iOS 8 B3 as daily driver?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by joejoejoe, Jul 7, 2014.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Is iOS 8 B3 usable as a daily driver?

Already seeing lots of posts pop up frustrated at persistent bugs that have not been addressed.

Please refrain from "it's a beta" remarks.

2. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

Although its a beta, it is very frustrating to think in 3 weeks they can't squash imessage bugs. :)

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It is not. The folks who say it is don't mind the problems or they aren't using features / apps that are broken.

4. outphase macrumors 65816

I have a more random resprings with b3 than I did with b2. I will likely be reverting to iOS 7 by the weekend.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I think you should let people use beta 3 for at least a day before asking if it is ready to be used as a daily driver.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Good question. Let's see what the consensus so far is:

Looks like the answer is no.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Switched back to iOS 7.1.2 from b2. While I completely understand what it means to be a beta, I couldn't handle it on my daily driver.

Looking forward to using iOS 8 when it's officially released.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So far it seems more stable than b2, but you have to give it a few hours to be used in different scenarios.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And read all the posts of people reporting issues now. :)

10. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

You know what's funny? I feel as if iOS 8 has far more bugs than iOS 7 did in the beta stages, and iOS 7 was a complete overhaul of iOS. I personally didn't expect the iOS 8 betas to be so buggy.

It could make sense though considering all the new features iOS 8 brings to the table. I'm wondering if they'll have all the kinks out in time for the GM, something they couldn't even accomplish with iOS 7.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm already annoyed that the earphone controls to play/pause songs crashes the music app as I use it at work when Im working and don't want to reach for the phone to change tracks.

I'll give it a few days but will keep my Macbook nearby in case I want to restore.

12. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

iOS 7 was more of a reskin than an overhaul. It *looks* like an overhaul, but when you think about it, it didn't change all that much as far as functionality goes. iOS 8 is changing much more under the hood than 7 did but doesn't look very different. It might actually be the biggest upgrade since the app store became available.

13. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, but thank you!

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, it's great to have them all in one thread for other's to review, but thank you!

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, it's great to have them all in one thread for other's to review, but thank you!

14. gglittle macrumors regular

Aaaannnd why should they? You are assuming that betas progress linearly with each release, progressively improving on the last. That is not how betas work, since a given beta can easily address issues that have nothing to do with prior releases, even regress to prior bugs in some areas. The questions is, are you finding issues with the iMessage areas that are mentioned in the release notes, and if so, have you bugged them to Apple?

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Depends on your usage. For me. The issues I had in beta 2 were addressed. I used 2 as a daily. 3 is even better.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Beta 3 seems a lot better. iMessage works fine for me, no issues so far.

17. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I don't even find anything new in IOS 8 that I use as compared to IOS 7. Is there any feature, you really want? If not, its buggy and frustrating at times.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So far the biggest issues seem to be abysmal battery life and a few random resprings. I'm letting the battery go all the way down and giving it a full recharge so we'll see if that changes anything.

19. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I went back to 7 from beta 2. So far beta 3 is better for me. But we'll see how it goes with a bit more time.

20. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

21. zemaker macrumors regular

Definetly not! It still locks up frequently and apps crash a lot. Then there is the horrible battery life and general slowness od the OS.

On the bright side things are nowhere as bad as beta 1.

22. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Its a beta. Hold for Gold Master. If you have to ask the question.....

23. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I've actually gotten a lot of helpful responses, but thanks

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

So far I had only issues using the AppStore. Searching doesn't always work, but apart from that I haven't experienced any serious issues. Of course, time will tell how stable it is.
    I decided to install the beta 3 to all my iOS devices, since now it can use the legacy iCloud storage..I did the same with Yosemite..

25. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

No problems for me so far that I've come across, give it a go, if you have problems then go back to 7, it doesn't take a lot of your time.