iOS 8, more like the alpha version

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Is it just me or this beta is not a beta? It feels like an alpha version, everything crashes.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
This is why Apple recommend the developers use a test phone and not their everyday phone. I do think iOS8 is a bit more buggier then prior versions but I don't know first hand. I avoid putting iOS betas on my phones as a matter of policy. They are usually pretty buggy and I need my phone for work - having it crash all the time would be no good for me.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Perhaps, but that shouldn't diminish the frustration that others feel, as they are experiencing more instability.
I understand that, but this is a beta after all, and is expected to crash. If users can't accept that, they probably shouldn't be running a beta.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I understand that, but this is a beta after all, and is expected to crash. If users can't accept that, they probably shouldn't be running a beta.
I agree completely, and that's why I avoid it. I do think some betas are more stable then others and based on my unscientific research, this one seems a bit less stable then prior versions.

Beta 1, is beta 1, and there's lots of rough edges. I've never understood people who rush out to install a beta on a phone that they use everyday - to each his own, but its not something I'm willing :)

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I am using it on my r mini and I use that bug report all the time. My logic is that more people use a beta, it is much easier for apple to fix the bugs.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i started out testing on my 5s, iPad, and 10.10 on the new iMac. I have since taken it off my daily 5s cause the instability outweighed the testing. I will pick back up iPhone testing hopefully next beta until then i got the iPad going.

So yes i agree it is to unstable (for me) to really run it.

iamangeln

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
This Beta hardly ever crashes for me, tbh the only app that gives me most of my issues is the photos app, its a bit buggy, but still nothing major

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Is it just me or this beta is not a beta? It feels like an alpha version, everything crashes.
I think this beta is pretty stable. Enough so that I've been running it on my daily use device. The main issues I have are with 3rd party apps that have of course not yet been updated.

Your question is like asking, is it just me or is this filtered water, water? It taste like unfiltered water, which is still... water.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
It's not a beta, it's a Developer Preview. So yes, equivalent to Alpha.
Works pretty darn good for me using it 24/7. Rare crashes, few reproducible bugs but nothing that bad. Clearly the same or better build quality than prior Beta 1s. Overall very impressed.

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I am using it on my r mini and I use that bug report all the time. My logic is that more people use a beta, it is much easier for apple to fix the bugs.
Not if you don't properly report bugs, otherwise it just creates more work for Apple. Just don't install it if you don't consider yourself a developer and know how to proceed as required. The idea is to help not to preview it.

Many applications haven't been updated to work with the new/modified areas iOS 8 has therefore some will definitely experience crashes until they are updated properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.