thejv022, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

thejv022 macrumors newbie

If you have an Apple Watch or any other Bluetooth device connected, please either disconnect those devices and/or shut off the bluetooth on your phone. Or better yet? Put it in airplane mode, then resync. Hope I could help :).