iOS 8, more like the alpha version

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by FatPuppy, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Is it just me or this beta is not a beta? It feels like an alpha version, everything crashes.

2. Sadredas macrumors newbie

No, it's the first beta, other betas will fix the crashes. There can be up to 7 betas before public release.

3. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

oh and the Betas are not supposed to crash?

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Yeah but this beta crashes every f. time

5. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

Great! It means it is a reproducible bug. Remember to report it to Apple.

6. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Have you tried iOS 7 beta 1? It did crash quite a lot and battery life was very bad (and device overheating all time)

I am not testing iOS 8 betas this year.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is why Apple recommend the developers use a test phone and not their everyday phone. I do think iOS8 is a bit more buggier then prior versions but I don't know first hand. I avoid putting iOS betas on my phones as a matter of policy. They are usually pretty buggy and I need my phone for work - having it crash all the time would be no good for me.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Funny, hardly crashes at all for me. Settings is the only Apple app that crashes.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but that shouldn't diminish the frustration that others feel, as they are experiencing more instability.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I understand that, but this is a beta after all, and is expected to crash. If users can't accept that, they probably shouldn't be running a beta.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree completely, and that's why I avoid it. I do think some betas are more stable then others and based on my unscientific research, this one seems a bit less stable then prior versions.

Beta 1, is beta 1, and there's lots of rough edges. I've never understood people who rush out to install a beta on a phone that they use everyday - to each his own, but its not something I'm willing :)

12. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I am using it on my r mini and I use that bug report all the time. My logic is that more people use a beta, it is much easier for apple to fix the bugs.

13. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

If you are a developer or at least know the risk of running a beta you wouldn't be complaining like this. You could use the bug report tool to report it. Until GM Apple do not recommend betas for day to day use.

14. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i started out testing on my 5s, iPad, and 10.10 on the new iMac. I have since taken it off my daily 5s cause the instability outweighed the testing. I will pick back up iPhone testing hopefully next beta until then i got the iPad going.

So yes i agree it is to unstable (for me) to really run it.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

16. iamangeln macrumors regular

iamangeln

This Beta hardly ever crashes for me, tbh the only app that gives me most of my issues is the photos app, its a bit buggy, but still nothing major

17. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I think people have got far too used to the Google definition of Beta.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think this beta is pretty stable. Enough so that I've been running it on my daily use device. The main issues I have are with 3rd party apps that have of course not yet been updated.

Your question is like asking, is it just me or is this filtered water, water? It taste like unfiltered water, which is still... water.

19. sualpine, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  20. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's not a beta, it's a Developer Preview. So yes, equivalent to Alpha.

21. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Works pretty darn good for me using it 24/7. Rare crashes, few reproducible bugs but nothing that bad. Clearly the same or better build quality than prior Beta 1s. Overall very impressed.

22. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Mine rarely crashes and i'm trying it on an iPod Touch 5. Just deal with it until they release a beta 2 or further

23. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

Not if you don't properly report bugs, otherwise it just creates more work for Apple. Just don't install it if you don't consider yourself a developer and know how to proceed as required. The idea is to help not to preview it.

Many applications haven't been updated to work with the new/modified areas iOS 8 has therefore some will definitely experience crashes until they are updated properly.

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The version before this one was an alpha version, so it makes sense if this feels like it.

25. batting1000 macrumors 604

Agreed. I thought this to myself earlier, but decided against posting it. Haha