iOS 8 Adoption Rate Hits 72% As Android Lollipop Distribution Reaches 1.6%

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

People keep posting negative comments on Apple, on an Apple enthusiast forum, are by definition trolling.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair, not everyone by a long shot was complaining about iOS 6 and its design. And just because iOS 7 design was new new and different that doesn't make it better in everyone's eyes necessarily as those concepts are unrelated.

----------

Fairly certain that's not the definition of trolling.

3. winston1236 macrumors 68000

I have 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 and it runs beautifully. The problems were in the 5.0 release which was also quite limited anyway.

----------

Exactly. In the case of Verizon they don't push an update until over year after it comes out.

4. HKZ/MST3K macrumors regular

That's irrelevant. I own my device, why should Apple have a say in which version I should be allowed to run by getting persmission to do so? You criticizing Android devices for not getting updates is no different than Apple refusing to allow me to use my device on any supported OS version any time I want. You are literally trying to defend an indefensible policy. There is no factual or defensible reason for Apple to not allow me to run what OS version I want. None. And I find it laughable that you talk about Android devices being counted as a convenience. Apple does the same damn thing. They refuse their customers a good user experience because they want to pad their OS install numbers. You're making a mockery of your own defense and proving yourself wrong with every statement.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Secure > More Secure > Most Secure

Makes no sense to go back in the ladder from a security standpoint, thus they decided to disallow it. You're comparing that with climbing the ladder, which appears to be a difficult task thanks to the lack of OS updates for Android. It's quite a different defence actually. You're just not seeing the bigger picture.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Yet for decades they have no issue with anything like that when it comes to Mac OS.

7. tdale macrumors 65816

Calm down, don't get upset, its not that important to you is it to defend Android? Or is it?

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Because it'd be dumb to try. There's simply too much user control over the hardware (formatting hard drives and such) that they'd never win that fight. Phones are significantly more locked down.

9. HKZ/MST3K macrumors regular

Apparently its so important to you that you're defending Apple, so what's so different between your comment and mine? I'm upset that Apple is doing the very same things that you fault Android for, why must you be a hypocrite about it?

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Which provides for an easier way to do it, but not really for a good reason to do it, at least not from the side of the consumers who end up with a worse functioning device and no way to go back to what actually worked fine for them.

11. HKZ/MST3K macrumors regular

Not true. They do it specifically to up their numbers. They can easily release security updates to older version of the OS and they have a history of doing so. They stopped quite awhile ago and now only do major updates once a year that, strangely enough, coincide with new hardware. There's a reason they do this, they want to move hardware and software not being supported is a perfect way to do so.

I don't care what Android does, that's completely irrelevant to the discussion and just an opportunity for people like you to sidetrack everything. What they do, Microsoft or anyone else does in terms of updates has absolutely no bearing on this discussion. Leave your pot shots for where it is applicable because it certainly is not here.

What bigger picture? Apple can, has and does release security updates. There's no reason they can't do that for older versions for a least a generation or two no matter what version they are running. HOWEVER, they decide that since I am on a version that they can boast about, they stop allowing people to downgrade to an older version. That's an indefensible policy because they can continue to support the older version, but since they care very little about customer experience and more about headlines they don't do this. If they cared about customer experience they wouldn't force people to stay on an OS that runs like ****. My iPad 3 is pretty much unusable with iOS 8 and there's nothing I can do about it because Apple steadfastly refuses to allow me to use my hardware like I want. I'm not even talking about jailbreaking either, they should have NO say in what OS i want to run (as long as it is supported on that hardware of course). Apple should NEVER have a say in what version of an OS my device runs. Never. There's no defense against that because if you defend it, you're nothing more than an apologist.

12. mKTank, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

"Software not being supported" except for the fact that they have the longest-lasting software support of any manufacturer. I really don't get the whinging here. They only apply security updates to older OSes if it's really major. Otherwise, I don't see why they'd waste their time on legacy software. They're busy enough as it is.

???

The quote I used from your post mentioned Android twice......

It certainly is here, considering that this thread is about iOS vs. Android after all...

If it's major enough or if they're selling hardware that only supports legacy OSes.

Because those devices are most likely supporting the newer OSes and/or the security exploits aren't major enough.

Because the more security the better. Also don't forget that they're trying to eliminate fragmentation as much as possible. Last thing devs need is writing an app for 50 different versions just because people can't make up their minds.

Seems pretty defensible to me. Just seems like you have some kind of agenda against their decision to prevent insecurity and prevent fragmentation. I'm very sorry that your 3 year old hardware is starting to slow down but nobody forced you to update in the first place. also "they care very little about customer experience" except for the part where they're usually the top (or at the very least, top 3) of the customer experience surveys. Pretty weak point.

Again, nobody forced you to click "Update." You're seriously getting mad that your 3-year-old hardware is starting to slow down...

Except it's their product and they can do whatever they want with it. You're the one who bought it and you're the one who should have done the research before updating.

Pros for forcing updates:
    Security
    Features
    Less Fragmentation

Cons:
    Nostalgic people are crying because their icons aren't shiny anymore
    Runs slow on 3 year old hardware (hint: this is the tech world. I can't believe you're so surprised that things have rapidly changed in 3 entire years).

Yeah I think I give up on you. If you're so buttmad about Apple's practices, maybe you shouldn't be buying their products?

Also, think twice before you call somebody an "apologist" if their sig contains more competitor phones than they do the brand they're supposedly "apologizing for." Apple stops signing earlier software for security reasons. Crying about it won't change it. Nobody forced you to press update except for your own curiosity. So yeah, get a Nexus or something. :rolleyes:

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Ah, yes, the "no one forced you to upgrade" argument. But you know if you did maybe even simply because you needed to restore your phone due to some issue (that was certainly some choice you had there), or even just on your own, and it doesn't peform well on your device which has been deemed as one that should work well with the latest update since it was made available for it, well, then too bad for you. That's certaibly some good looking out for the consumer right there, especially from a company that is seen as and places itself as quite consumer friendly. Yeah, that's certainly an argument that stands up and worthy of being used to defend something.

And the whole "don't like it then go away" argument is oh so much better in that respect. Truly worthwhile and clearly simply is the best one out there.

14. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Oh well. There are plenty of phones out there. If the way Apple runs things is annoying somebody, then maybe they shouldn't be using Apple products? The vast majority of the users are very happy with their Apple products. Apple isn't "placing itself" anywhere; the vast majority of users are placing Apple in that high regard. I don't think they'll lose much sleep over a screaming minority.

Or maybe we should all keep shelling out thousands per year and complain that uncle Apple isn't being fair.

15. Trapezoid, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

Trapezoid macrumors 65816

Trapezoid

Don't you know that that is what's happening? No one really wants to buy iPhones. It's the apple brainwashing gamma ray that's forcing them to!

16. Keirasplace macrumors 601

Its like the old joke... (modified)... Nobody buys Iphones anymore because they're always a 8 weeks waiting list to get one.... ;-).

The old joke was, nobody goes to that restaurant anymore cause its always full ;-).

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Erase All Content and Settings doesn't resolve many issues nor is it even accessible of something went wrong with the phone where it's not booting properly or it needs to be actually restored for other reasons. A semi-related workaround doesn't actually address the issue of being forced onto the latest update in situations like that. But apparently no forcing is happening, right?

And of course instead of making some valid points and discussing how things could and should be improved it's certainly easier just to tell someone to go away so that you don't have to face anything and deal with it. Certainly a method that works, just one of ignorance rather than anything else. Apple has placed itself where it is, let's not be pretending otherwise since it's just makes the arguments disingenuous...but they already seem to be that way anyway.

18. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Ugh I hate iPhone and Apple so much here's my money.

No, I don't get it either.

19. mKTank, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

iPhones don't get to that state by themselves unless you jail broke and screwed something up. Otherwise, resetting through Settings is known to fix just about any software bug considering it reverts all system files and folders to factory.

Not when it comes to continuing to buy Apple products, no.

And again, iPhones don't just randomly brick unless you caused it yourself or there's some hardware issue which iTunes won't save you from.

Yes let's make it easier for somebody who didn't do their research and succumbed to his own curiosity and is now whining about the new flat design or slowness on his 3 year old hardware. Furthermore, let's not only allow users to install legacy insecure software, but let's make it harder for devs who will now have to develop apps for a dozen heavily used versions because people jumping across them can't make up their minds.

If you don't find these points (which I've brought up before) valid, then I can't help you. Just a little bit glad that you don't run things at Apple, though. Me being a computer scientist, your reasoning makes me cringe.

It definitely works according to their user experience surveys. You lot are a massively vocal minority in a sea of happy, content people who realize they have a choice in motor control of their limbs and won't hit update uncontrollably anytime soon.

Anyway let this be my last reply here; I've made my point.

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Phones get into all kinds of states without jailbreaking. It's not to say it happens often or to everyone, but they certainly do. To keep on saying otherwise is to keep on ignoring reality.

Ultimately the argument seems to come down to "stop talking about this or just leave". As mentioned before, simplistic thinking like that that simply avoids the whole thing surely makes for a good argument. Seems like a good application of that would then apply to discussions like this where someone that doesn't care about it should just simply "stop talking about this and just leave", right?

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Omg, I just realized I've been brainwashed #

----------

I can't really understand your point. There's nothing to deal with. That's Apple policy about iDevices. Like it or not.
    If you don't like it, you can surely buy something else.
    As an Android and Windows phone user I can tell you that in those places things aren't really different, from a final user point of view.
    Yes you have the technical possibility to flash another operative system version, but for the typical user the only version readily available is the latest.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I can also discuss it with others as that's kind of the thing that discussion forums are for.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's true.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if someone answer me "that's the Apple's way, if you don't like it, use something else" ;)

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not surprising, no, but it also doesn't contribute to the discussion either, in particular when that point has already been made and then is just parroted basically for no useful reason.

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[Mod Note]

I have removed some personal comments. Please keep the discussion on the thread topic. Thanks