Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Is anyone having issues with "Hey Siri"? While my iphone (6s) is plugged in, "Hey Siri" will wake it up and I'll hear the prompt to start talking, but the phone doesn't process my speech or respond to my voice. If I use the home button to activate Siri, it works as normal.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had 9.1 public beta 1 on my iPhone 6 since it was released Thursday and today (Monday) Contacts and Apps suddenly disappeared from the Proactive Search screen and slide down spotlight. They showed fine up until I randomly checked today. Has anyone else seen this as well?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    618.1 KB · Views: 274

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
Strange thing happened last night. I left Bluetooth on (not connected to anything) when I went to bed. My battery was at 78%. Got up this morning and my battery was ~35% and showed the usage time as being about 11 hours.

Does Bluetooth constantly use battery? I'm confused. I thought as long as there weren't any connected devices, it used a low frequency and didn't use much battery at all.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Strange thing happened last night. I left Bluetooth on (not connected to anything) when I went to bed. My battery was at 78%. Got up this morning and my battery was ~35% and showed the usage time as being about 11 hours.

Does Bluetooth constantly use battery? I'm confused. I thought as long as there weren't any connected devices, it used a low frequency and didn't use much battery at all.
I'm sure BT does use battery all the time but minimal. What exactly showed 11 hrs usage? That's where you need to look.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
I've had 9.1 public beta 1 on my iPhone 6 since it was released Thursday and today (Monday) Contacts and Apps suddenly disappeared from the Proactive Search screen and slide down spotlight. They showed fine up until I randomly checked today. Has anyone else seen this as well?
I had this happen on my iPad Air 2 yesterday, and was going to create a thread about it, but everything came back within about five minutes. This happened when I tapped into a news article from Proactive Search, and then tapped 'back to search' deep link...which then would only show news. Spotlight also was blank. After about five minutes it all went back to normal. Strange

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
It looks like Facebook was the culprit, although it's never been THAT bad before. There wasn't any more notifications than normal (only had about 6).

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
It looks like Facebook was the culprit, although it's never been THAT bad before. There wasn't any more notifications than normal (only had about 6).
Check out Paper in the App Store. It's made by Facebook, and is much slicker imo. Also incorporates a news reader behind your Facebook feed, which is nice. The overall GUI is fantastic, and performance is great! Also, no ads!

Reactions: nerdriot

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had this happen on my iPad Air 2 yesterday, and was going to create a thread about it, but everything came back within about five minutes. This happened when I tapped into a news article from Proactive Search, and then tapped 'back to search' deep link...which then would only show news. Spotlight also was blank. After about five minutes it all went back to normal. Strange

Yeah about 20 minutes after I posted it Contacts and Apps came back. Very strange.

nelw

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
If I install 9.1 public beta, how can I migrate to iPhone 6s, it comes with 9.0?

Very good question. I'm in the same position. I guess when we get our new phones we should backup our current ones on iTunes, update the new 6S to 9.1 beta and restore from the backup.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Glad you found the issue. That's a common cause and has been for a while now.

Check out Paper in the App Store. It's made by Facebook, and is much slicker imo. Also incorporates a news reader behind your Facebook feed, which is nice. The overall GUI is fantastic, and performance is great! Also, no ads!
I'll second that. FB app has always been a battery and resource hog. I deleted it long time ago and started with Paper the day it came out. Granted I am not a huge FB user or fan but definitely Paper is nicer and doesn't seem to kill your phone like FB app does. I still close it though when not using it just in case.

Reactions: nerdriot and mconk

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012

Can't find paper in the Uk AppStore

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
This hasn't ever been a feature of iOS. The 'Reader' mode in Safari is a similar feature if you're looking for something to make reading web pages easier.
BUT the problem is, reader mode is not their in 2/3rds + of web pages, minimum, it's not even available for this site.

Text reflow should be part of every phone no matter what make or model, it is just as important as pinch to zoom.

I think the very first generations of IOS had it (from what I have read in the past), the only reason to leave it out is not enough power to scale the text when needed or something to do with licensing, but for the price we pay it should be there. Your eyes may see good, but mine as my age and lots of people like us would find text reflow just as useful as having a touch screen on a device.

Apple needs to put it in / or back in, once you use it, you will miss it, like having power brakes, power steering, etc... That some/most don't even know what is like without.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
Well - All the bruhaha over iOS9 GM being released supposedly early for those in the beta program - and with three days of morning false alarms asking me to install iOS9... I suddenly had notice to install iOS 9.1 beta... sigh. I would have LIKED to experience the GM version before being shuffled on to yet another beta... I suppose I could stop that somehow... But anyway:

While I had intermittent data usage issues under various iOS9 betas, where wifi connection would get wiggy even when within close range of a known-good signal/router... tethering never hiccuped. I could either tether my MacBook Pro via USB, bluetooth, or wifi and it never skipped a beat. Same with my iPad Air 2... bluetooth or wifi tethering being pretty reliable.

Under iOS 9.1 beta (on my iPhone 6+) - tethering is HORRID! Via USB to my MacBook Pro - it works maybe 1 out of 5 times - and there is no documentable process to get it to work - it just either does or it doesn't.

Tethering my iPad Air 2 (also on 9.1 beta...sigh) is just as inconsistent and unreliable.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Battery life is great on 9.1 beta. I'm on a 6plus. I could probably get another hour+ usage but needed to plug it in now for later.
0f6a0b16fbe2bcc23e7790cbd820b86e.jpg

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well - All the bruhaha over iOS9 GM being released supposedly early for those in the beta program - and with three days of morning false alarms asking me to install iOS9... I suddenly had notice to install iOS 9.1 beta... sigh. I would have LIKED to experience the GM version before being shuffled on to yet another beta... I suppose I could stop that somehow... But anyway:
You still can. Just remove the beta profile and reboot. It will stop sending further beta updates. The GM will be released tomorrow so you can just update to that and have the 9.0 experience you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.