Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Animated_PNG_example_bouncing_beach_ball.png
With the release of iOS 8, Safari has gained the ability to display Animated PNGs (APNGs). Originally proposed in 2004 as a replacement to animated GIF images, APNGs offers more color and transparency support over GIFs.
The Animated Portable Network Graphics (APNG) file format is a non-standard extension to the Portable Network Graphics (PNG) specification. It allows for animated PNG files that work similarly to animated GIF files, while supporting 24-bit images and 8-bit transparency not available for GIFs. It also retains backward compatibility with non-animated PNG files.
The APNG specification, however, was rejected by the PNG group in 2007, so support for the format has been rather limited. In fact, the format has been declared dead due to the lack of official adoption. Firefox was the only major browser that provided standard support for APNG, until iOS 8.

The beach ball image in this article is animated when viewed in iOS 8 or Firefox. Edit: and OS X Yosemite.

Thanks Parasprite

Article Link: iOS 8 Safari Supports Animated PNG Images

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Finally. This is one of the few Firefox features I always wanted in Safari. Edit: I'm just annoyed that iOS, as usual, got its standards updated before OS X did.

Last edited:

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Strange that they went for a format that was abandoned by its creator instead of something like WebP which is actively maintained.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Money was spent on stupid gifs and not on quality infrastructure #bendgate

I was being a little sarcastic lol, although this is cool though.

bendgate isn't a issue, my iPhone 6 holding up perfectly fine over here and its the best smartphone I ever used .

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Strange that they went for a format that was abandoned by its creator instead of something like WebP which is actively maintained.

(A)PNG has a bit of a leg up considering it has a large user base already, is easily recognizable, and is widely supported. Even if the browser can't animate the file, it will automatically fall back to just displaying the first frame.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Although Preview on Yosemite only shows the first frame, it does show info for the delay time for the next frame.
(A)PNG has a bit of a leg up considering it has a large user base already, is easily recognizable, and is widely supported. Even if the browser can't animate the file, it will automatically fall back to just displaying the first frame.
And with Apple supporting the format, I wouldn't be surprised if the PNG group re-evaluated the APNG addition.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Money was spent on stupid gifs and not on quality infrastructure #bendgate

Unless, of course, the person they hired do implement this also did the structural analysis of the iPhone 6?

It's a different budget - they didn't spend money on this 'rather than' making the phone stronger.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Finally! This is going to be great. Can't wait for the online GIF repositories to start supporting it, as well.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm sad that the beach ball doesn't bounce in the articles sidebar on the front page.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Good thing they spent all their time getting the bugs out of iOS 8 so that they could focus on gems like this.

Animated PNGs > functioning wifi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.