iPad iOS 8 and iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jordan246, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

Does anyone here think that the IPad 3 is going to get ios 8

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's very possible that it will not. It has the same CPU and RAM amount as the iPad 2, is no longer sold, and is at its third version of iOS.

3. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Seriously? You need to start searching more.

The iPad 3 may be supported. Only Apple can be the source of this.

However, the iPad 3 has the A5X processor (iPad 2 had the A5).

Memory on iPad 2 is 512MB and iPad 3 is 1GB.

iPad 3 has 4G/LTE support, over 3G with iPad 2

iPad 3 has 1080p rear camera, vs 720p with iPad 2.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think it will be. If iOS7 was supported on the iPad 2, it is unlikely that Apple will completely abandon support for 2 of their iPad models at the same time. I think the iPad 2 wont be supported, but the iPad 3 will be (but may be limited on the features). We will find out for sure on Jun 2nd though.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I own an iPad 3 and the A5X barely kept up with the higher resolution screen. In most cases the iPad 2 was a smoother experience. I should know I also own an iPad 2. There are quite a few on this forum that have stated that the iPad 3 has performance issues running iOS 7. I would be quite surprised to see iOS 8 offered on the iPad 3.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad 3's CPU is the same generation as the 2's, but with a better GPU. Same computational powers, nothing better. The camera and cellular band support is irrelevant for iOS version support. Based on past iOS devices' version support history, the iPad 3 will not be getting iOS 8. Largely because it has met the terms outlined in the EULA of release version of iOS and two updates and is no longer sold. It was also little more than a screen and ram bump of the iPad 2. This is seen as it was only on the market from March of 2012 to October of 2012. Based on Apple's trend, the iPad Mini 1 and 4S will be getting iOS 8 due to the Mini's unmet EULA and the iPhone 4S still being sold as well as past iPhone release trends.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'll go out on a limb and say that I think the iPad 3 will get iOS8. The replacement for iPads is much less frequent than that for iPhones and Apple only recently stopped selling its predecessor as a new device--the iPad 2.

I realize that the past pattern was that a device generally got only 2 updates--but I think that's going to be expanded. Not only is the replacement rate less frequent, but the hardware leaps aren't quite as great for each generation.

8. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I'm also betting on yes. Up until last week the iPad 2 was still being sold and Apple doesn't typically sell a product if it won't be getting the next software version.

9. theromz macrumors regular

Maybe you need too do your own research, the A5X just has a different GPU then the A5, but the same CPU. the A5X is System on Chip (SoC) and not a CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5X
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

I think it might not, the iPad3 seems like the product Apple want to bear and forget it ever made, it was quickly replaced by the iPad 4. I'm not sure how well the A5X handles the retina screen with iOS7 too. Only saving grace is the iPad Mini is still being sold, and I think it will be sold for awhile till they can get the rMini to the same margins.

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

iPad 3 has twice the CPU performance of the iPad 2, twice the GPU performance of the iPad 2, twice the RAM as the iPad 2. 2 does not equal 1. Well know this all too well the the 1Gb of RAM in the iPad Air and rMini. It really should have been 2.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You may be confusing the iPad 3 and 4's CPU. The 3's is still clocked at 1Ghz and delivers a Geekbench score of 760 compared to the iPad 2's score of 739. Hardly double and nothing worth noting. For comparison, the iPad 4 is about 2x as fast with a score of 1757 and the iPad 1 is more than half that of the iPad 2 and 3's score at 456. The only difference is an extra GPU core to help it cope with the retina screen and a double the ram. Neither of which help it in computational tasks. The GPU performance isn't twice either. It's roughy 1.3x as good. But the retina screen causes it to lag slightly behind in some tests.

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm not mistaking anything. Apple claimed on it's keynote that the speed increase over the iPad 2 yields on average double the CPU performance and double the GPU performance. Once taking into account the increase in screen resolution, the iPad 2 theoretically would still perform better than the iPad 3, but not all apps actually run at retina (quite a few downscaled due to the whole 4X res, 2X GPU performance issue).

The iPad 2's GPU was the PowerVR SGX543MP2 clocked at 250MHz with a dual channel controller. The iPad 3 used PowerVR SGX543MP4 clocked again at 250MHz. The iPad 3's GPU is quad core, and the iPad 2's is a dual core. This is where the double the GPU performance (off-screen, true performance) comes from (due to no change in architecture, just double the core count).

As for CPU, the A5 and A5X are different. The A5X has a die size of 163mm2, where as the A5 has a die size of 122mm2. The iPad 3 performs around the same as the iPad 2 though. The iPad 3 also has 2X as much RAM (1Gb of DDR2 RAM vs 512Mb of DDR2 RAM).

13. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I'm aware and never claimed it would support another OS. I'm just stating that the person who I replied to was wrong in his comment that the iPad 2 and iPad 3 were the same.

----------

Yes, and it offloads cpu cycles for graphics rendering. I'm not saying the iPad 3 will support iOS 8, but the iPad 2 and 3 are not the same in terms of performance or specs.

14. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Wikipedia is not the best place to go for information. The A5X had an increased die size over the A5. Although both perform around the same, the A5X is different from the A5.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple did make such a statement, but it was in reguards to the GPU performance, not CPU. The benchmark numbers clearly show that the iPad 3 is only a very tiny amount faster than the iPad 2 in computational tasks.

16. exizeo macrumors regular

The iPod 5th gen will almost definitely get iOS 8 (started at 6, -> 7, most likely get 8).

Seeing as those two have nearly the same internals, there's no reason to doubt a move to iOS 8.

I find my 3rd gen to be very smooth. Wonder how much a trade to a 4th gen would be...seeing as that's 'better.'

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That isn't always the case. The iPad 1 had the same, yet slightly better, internals than the iPod Touch 4, but got left behind with iOS 5. But it did launch with iOS 3 and got to iOS 5. It was able to cover three iOS versions and fulfilled its EULA.

18. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

The larger size with a single core processor is what held the first gen iPad back. Now every current iOS 7 device aside from the iPhone 4 is dual core.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The single core and poor ram to screen size ratio didn't hold back iOS 6 from the iPod Touch 4G.

20. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

But a 3.5 inch screen is a lot easier to power than a 9.7 inch screen. Plus, the 4th gen iPod touch ran horribly on iOS 6.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad 1's screen resolution isn't that much smaller than the iPod Touch 4's. It's lack of GPU power for the extra pixels was made up by its slightly better computational power.

22. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

iOS 6 still wouldn't have ran smoothly. The only reason that the iPod touch got iOS 6 was because it was the newest iPod touch available at the time and was still being sold. At that time the iPad 1 had been out of production for over a year.

23. exizeo macrumors regular

Odd. That's almost like saying the iPod 3 ended up in the same place the iPad 1 did. And I know from experience that the iPad is way superior to a iPod.

Either way, I'm leaning toward a rMini or iPad 4 to replace my iPad 3 soon. I don't like the Air's design (iPad 3/4, iPod 4, and iPhone 4/s were the best designs, ever, imo). Hopefully those will run iOS 8, smoothly.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

And that's where the fulfillment of the EULA comes into play. Another more known example of this is iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G. It was a horrid experience to use that should not have been released, but had to be out on there because the iPhone 3G only had two versions of iOS. This is also an example case as to why the iPhone 2G did not get iOS 4. It wasn't being sold and it fulfilled its three iOS versions, despite having the exact same CPU/GPU/RAM as the iPhone 3G.

25. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

iPad 2/3 gets iOS 8. No brainer.

You have to remember, Apple may have made iPad 3 purchases a bit unhappy by pulling it off the market after only 6 months. They will support it until at least 8, perhaps even longer. Probably won't run that great but it will look the part ;)