Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
That has nothing to do with software convergence, it's all hardware use cases they're talking about. Look at this statement alone:

But he added that the company definitely tries to smooth out bumps in the road that make it difficult for its customers to switch between a Mac and an iOS device—for example, making sure its messaging and calendaring apps have the same name on both OS X and iOS.

That's the biggest problem they have and that is what I'm talking about. Apple needs to bridge the app experiences on both iOS and OS X, so that you can have two experiences within one app as you switch between hardware. Apple also agrees, look at this statement from the same interview:

What’s clear when you talk to Apple’s executives is that the company believes that people don’t have to choose between a laptop, a tablet, and a smartphone. Instead, Apple believes that every one of its products has particular strengths for particular tasks, and that people should be able to switch among them with ease. This is why the Mac is still relevant, 30 years on—because sometimes a device with a keyboard and a trackpad is the best tool for the job.

“It’s not an either/or,” Schiller said. “It’s a world where you’re going to have a phone, a tablet, a computer, you don’t have to choose. And so what’s more important is how you seamlessly move between them all…. It’s not like this is a laptop person and that’s a tablet person. It doesn’t have to be that way.”

Note the bolded part, that's the goal. An ability to switch between hardware that's designed to do one specific task really well but with the same app and same data. Imagine you're working on a movie on the Mac but the editing sucks for a specific area with a mouse, so you switch to the iPad, and that same app shows up with a different interface designed for the iPad and you can then switch back to Mac later after you're done. That is the software convergence I'm talking about, the ability to produce multiple UIs with one app with the same codebase and the ability for the users to have a smooth and seamless experience as they switch between their Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and Apple Watch.

Like I said in my first place, Apple has been working toward this for many years now. Handoff, AirDrop, and so on are part of that eventual "app" convergence.

Let me make it clear again, I am not talking about merging hardware that's built for specific purposes into one vague and crappy hardware that can't do several jobs in the best way it can. I'm talking about building an app experience that can let you use whatever hardware you want in the best way it can be, the opposite of what MS did with Windows 8 and what they're trying now with Universal Windows apps on Windows 10.

That is your opinion. I understand your feeling but I am not joking, I have several months of experience using Windows 10 since the first Tech Preview as both professional and a user (my company is in software development) and everyone in my company also agrees, it's a very good release, better than 8 for sure. W10 is much faster and lighter than W7. I absolutely despite Windows 8 and what MS was thinking was idiotic, that was the worst release they've done but they have done a great job with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is much faster and responsive on all of my Macs compared to El Capitan, Apple has lost the round this year. Unless they came up with a new beta for El Cap that has 100% improvements in all areas, El Cap won't hold its ground against Windows 10.

The thing I like about Win 10 the most is that even when you tell it not to send your data to MS it says ok and does it anyway! It's a feature people. Appreciate it! ;)

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
The thing I like about Win 10 the most is that even when you tell it not to send your data to MS it says ok and does it anyway! It's a feature people. Appreciate it! ;)

Or using up all your bandwidth on your network by enabling on default install Bit Torrent like feature for Windows Update. Or how about having 2 Web Browsers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.