iOS 8 Safe yet???

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
I have an iPhone 5s and I'm afraid to download iOS 8.0.2... How is it? Are there any bugs left?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd probably be afraid of downloading 8.2 as well given that it's note even in its beta stage yet. ;)

eattherich

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Berlin
I don't see what all the fuss is about. There are bugs but there's nothing that's completely broken like it might be in a beta (that a lot of people on here run on their primary phone for months leading up to a release anyway).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You know what I meant....
Well, if it's about 8.0.2 then there are certainly a number of threads talking about it and people's experience with it (with most being positive, although of course some having some issues here and there, mostly still those remaining from 8.0).

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
itd be interesting to see their users' reactions if :apple: started an alpha test program..hmm..:cool:
LMAO we are currently on alpha program testing 8.0.2

8.1 will be beta
8.2 will be final
8.3 will be SP1

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
8.0.2 is not the massive bugfix iOS8 needs. Basically it's 8.0.1, which added the health app and made a few bugfixes, but without the bug in 8.0.1 that disabled some iPhone 6's.

8.0 works passably on my iPhone5, if I ignore the keyboard issues in the Messages app. Sometimes the keyboard doesn't appear, especially if I go to Messages immediately after unlocking the phone; other times, the keyboard is there and senses input, but the text box on the screen stays blank. Force-quitting and restarting the app fixes it (until the next time). Safari is slower than in iOS7, but not terribly so.

8.0 on my iPad Air was a sluggish blob, and Safari was really messed up from bugs and the UI changes. I reverted to iOS7 while Apple still allowed it.

So, if you really NEED the health app, then upgrade, I guess. Remember that some features in iOS8 aren't going to be turned on until Yosemite is released next month.

indianavtx

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Not a single problem on my 5S and I've ran iOS 8 since day 1. Battery right now is 82% and has been off charge since 4:30 this morning with both wifi and Bluetooth on all day long.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Worked fine for me since 8.0. 8.0.2 fixed the minor lagging I was getting, and any app crashes occurred with apps that already crashed frequently with iOS 7.1.2. No Safari issues, no noticeable changes in battery life, no wi-fi issues.

Before starting, make sure you have a full backup of your phone -- preferably a local one, especially if your internet service is not fast or you have data caps. I also prefer doing the update with a wired connection to iTunes. That way, you can let iTunes download the iOS update file in the background, and then do the installation when you're ready.

Another step that I usually take is to restore the phone to factory settings before installing the iOS update. This wipes the phone clean, and purges any junk data that might have piled up in your "Other" directory. After installing iOS, then I will restore the data, apps, and settings from the backup. Not as convenient, or fast, but it works for me.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Well, if it's about 8.0.2 then there are certainly a number of threads talking about it and people's experience with it (with most being positive, although of course some having some issues here and there, mostly still those remaining from 8.0).
This 8.0.2 is a bit of a punt in the dark really. It bricked my iPad Air, but the good news is I've got a new one on 7.1.1 and it works great. Going to stay
off any version of 8 until I'm sure wifi bugs/incompatibilities or whatever are
we'll and truly fixed.

My answer to you is in Clint's immortal words, 'are you feeling lucky today'!

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I have an iPhone 5s and I'm afraid to download iOS 8.2... How is it? Are there any bugs left?
Of course there are bugs. There are always bugs. There always will be.

On the other hand, my 4s and my iPad mini have been great on 8.0. One of my better upgrade experiences.

A.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This 8.0.2 is a bit of a punt in the dark really. It bricked my iPad Air, but the good news is I've got a new one on 7.1.1 and it works great. Going to stay
off any version of 8 until I'm sure wifi bugs/incompatibilities or whatever are
we'll and truly fixed.

My answer to you is in Clint's immortal words, 'are you feeling lucky today'!
Well, with practically any update you'll come across experiences like this for some people. But for the vast majority things go fine, short of some larger more general issue (like let's say one that was in iOS 8.0.1). So for the most part for most people they generally do "feel lucky" and end up "lucky" most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.