iOS 8 Tips app

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Tar Sniffer, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

As most of you know, the alleged iOS 8 screenshot that was leaked the other day contained an unknown app called Tips. Assuming it's real, what do you think it's purpose could be?

My initial thoughts was that it could be an app that provides details and guides on how to use certain iOS features. Perhaps it will appear on the home screen of all new devices, but can be turned off through Settings.

My second thought was that it could be a new Notes app, since the lightbulb usually indicates an idea. However, that suggestion doesn't quite fit the name of the app.

Discuss.

2. cynics macrumors G3

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

can you look for that missing plane while you're on such a roll?

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. Tar Sniffer thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the point of this snide remark?

There has been little to no discussion on the purpose of this app. At this point we know nothing, but we can speculate based on the icon and name.

If you don't want to participate then leave.

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

it could be tips on how to fix things around the house, like changing a lightbulb as the icon implies. :D

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

That would be great, but the lightbulb definitely means it is tips for using the operating system. :D

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

This gets my vote.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My guess would be something like Bubble Help in early Macintosh System revisions. That would be cool, but useless to me (and I think most of us) since most of us know how to use iOS. Of course, it could be something to do with the early beta builds of iOS 8. Maybe they changed things from iOS 7 that some employees that are testing the OS don't know and the app walks them through that.

Or it could just say when you launch the app "Do not get drunk and leave this iPhone at a bar". ;)

Honestly, I really didn't notice that. I was looking more at the TextEdit and Preview apps. Ugly. I hope its not another iWork for iOS incident where they make the iOS icons the same as the OS X icons.

10. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

That would be useless.

11. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Why would it be useless?? Not everybody knows how to use iOS with all it's functionalities like we do... And the user manual bookmark in Safari is not that present for a completely new user.

Anyway I think this is for all the alpha/closed beta testers to submit infos to the developers and it will not be a part of the iOS 8 release.

12. Jord5i macrumors member

Might be a app for tutorials on how to use iOS. Useless for me, but would be great for my grandparents.

I do hope this app isn't locked in, but can be deleted (or deactivated like nike+)

13. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Why? If it is indeed an application that does nothing but show a user how to use their phone, it's basically proving that Apple has changed the OS to the point that people don't know how to use the phone.

Hasn't Apple always had the stance that "it just works" and its simplified to the point where you can just "pick it up and use it"?

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It probably has some extra things that most people don't know about. Sure the phone just works but there are always extra functionality. I still see people pushing the shutter button on the phone screen when taking a picture instead of using the volume button. Or maybe.. did you know you can take a picture with your headphones as well? Maybe someone doesn't know how to see timestamps in iMessage.. or how you let your kids use your phone and make it so they cannot leave the app.

15. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I really don't think it'll be a calculator to tip at restaurants but more of a help section for the iPhone. Calculating the tip isn't that difficult, it should not be a native app.

16. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Because people are too dumb and lazy to take their total and multiply by .15 or .2 depending on the tip amount. :rolleyes:

----------

I'm betting the only additional app we'll see is healthbook. Textedit, preview and tips are just 'placeholders' as somebody else called them.

17. white4s Suspended

another useless apple app most likely

I hope it's not a tip calculator, that will truly be useless

take your bill total and times it by .15-.20, there's your tip calculator

18. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Thank you! Was about to write the same..

19. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

--------------

You'll be surprised. :)

20. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I don't tip :)

21. Altis macrumors 68000

My thoughts exactly. iOS used to be so easy to just pick up. It really isn't like that anymore, if you're new to it entirely.

There are endless examples of it being less easy, intuitive, and straight forward than it was before.

22. Tar Sniffer thread starter macrumors 6502

Good thinking.

However, tipping isn't very common here in Australia, since the service is usually built into the price. Can anyone verify if this is the case in Europe and Asia?

A tip calculator does sound like a handy tool for North Americans though.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

doesnt quite seem fitting with the icon. More likely iPhone use tips or something like that. Doesn't look all that official though.

24. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

It would be very handy for Android switchers.... they would need a manual on how to use an iPhone...

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I recall Apple saying that pre-iOS7, iOS design resembled real life objects etc so that people would see things they're familiar with. With iOS7, the design changed and Apple said it was because most people are more used to smartphones now. However, since things aren't as visually obvious as before, maybe this Tips app is to help new users get around a little.