Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
For non-square album art, Apple should revert to pre-iOS 7.0.4 where the white fillers would be the wallpaper. The white blanks really stand out. Also the new coverflow seems to have issues with loading albums, previously it never lags like it does now (iOS 7.1 improved this a bit though).

Last edited:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think it should be more streamlined like the new SoundCloud app. While many are frustrated with the removal of certain features (comments, for example) there's something so clean, minimal, and polished about it. Swipe the entire screen (or album art) to go forward or back. Keep the scrubber. Obviously I don't want a replica, but the music app needs a revision. And I never thought I'd say it but bring back the music note. WhiteOS 7 needs to go. The all white screen with the text of the artist/track looks terrible.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I think it should be more streamlined like the new SoundCloud app. While many are frustrated with the removal of certain features (comments, for example) there's something so clean, minimal, and polished about it. Swipe the entire screen (or album art) to go forward or back. Keep the scrubber. Obviously I don't want a replica, but the music app needs a revision. And I never thought I'd say it but bring back the music note. WhiteOS 7 needs to go. The all white screen with the text of the artist/track looks terrible.

The 'Now Playing' screen should be revamped to resemble the Remote app version because it's ****** beautiful. 'Up Next' is a no-brainer.

But the artist view absolutely needs to be restored to its iOS 6 functionality. The thumbnails for artist images and album covers should be reduced in order to view more items per screen.

I would like them separate the iTunes Radio into an individual app (which was rumored for iOS 8 but didn't happen).

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
The 'Now Playing' screen should be revamped to resemble the Remote app version because it's ****** beautiful. 'Up Next' is a no-brainer.

But the artist view absolutely needs to be restored to its iOS 6 functionality. The thumbnails for artist images and album covers should be reduced in order to view more items per screen.

I would like them separate the iTunes Radio into an individual app (which was rumored for iOS 8 but didn't happen).

Honestly I've given up waiting for Apple to make a decent music app. Why they didn't add Up Next when itunes 11 and the remote app came out beats me.

I use Ecoute now. Has everything the stock app is missing.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I gave up on Apple's QA team. They don't read my stuff.

I told them I prefered the navigation structure from iOS 6 and I wanted it brought back as Artists > Albums > Songs, instead of Artists > Albums and Songs.

They're asking me if this issue is still present in iOS8 Beta 5 and are asking for crash logs, test cases, etc. I answer that it's still present and I don't have any crash log to provide because there is no crash. They ask for it again, still for Beta 5. Yes I posted it under Feature/Enhancement request.

They've been annoying me for so many bug reports so far it's amazing. There's someone to fire. I give up.

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
I need some help. Not sure if this is a beta 5 issue or me just not knowing what I did, but my stock music app is all messed up.

Under music>playlists all that shows up is the search bar at the top and then directly beneath I have Genius Playlist, New Playlist and Purchased.

What happened to all my playlists I created. The music is there as I can search for and find it, but my created playlists are hiding somewhere. I've never had this issue. Any ideas??

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
I need some help. Not sure if this is a beta 5 issue or me just not knowing what I did, but my stock music app is all messed up.

Under music>playlists all that shows up is the search bar at the top and then directly beneath I have Genius Playlist, New Playlist and Purchased.

What happened to all my playlists I created. The music is there as I can search for and find it, but my created playlists are hiding somewhere. I've never had this issue. Any ideas??

All my playlists have disappeared on my iPhone 5s but are still there on my iPad air and both are set to copy all music and all playlists to them

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My biggest issue is that the tracks don't show up on my phone or iPad via iCloud in the order I have them arranged in iTunes. So for example I have a Pink Floyd album set up by track number, they're randomly aligned on my iPhone and iPad.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

iTunes Radio will get separated during the announcement. This year will also focus a lot on music and iPods as well as the iPhone like in 2012. Just because it isnt there yet means nothing. There are sure to be a list of features that the public wont see till the announcement with the new iPhones and iPods.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Honestly I've given up waiting for Apple to make a decent music app. Why they didn't add Up Next when itunes 11 and the remote app came out beats me.

I use Ecoute now. Has everything the stock app is missing.

While I don't mind the stock music app, it does suck compared to iOS 6. I hate the album view.

I just spent the $2 on Ecoute to try it out. Thanks for the recommend.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
While I don't mind the stock music app, it does suck compared to iOS 6. I hate the album view.

I just spent the $2 on Ecoute to try it out. Thanks for the recommend.

Yeah big fan of Ecoute. Not until they overhaul the stock music app will I be going back.

silversurfer91

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
I too hope the music app gets revamped soon....for a company that got its success based on their intuitive music "app" gui's...theirs is currently one of the worst out there...I actually started using rdio and spotify instead because I got so frustrated with the recent changes made to the native music app

GWLBE

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
When you play Music Videos in the landscape mode the art wall shows up. So basically you can only watch in portrait mode. Big rant on the Apple Discussion forum. And no you cannot create a playlist of Music Videos and play in in landscape mode. The video player will only play on vid at a time.

merkava

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Another vote for Ecoute: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ecoute-powerful-music-player/id536882653?mt=8

The views are just so much better, e.g. four albums vs twelve:

fb3GX8.jpg

It also plays podcasts from the iTunes library - unlike dedicated podcast apps which have their own database of downloads.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
So Apple fixed the lock screen album art bug where there would be white space on non square album art. They finally listened. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410397173.411164.jpg

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I missed my iOS8 release target, but I have been working on another 3rd party music app that addresses most of the concerns listed in this thread. It's called Cesium, and it is going in to Beta shortly.

Cheers,
Mike

IMG_0232_zps4f8517a5.png

IMG_0228_zpsccd42e83.png

IMG_0229_zpsa400bd41.png

IMG_0233_zpsa8ea011f.png

IMG_0231_zpsc0c9cf44.png

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I missed my iOS8 release target, but I have been working on another 3rd party music app that addresses most of the concerns listed in this thread. It's called Cesium, and it is going in to Beta shortly.

Cheers,
Mike

That looks really great! Seems like the iOS 7 blended with iOS 6. I will be looking forward to a launch on this one.

Just one crit: Calling the app 'Cesium' is annoying. Why not just something like 'Music' or with the word Music in it? It's a personal preference, but I always found simple music apps with names like Ecoute or Lagu to be rather dorky :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.