Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Just received my notice of an update for IOS 8 and it's only 11:45 PM on the West Coast.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I wouldn't touch iOS 8 with a 10-foot pole until enough guinea pigs on the forum here say that it doesn't cause any (and I mean ANY) lag/slowdown on the 5s.

chrislay

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Currently have GM iOS8 on my 5s. Its very similar to the final release, so far its really snappy. If you are worried about performance issues, dont be.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
If I remember correctly the last few updates happened early in the afternoon on release day, so that would make it around 10:00am PST

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Currently have GM iOS8 on my 5s. Its very similar to the final release, so far its really snappy. If you are worried about performance issues, dont be.

Not only need to watch out for lag but also battery life.

I would need to see people post their usage times (minus when the screen is turned off for music) to ensure iOS 8 doesn't mess with the battery life at all.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just make sure as a guinea pig to let us know if it ****s up your phone! ;)

Is the milk yellow in your cereal this morning?

I have never had any trouble with updating right off the bat, never slowed my device down and I been doing this for a long time.

IOS8 will not be perfect but in the days ahead they will issue fixes. I still would like to get my hands on 8 to play with.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I have never had any trouble with updating right off the bat, never slowed my device down and I been doing this for a long time.

IOS8 will not be perfect but in the days ahead they will issue fixes. I still would like to get my hands on 8 to play with.

Get real :rolleyes:

Go back in time to the iPhone 4 threads and you will see lots of people disliking iOS 6 and especially 7 for how it negatively effected their phones performance.

If you think you can blindly trust everything and that every future iOS update will be sunshine and roses with no issues then you my friend are sorely mistaken.

p.s. if you always buy/subsidize a new $650+ phone every two years then this doesn't apply to you as much since an iPhone should at least be ok for 1 update cycle before you get rid of it with another new version 2 years later. For those who actually plan to keep their phone longer than two years though I would be cautious.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Get real :rolleyes:

Go back in time to the iPhone 4 threads and you will see lots of people disliking iOS 6 and especially 7 for how it negatively effected their phones performance.

If you think you can blindly trust everything and that every future iOS update will be sunshine and roses with no issues then you my friend are sorely mistaken.

p.s. if you always buy/subsidize a new $650+ phone every two years then this doesn't apply to you as much since an iPhone should at least be ok for 1 update cycle before you get rid of it with another new version 2 years later. For those who actually plan to keep their phone longer than two years though I would be cautious.

I am real as it comes. The majority have no regrets but there will always be users like you who complain about everything! Just move aside and grow a pair

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I am real as it comes. The majority have no regrets but there will always be users like you who complain about everything! Just move aside and grow a pair

Who's the one complaining here again? :rolleyes:

I simply caution others to let the ones who blindly trust everything and can't wait (such as yourself) test an update before upgrading themselves to avoid issues.

You come along and act all pissy talking about milk or whatever.

Looks like you're the one who needs to grow a pair and move aside...

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
iOS 8. My body is ready. I mean, my phone is ready.

This is going to be so cool!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Why not just download the gm version guys? Get it now before the rush?

Bad idea and here is why:

GM will expire. Despite what people claim it does not count as the final version and here is exactly what will happen if you do this and don't upgrade to the regular version (checking in iTunes will tell you its the latest version but it will expire).

You download GM, it explores. You try and upgrade/restore in iTunes and you can't, because iTunes is confused (unless Apple fixed this issue) and thinks you have a current version.

You then have to do a backup and then a DFU restore and restore using the IPSW file and then restore everything back on your phone. It's a giant pain in the ass and takes awhile.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
iOS 7- the public release and the gm were different versions right?

I'll just wait for the public release, just a few hours to go now.

I remember the shocking iOS 7 download speeds, I had to wait a day too before I could pull it down.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
because most of them think it's still a beta :p I already told my friends to install them GM before the rush and they did.

See my above post.

----------

iOS 7- the public release and the gm were different versions right?

I'll just wait for the public release, just a few hours to go now.

I remember the shocking iOS 7 download speeds, I had to wait a day too before I could pull it down.

Yes they were and you'll be in for a pain in the ass if you don't use the ipsw file to upgrade from the GM seed to the regular version.

----------

Just received my notice of an update for IOS 8 and it's only 11:45 PM on the West Coast.

Nice try but it usually doesn't get released until around 10am Pacific time not midnight.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Bad idea and here is why:

GM will expire. Despite what people claim it does not count as the final version and here is exactly what will happen if you do this and don't upgrade to the regular version (checking in iTunes will tell you its the latest version but it will expire).

You download GM, it explores. You try and upgrade/restore in iTunes and you can't, because iTunes is confused (unless Apple fixed this issue) and thinks you have a current version.

You then have to do a backup and then a DFU restore and restore using the IPSW file and then restore everything back on your phone. It's a giant pain in the ass and takes awhile.

You sure about this? I can't find a single post, thread or website saying that this is/was ever the case with the iOS8 GM or any other GM for that matter...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I wouldn't touch iOS 8 with a 10-foot pole until enough guinea pigs on the forum here say that it doesn't cause any (and I mean ANY) lag/slowdown on the 5s.

We've been running it for almost 2 weeks.
Its fine.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You sure about this? I can't find a single post, thread or website saying that this is/was ever the case with the iOS8 GM or any other GM for that matter...

Positive. I'm the one who had to update not only my iPad but all the test machines at work when this happened because I thought it just rolled over too. iTunes said I was up to date, yet the GM expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.