iOS 8 for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jackwins, Jun 15, 2014.

  1. jackwins macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2008
    I want to install IOS8 on my iPhone 5s, but I heavily rely on my phone. Can anyone tell me if IOS8 (beta 1) is stable enough to use as a daily driver?
  2. lovewd macrumors 6502


    Aug 28, 2013
    I wouldn't. I put it on my iPad and it was really bad. So I would avoid putting it on your daily driver. I was going to put it on my iPhone 5s, but I didn't want to risk the instability
  3. 0928001 Suspended

    Sep 15, 2012
    It's a beta intended for developers. I wouldn't use it as a normal user.
  4. nfl46 macrumors 604

    Oct 5, 2008
    iOS 8 for a daily driver?

    I had to downgrade back to 7.1.1. It was too unstable for me. I usually live on the edge and always use the early betas but the one time I really needed my phone, iOS 8 kept restarting. Frustrating. I learned my lesson after many years of early betas. Same goes for Yosemite.

    But, it's up to you. Beta 1 wasn't reliable for me. However, wait on B2 in a couple of days if you plan to upgrade to iOS 8.
  5. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502


    Jun 13, 2013
    I wouldn't recommended it.

    Some of the bugs and random resprings can become very frustrating.

    I would wait for a more stable version of the beta (beta 2 maybe?).
  6. freedevil macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2007
    I've been using IOS 8 as a daily driver and it's good but much slower than 7.1.1. Many of the games still work and the basics such as texting and calling seem fine. Safari crashes at times, the screen goes totally black and doesn't respond once in a while. Other than minor hiccups, I haven't faced anything that would make me downgrade.
  7. jackwins thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2008
    I installed Yosemite last night, and I have ran into a few glitches, but nothing that would keep me from downgrading (knock on wood).

    Thanks for everyones input on IOS8. I think I will wait until at least the beta 2.
  8. Altimax98 macrumors 6502


    Mar 26, 2012
    Lakeland Fl
    I think it really depends on what you do and what you are willing to deal with. I have it installed on my rMini 64GB and did a full iTunes backup, reset and install. I then used iTunes to fully restore the device. I'd say 75% of my apps worked with no issue. Another 10% worked after an uninstall/reinstall (mostly Google apps). The other 5% are nonessential and/or a small glitch like Flick Kick being too large for the screen oddly enough.

    I don't have any beta ending bugs. Occasionally the screen won't turn on immediately, there is a short 5 second delay, and sometimes streaming video cuts out audio. But otherwise its stable for me.

    If you have the time and the Dev account it can't hurt to back the whole thing up and try it out on a weekend. You can always go back. Tomorrow should be the release of Beta 2 so that should hopefully iron out some small bugs.
  9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030


    Sep 22, 2009
    I use it for my daily driver, but I wouldn't advise other people to do it. It's always best to wait for the public release.
  10. Septembersrain Contributor


    Dec 14, 2013
    For me the browser, settings, and certain apps constantly crashed. Everything else seemed okay.
  11. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a


    Jun 6, 2010
    Southern California
  12. dangson macrumors newbie

    Jul 15, 2010
    You should wait until beta 2. I tried used beta 1 and had to downgrade because Springboard was constantly restarting on my iPhone 5s. Even when I wasn't using the phone I would sometimes see it respring. Furthermore, many apps don't work properly.

    I've been powering through early betas for versions 5-7 so I'm used to bugs, but 8 beta 1 was too much for me.
  13. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a


    Jun 11, 2012
    Bugs, crashes and losing data are all risk that come with using beta software. No one in their right mind would use it as a daily driver. Especially the first beta.
  14. ravipiero macrumors regular

    Oct 22, 2013

    Same here. I put it on my iPad Mini because I only use it to watch movie using VLC. It lags often while playing movie and the animation/transition is so slow. So I reverted back to 7.1.1 few days ago.
  15. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

    Southern Dad

    May 23, 2010
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    I have installed iOS 8 on my daily iPhone 5s. However, I have an older iPhone that I keep in my cars glovebox just in case I need to do a quick swap of SIM chip to keep going.
  16. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

    Jun 15, 2013
    Right here
  17. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816


    Apr 22, 2012
    The Left Coast
    Honestly, if you can't stand the thought of crashing apps, apps that don't work period, and the phone itself not turning on for like 10 seconds from sleep, I would not put it on your device

    But for my iPhone 5 it has been running like a dream it has actually enormously improved my battery life. Some apps crash but it doesn't bother me much. I expected and was prepared for WAY worse.
  18. CutterSlade macrumors regular


    Mar 13, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I could resist no more than 5 minutes before downgrading to 7.1.1 because it was unusable in my device. I think you should wait for the public release. There's no point in using a beta unless it adds something you've been waiting for.
  19. jlsm511 macrumors 6502


    Feb 26, 2008
    Its only sort of stable if you restore and set up as a new iPhone. Otherwise if you do an upgrade or restore from backup, performance is horrible. I'd also check if any apps you rely on are broken in b1.
  20. campyguy macrumors 68040

    Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    Wait a bit. I installed B1 on an iPhone 5 and an Air - neither were my daily driver, another iPhone 5. B1 isn't ready for prime time. Wait until B2 comes out AND you read more here on these forums.
  21. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 9, 2012
    Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
    Wait fot beta 2 and see that thats like. I am using it daily since release and its not so bad. A few crashes here and there. IMO more stable then iOS 7 beta at release.
  22. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

    Mar 18, 2012
    nope hold out until beta 5 or GM.
  23. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

    Nov 10, 2011
    For this beta? Absolutely not. I had to roll back to 7.1.1 because it took forever for my home button to respond and it started crashing/re-springing almost every time that I unlocked my phone. I am happy to be back on 7.1.1 for time being.
  24. JohnsonK macrumors regular

    Mar 6, 2014
    If you depend heavily on your phone you should instead wait until public release
  25. AlliFlowers Contributor


    Jan 1, 2011
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    If you're not a developer, don't do it. Period. You'll be frustrated by the number of apps that don't work at all or only work sometimes on this beta.

Share This Page