iOS 8 on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Casstiel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Casstiel macrumors member

What are your experience of iOS 8 on the iPad 3?

I'm quite surprised by how choppy the animations often are when quitting apps. Even worse, every time I double press the home button, it takes a loooooot longer for the app switcher to show, even if I'm on the home screen.

The Messages app is surprisingly buggy, in which moving the keyboard to the middle of the screen causes the displayed messages to always be slightly below the keyboard. It also crashes every time I try to send a video.

I also experienced this problem which I posted about: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19752986

iOS 8 had a release date set in stone, but it needed more development and testing before release.

2. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

Ipad 3 user here too. Not too fond of it.
    iOS 7 already slowed it down quite a bit, this version even a bit more.
    The home button double press is slow, although it wasn't fast to begin with.

What I find most annoying is switching between languages on the keyboard.
    I use Dutch and English, and tapping the globe key once can switch it, but tapping it again will show a recently used something.mand the whole keyboard is gone. I have to then press on a globe key again to get a keyboard.

Also the way Safari works with tabs now is weird, and slow.
    I need to scroll up to see tabs, but if I want to stay on a specific location on a site, and check another tab, I have to move up quickly to see the tabs (thus loosing the location I wanted to stay at on the page).
    Scrolling up slowly doesn't show the tabs. That makes sense, but is annoying.
    And afk I know there is no way to permanently show tabs.

Closing the final tab requires me to tap the upper right button to show all tabs, which you can only see by scrolling up again, and then close it in the tabs overview screen. Which is not too fast.

I thought about reverting back to iOS 7, but sadly I cnt now because Apple already took the digital signing off :(
    Not enjoying iOS 8 a lot so far.

3. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

The only worse thing about iOS 8 on iPads is that piece of turd called Safari. The way it has regressed is mind boggling.

I can't switch between tabs with ease. Such a basic thing for a browser. It makes sense to hide the address and tab bar on iPhone Safari. But on iPads, where we have ample space, Apple went out of their way to make the experience third class.

Actually even turd feels like gold when compared to Safari on iOS 8. :mad:

Glad I stayed back on 7.1.2. Don't miss a thing and enjoy the smoothness of iPad Air.

4. agaskew macrumors 6502

iPad3 user here too. iOS8 was choppy when scrolling, Safari crashed repeatedly and access to the task switcher was laughably slow.

Now reverted to iOS7.

5. Jalu macrumors member

The tab bar in Safari also shows when the top status bar is tapped.

6. robkat macrumors member

robkat

No problems

Running IOS 8 on iPad Air and have not encountered any problems at all.

7. cre8or macrumors newbie

They added an Emoji keyboard in iOSh8, all the different smiley icons. I also have two languages and the Emoji keyboard was popping up because it was enabled by default in iOS8 as a third language choice. Maybe there is some issue with Emoji on your device. Check Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards. Remove Emoji if it's there, this is what I did.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The iPad 3 really never should've shipped. It only shipped, because the iPad 4 components weren't ready in time for the spring 2012 release schedule. As soon as the 4 _was_ ready, it was released(later that summer).
    I had a 3 and was disappointed in the performance. It was as if the CPU was pushing a sweat, simply to power the Retina Display, meaning that everything was choppy. The previous iPad 2 was much smoother. I sold the 3 as soon as the iPad Mini was released.
    The iPad 3 was heavier than the iPad 2, and took twice as long to charge!

9. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

Thanks for that! Removed that keyboard.
    Didn't realize it was a separate keyboard, makes sense now.

----------

Good to know. Thanks!

10. Casstiel thread starter macrumors member

I know, right? Look at the attached screenshot of Geekbench results, and see how the iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 compares.

Attached Files:

11. Jr. Pac macrumors member

Mine ran decently on 8.0 (pretty much identical to 7.1.2 aside from a few bugs) but 8.0.2 seems to be really slowing it down. :/
    Switching apps is slow and the animation is stuttery.