iOS 8 on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dj9928, Sep 17, 2014.

1. dj9928 macrumors member

What does iOS8 run like on the ip5? I have it downloaded and am just ready to hit install but am hearing some bad reports about slowness.

2. Yun0, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

runs well on mine

tried every beta since beta 1 including gm (final), its fine even back in beta 1. i have background refresh off for all apps & had so as well on ios 7 so thats an equal comparison, if ur the type to leave a bunch of stuff on, then expect some sort of slowdown especially draining battery, on ANY phone

3. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Some people said that iOS 7 was fine on the 4S when it came out. However, as time went on and more people updated (and reported) how their device was doing, the fact is that iOS 7 slowed things down considerably.

Was just on Howard Forums and one user reported a noticeable lag and sluggishness. For me, 7.1.2 was the last update my 5 will have. I've jailbroken it as well so my device doesn't download the OTA update.

4. Nsimmons03 macrumors newbie

Runs fine on mine except for the wifi seems slower for some reason.

5. soulsyphon macrumors regular

i got iphone 5 32gb, runs fine on mine. but i have a lot of things turned off... app refresh... location services, ads, notifications... etc

6. 2IS macrumors 68030

Same experience here. Runs, but it's slower than iOS 7, not WAY slower, but I notice it.

7. Abba 701 macrumors regular

Pretty good.But an app I like doesn't work on iOS 8.But I'm general not to bad.

8. kolax macrumors G3

It's a lot more laggy. Really disappointed that Apple does this.

9. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

iOS 8 works absolutely fine on my iPhone 5.
    No lag to speak of or anything.

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

There is a the slightest bit more lag, and very occasional jerkiness but works very well for a 2nd iOS update. Battery life sucks though!

11. Rakeshnara macrumors newbie

12. Nosrettap macrumors member

I'm running iOS 8 on an iPhone 5 and I would describe it as "moderately laggy"

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

No noticeable lag here.

Safari doesn't crash. The only issue seems to be with the new keyboards but that will no doubt be fixed soon.

14. ATC macrumors 6502a

I read another thread that indicated major lag issues on 4S and a few posts from iP5 users said the same, which really had me worried.

I later broke down and downloaded and installed iOS8 OTA update on my 5 and I have to say, 6 hours into using it, it's been great so far. No lag whatsoever on my 5, everything is running smooth here.

Only one thing, the Engadget app is now broken. It loads the summary list articles fine but if you click on any individual article to read it just sits there with a spinning gear indefinitely. Tried using wifi, LTE and 3G. I think the app needs fixing.

15. Rakeshnara macrumors newbie

16. kolax macrumors G3

The more I use it, the more the lag is tolerable, it's not like iOS 6 on the iPhone 3G. I hope Apple still makes efforts in the future to optimise iOS 8 for older devices. They brag about their product support, so they should be bloody well doing it!

Few applications I have don't show badge numbers yet, but I guess that's the developers to fix.

17. VibePT macrumors newbie

It's terrible to use the keyboard in safari.

You start to write and then you have to wait for the letters to catch up. Just like ios 7 In iPhone 4.

18. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

if u need a reminder, look at android & their fragmented platform with 50,000 different devices it must be a train wreck maintaining android & bug fixing, & the aweful "updates" that are carrier dependent & FULL of the carrier's bloatware, then all the malware/viruses out there with their mouths open with android written on their teeth.

as a retweet i saw earlier said: "As of tonight, my iPhone 4 is no longer supported. It's been 4 years. Oh well, better than the 4 days of support on Android lol."

19. kolax macrumors G3

Just because Android is bad, doesn't make it an excuse for Apple seeing as they have a very small selection of phones to support and they make the hardware too! iOS 8 is optimised for the new iPhones, and it seems like they've not made much effort, as usual, to optimise it for older phones.

If Apple struggles to optimise for older phones, maybe they shouldn't bother. I'd rather my iPhone 5 ran iOS 7 smoothly than more laggy with iOS 8. But there's no choice for the users. You see an update, there's no 'warning: this may cause your phone to become sluggish'. Apple recommends you keep your phone up to date too!

20. Arndroid macrumors 6502a

Arndroid

Runs good on mine

----------

Yeah but it does not run more laggy for iPhone 5 owners.

21. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I have an old iPhone 5 so I thought I would test iOS 8 on it before I upgrade my 5s. I normally do a clean install, but I just did an upgrade last night to save time. The phone hung several times, apps crashed and performance was not great. I restarted the phone and it seems a little better although something is killing the battery as it's draining very fast. I'm not sure what it can be as I have hardly any apps on the old phone.

I think I will do a clean install which is always my preferred method for a new version of iOS.

In short, the upgrade has been terrible and the once steady battery life has been shot to pieces.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

iOS 8 runs worse than iOS 7. Every now and then, the animation of going back to the home screen is choppy.

iOS 8 is not buttery smooth. :(

23. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

......my iPad 2 does this in iOS 7 - how the hell is it gonna cope with iOS 8?!:eek:

24. Shuri macrumors 6502

OTA update. In the very beginning it was a little bit laggy, but that wore of fast. Swype tends to need too long to load sometimes... well, that's not iOS 8 problem I guess.

Battery life seems to be awesome, almost 1 hours 45 minutes usage and only 8% down :eek: (And it's not a little music in the background usage, it's a new OS, I play a lot with it ;) )
    Will report if this trend goes on. :) Especially when I leave my wifi, because on 3G the 5's battery is worst..

25. Thoir macrumors member

No Apple Experience:

I have a horrible experience on my iPhone 5.

Read also: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1781398

Glitsy, slow, not smooth, not light.
    Typing, scrolling, transitions. It is a bad update for me.

I did a restore. And an install. But have put a backup back. Because, I am still an iPhone user. I am not a new user. So I want the back up restored.

----------

How is your scrolling?
    Specially in a Mail Message or in Safari on a page?

Curious, because with scrolling there is no butter and its stuttering.