iOS 8 GM iPad Air performance

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jonnyb098, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Noticing lots of weirdness with the GM on an iPad Air as far as performance. While certain things are buttery smooth, others are very choppy. Bringing up the keyboard in Safari or spotlight is a choppy mess. Control center has a slight lag now and is choppy as well. After a year I figured Apple woud be able to make these things smooth on the latest devices.

I can tell all of this is strictly due to the blurring effect on the keyboard, etc. Very frustrating.

Anyone else notice any other bugs on the Air??

2. fillilutten macrumors member

Havent noticed anything like that on my iPad Air. Run a classic "Reset all settings" and see how things work out for ya.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Has been smooth for me although I did notice a slight lag in the animation of the icons when moving across screens. That seems to have cleared up after waiting a little while after install.

4. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

I noticed on my ipad air as well, it seems slower and almost close to ios7 (not 7.1), keyboard artefacts when using split keyboard as well, animations lag when going to app switcher.

Also on my ipad in the addressbook, every contact appers to have imesage, any name i type in messages, it turns to blue with a wheel next to it. Only after some time it turn to red (i don't have ios8 on my production iphone)
    This was done instantly in ios 7.1.2 ...

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

It's definitely slower and lags compared to 7.1.2

Using iPad Air is not a joy anymore.

6. robwilson macrumors member

IPAD Air

I upgraded mine to the IOS 8 GM last night and it is a lot smoother....love it. I see not issues at all.

7. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

I am back on 7.1.2 already, there are no apps to take advantage of ios8 anyway

8. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

My r mini is laggy too, check this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuzQLx_Kp4&list=UU8iRwwqR5foheeJooWQP69Q

Also app store lags when you change the orientation.

9. jonnyb098, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yeah I may do the same tonight when I get home. Unfortunately they will never fix any animation lags since they have been there since day one of iOS 7. They got a little smoother in 7.1 but there is absolutely zero reason an iPad Air should have any stutter AT ALL. It's a shame that iOS 8 makes certain things better but others worse. All this talk about metal and all the new technologies in iOS 8 and they can't get this transparent blurring effect to run smoothly in all apps like safari. Open the new bookmarks side panel and then tap the URL bar. The keyboard stutters like crazy. Bringing up multitasking wither with a double click or the gesture also has a noticeable delay.

Also I'm noticing that the icloud photo updating doesn't work right at all. I can't favorite or edit certain photos on my iPad or iPhone without it asking me to make a duplicate.

10. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Just try to split the keyboard with the "new tab" thing in safari, there are two layers of blurr there, the thing just feels like my old ipad 1

11. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Its running perfect on mine, but I didn't update. I did a clean install.

12. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I am believing that the battery life on my Air is noticeably better. Just 1/2 day use.

But it now stutters like any Android tablet.

This stuttering should not be there on 1 year older product. :mad:

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did you upgrade, or restore? Apple suggested Restoring when upgrading from iOS 8 betas for the best experience.

14. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Works great on my Air with just a simple update...Been doing that since Beta 1 and the GM is significantly smoother/more fluid than the early betas.

Very pleased overall.

15. alezano macrumors member

Sadly i have all the problems that you already pointed out. I cant believe that this is the final version, it feels like a beta in comparison. Pinch to close has often a delay, safari scroll is choppy and the keyboard lags as hell in too many situations. Ipad air is my first ipad, but from day 1 it just didnt seem a premium product. I remember the ipad 4 being buttery smooth in iOS 6, those times are gone :(

Edit: did a clean install and restored from iCloud backup

16. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yes, sadly all the stuttering and buttery smoothness has been gone on iPad since iOS 7 and its all due to the damn blurring effect. If you turn on "reduce transparency" it makes everything smooth but its ugly as hell.

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have an iPad Air, and the animations/everything has been "buttery smooth" both on iOS 7 and iOS 8.

18. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Restored as new.

19. alezano macrumors member

Just try to rotate the device with keyboard on screen, and you will be pretty disappointed.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I will try when I get home, but even so, I don't think I have ever rotated the screen while the keyboard was active, so if there is an issue, it's unlikely to ever bother me.

Submit a bug report for it, though, to make sure Apple is aware of the issue.

21. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Holy cow, my iPad Air rebooted itself during Safari browsing. I might switch back to iOS 7.1 in 2 days

22. SeenJeen macrumors regular

It's jittery on my retina mini running 7.1.2...

23. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

If Apple isnt aware of the issue then they obviously don't use the products they engineer for. They know about all this but as long as it "works" they don't care.

The iPad has been very neglected in certain areas, this is one of them. The music app is another.

24. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

The reason why iOS development for iPad is neglected right now is simple: iPad sales continue to slow, and now Apple sells 400% more iPhones than iPads. Since the major iOS 7 redesign, Apple hasn't used many resources to improve or differentiate the iOS experience on iPad.

25. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Here, i made a video, can you guys confirm the same lag in animations ?

http://youtu.be/fTTKYHfAhOA

It's disappointing really, i know "the latest generation" is not that correct since the air was released a year ago, but since there is no new ipad yet, it's on the spot.

Thank you.