Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
What is holding people back now, that this app will provide? Will Siri "sigh" when you pull up to a McDonald's drive through?

Set an exercise schedule, drive less, take the stairs. Don't eat garbage, eat less meat. Does it take an app to remind you of this? It's common sense.

:confused:

Thank you. Someone else who isn't stubborn to the point of ignorance. Yes this will sell because it makes people's willingness to take better care of themselves easier, but it is not going to succeed in keeping people on this attempt at being healthier. It's just like any other band/watch/gadget that does the same things. Having it "all in one place" doesn't make it more effective. You people are so blind

Imagine this-

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
If this app needs to constantly use location services, you can bet it will eat your battery quickly.
That's the drawback of the currently AVAILABLE apps that do the SAME EXACT thing.

Another Apple steals someone else's innovation but since it's not patented, it's OK for them to do so.

Apple is becoming more like Microsoft of the 90's everyday.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
If you need lots of new features for the sake of features Samsung will have you covered in a few weeks.

----------

What if this app is a companion to some Apple designed wearable device?

Samsung is really in your head aren't they? Can you go one day without posting about them?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you. Someone else who isn't stubborn to the point of ignorance. Yes this will sell because it makes people's willingness to take better care of themselves easier, but it is not going to succeed in keeping people on this attempt at being healthier. It's just like any other band/watch/gadget that does the same things. Having it "all in one place" doesn't make it more effective. You people are so blind
And if it actually helps and even succeeds for some, if not even quite a few, what's the downside again?

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
If this app needs to constantly use location services, you can bet it will eat your battery quickly.
That's the drawback of the currently AVAILABLE apps that do the SAME EXACT thing.

Another Apple steals someone else's innovation but since it's not patented, it's OK for them to do so.

Apple is becoming more like Microsoft of the 90's everyday.

Nah.

Ever used Strava? I get up to the minute segment updates, voice updates, heart rate via BT-LE, mapping, leader board etc.

M7 is a treat for this. I get 12+ hours in this mode. But would never ride my bike more than 4 hours.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I have to expect some backlash for my harsh comments hah. Of course there will be many who can benefit from this product, and obviously the market is heading in this direction anyway, so it's not like it has been wrongly assessed...I just happen to stand up for my opinions and the side which they take.

Oh and by the way, in regard to "educating myself" - I am fairly educated about the subject. Just because you happen to need this product does not mean everyone else should also. If you cannot regulate your own life by yourself, then you probably need to do some "educating" yourself. If you were to "educate" yourself about food and nutrition you would know how to live a healthy life, and wouldn't need any medication. This is, assuming you don't have any diseases - which by the way obesity isn't one of (no matter what the AMA says).

That shot isn't necessarily meant for you (although meant to tickle), but my point is that while some may simply use it as a tool to better manage their life, it's not going to sway any of the people who don't care enough to continue that lifestyle, and therefore I think it is a wasted market.

TL;DR - Many people may buy the smart watch looking transform their lives --> Many people will stop using the smart watch for fitness several months into owning it.

Right, that is a different story then. :)
Anyway, I don't actually need it but I would find a use of it. Yes, I know how to eat healthy etc. but having something to track your pulse for example is very handy. So if you are doing fat burn you have to reach certain bpm and same goes for cardio etc. For effective training you do need to know your pulse. My gf has one but I don't want to constantly borrow hers and if there is a device that does more then I will get it. Right now I'm waiting to see what they will come up with.

And no, I don't use any medication except vitamins and some supplements for better performance. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
What data are you basing this claim on? While I agree that Apple should work on improving on iOS 7, there's nothing to suggest that mobile health is not a growing market.

Given the amount of vendors that were at this years CES, it is growing and it is getting pretty big. The health section for mobile devices and the like almost made up one entire hall. I would say there were easily a hundred or so vendors showing off their mobile devices/apps/heart rate monitors etc. This year was twice the size as last years.

Scientific no, but an observation.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Imagine this- You try a new diet and exercise regimen, and you enter in the data into healthbook. It tells you the your calorie intake and how many calories you burn, and it keeps a log of everything. You can keep track of how much weight you lose, calorie intake, calories burned, workout regimens, etc. in one app and make adjustments if necessary.

Predicting your next argument: "you don't need an app to do this, you can keep track in real life" :rolleyes:

An app would make it easier, especially for people with organizational issues like myself, but that's a different story.

Easier to keep track, yes.

Not easier to exert self control or create good habits. That is the challenge. Keeping track of calories serves little purpose if someone sticks to a healthy lifestyle for 3 whole days.

:rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Easier to keep track, yes.

Not easier to exert self control or create good habits. That is the challenge. Keeping track of calories serves little purpose if someone sticks to a healthy lifestyle for 3 whole days.

:rolleyes:
But even if that helps some in some little way, and perhaps some in some big way, again, what's the problem there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.