Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jrobert94

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Is it worth the $99 become a developer to get iOS 8? I don't want to develop any app I just want iOS 8.

Would be better off paying someone with a dev account to add you. Most people dont go near there 99 device limit. I for instance have used 3

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
So people will let you use their accounts?

They shouldn't be. But we get into this argument every year.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740290/
Our administrator Annk posted this in the iOS7 forum and it pertains here as well

We know that many of you are anxious to try the beta versions of OS X Yosemite and iOS8, the only way to legally do so is to be a registered developer of Apple software or where applicable their public beta.

We do not allow sales of UDID slots or requests for UDID slots, or allow for any discussion about specific steps that need to be taken to run the software without a proper license.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
iOS 8, All The Little Things! [Features Discovered in iOS 8]

Oh ok. I was just wondering. I don't want to start any kind of argument.I would just like to try iOS 8. It seems like some really cool features, but it seems betas are not worth the $99. Thanks for the info though.

And I certainly didn't want to blame you of trying. It's been a touchy subject in the past. The betas have cool features, but in general, if you rely on your device, the betas aren't a good fit. Even I regret putting it on my device sometimes.

Hopefully people start including more screenshots you can enjoy! ;)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
And I certainly didn't want to blame you of trying. It's been a touchy subject in the past. The betas have cool features, but in general, if you rely on your device, the betas aren't a good fit. Even I regret putting it on my device sometimes.

Hopefully people start including more screenshots you can enjoy! ;)

Alright thanks. Yeah I have been filling this thread from the beginning just to see what people are saying about it. I will just keep my eye on it. Thanks again.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Save your money. Betas are just frustrating to use if you don't have a goal (i.e. making an app) in mind.

This. You might be tempted by all the screenshots, but they don't show you the full picture of crashes and generally weird behaviour. For instance on my iPhone 5S, the Settings app will crash 3/4 times whenever I need it, before working for a little bit on the 5th time. The app I use for online banking doesn't work at all. Sometimes my phone just crashes and reboots.

It's not as glamorous as many people think. It isn't like Apple has already finished it but are sitting on their hands until some arbitrary date to release it. It's like a construction site - it isn't finished and is unstable until they've finished work on it.

With iOS8, the really big features are developer features (things like extensions). It looks all fancy that you can have custom keyboards and so on, but there isn't a single custom keyboard on the AppStore today, nor will there be before iOS8 is made public. Same with Handoff/Continuity. You won't actually be able to use those features like Apple demonstrated before the OS is actually released.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Is it worth the $99 become a developer to get iOS 8? I don't want to develop any app I just want iOS 8.

No. Why would you pay $99 for something you will get free in a few months? I seriously don't get this at all. As others said, it's beta and had bugs in it. Me, I rather let the developers deal with the bugs, frustrations, and get them worked out. They know what to look for, and send the info to Apple.
This. You might be tempted by all the screenshots, but they don't show you the full picture of crashes and generally weird behaviour. For instance on my iPhone 5S, the Settings app will crash 3/4 times whenever I need it, before working for a little bit on the 5th time. The app I use for online banking doesn't work at all. Sometimes my phone just crashes and reboots.

It's not as glamorous as many people think. It isn't like Apple has already finished it but are sitting on their hands until some arbitrary date to release it. It's like a construction site - it isn't finished and is unstable until they've finished work on it.

With iOS8, the really big features are developer features (things like extensions). It looks all fancy that you can have custom keyboards and so on, but there isn't a single custom keyboard on the AppStore today, nor will there be before iOS8 is made public. Same with Handoff/Continuity. You won't actually be able to use those features like Apple demonstrated before the OS is actually released.

One of the many reasons why I don't mind paying for an app. The stuff the developer has to go through must be a pain. Have a phone crash on you when you're trying to make a call or something. Any you just said your banking app doesn't work, so now you have to find other ways to do your banking.

ipodfreek

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Exactly how does Quick Reply work?

I like quick reply a lot. Im pretty sure bitesms is the reason most jailbreak

I'm obviously doing the quick reply thing wrong. Can someone explain how you do it? I accidentally did it yesterday when my wife texted me, but can't seem to reproduce what I did. Thanks.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Thanks now it does not seem nearly as enticing. I can wait. If I had an old iPhone 4s, or 5 just sitting around I might try it out on those. But it does not sound like a good idea for my daily used and relied on iPhone 5s.

----------

No. Why would you pay $99 for something you will get free in a few months? I seriously don't get this at all. As others said, it's beta and had bugs in it. Me, I rather let the developers deal with the bugs, frustrations, and get them worked out. They know what to look for, and send the info to Apple.

One of the many reasons why I don't mind paying for an app. The stuff the developer has to go through must be a pain. Have a phone crash on you when you're trying to make a call or something. Any you just said your banking app doesn't work, so now you have to find other ways to do your banking.

As a tech person I love new technology, and I love to play around with it. Simply as that. If I can get my hands on it early I will try. Hence the reason I ask if it was worth it. I ask so now I know it's not worth it.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
As a tech person I love new technology, and I love to play around with it. Simply as that. If I can get my hands on it early I will try. Hence the reason I ask if it was worth it. I ask so now I know it's not worth it.

I am a casual developer with a few low volume apps that make me a few dollars, and I usually install the betas after the 3rd beta or so when things have stabilized a lot. By that time, usually the built-in functions all work reasonably well. However, every time I install a beta, there are always some of the apps that I frequently use that do not work. More than half the time it is on the iOS side and Apple fixes the problem in a later beta release, but often the problem is with the app itself. The developer is under no pressure to have a fix before the final release, so I end up spending months without important apps working for me.

This time, I think I will just debug my apps in the simulator and will wait for the production release in the fall.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm obviously doing the quick reply thing wrong. Can someone explain how you do it? I accidentally did it yesterday when my wife texted me, but can't seem to reproduce what I did. Thanks.

Lock screen: When you get a new text, swipe left on the text to reveal new options, and then tap "reply." Will allow you to reply without unlocking the phone.

When using the phone: Slide down on the text notification. It will then allow you to type a response without opening the messages app or leaving whatever app you are currently in.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Ew, it really bugs me that the Slideshow, AirPlay and More icons are outlined but the Copy, Print and Assign to Contact are not. Talk about inconsistency!

Seriously! I love them! I actually wrote them in the bugreport in ios 7 do add colors and here it is .. There's awesome!

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
purchased apps on the app store are now in alphabetical order instead of recently purchased on top

6ruyp9M.png

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
I hope that's a bug Apple are going to fix.

----------

Are reviews in the App Store still ordered randomly?

Or have they fixed it to show most recent first?

You have always been able to sort App Store reviews as "Most Positive", "Most Negative", "Most Helpful", and "Most Recent". I don't know if that is the exact name since I'm German but that's how its been in iOS like forever.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
..You don't have to say "What's playing" to Siri to match a song via Shazam. You can just start Siri without saying anything, and it'll automatically match music in the background.

If you do this through Siri (which is cool since it's so quick when you hear music you like) there doesn't seem to be any way to get a listing of your previously tagged songs like you could if you actually used the Shazam app.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
You have always been able to sort App Store reviews as "Most Positive", "Most Negative", "Most Helpful", and "Most Recent". I don't know if that is the exact name since I'm German but that's how its been in iOS like forever.
I'm pretty sure that's only on iPad and Android. The iPhone doesn't get any sorting at all.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
The phone app now scrolls if a name is too long while calling, it does not at all resize the name, even long ones.
And FaceTime Audio on iPad has 6 buttons instead of four, including 'Add call' although I didn't test what that does.
Also, on iPad the contacts app has a different ratio list-to-contact (now like in the settings app)

Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
The phone app now scrolls if a name is too long while calling, it does not at all resize the name, even long ones.
And FaceTime Audio on iPad has 6 buttons instead of four, including 'Add call' although I didn't test what that does.
Also, on iPad the contacts app has a different ratio list-to-contact (now like in the settings app)

Could you test that to see if it's actually group FaceTime?

euchanels

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Is one able to delete 'likes' from pictures in Photo Streams?? I found in iOS7 this problem that I was unable to delete a 'Like' from someone who I dated for a short while, now I dont want their 'Likes' hanging around my pics.. SO annoying!!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

Is contact pictures full screen on incoming calls?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.