Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Performance has improved over 9.1..

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So 9.2 fixes the frame rate issues?
Seems like some say yes and others say no, just like with other updates. Basically no one really knows what it will be like in the eyes of someone else.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 9 has been the laggiest update I've ever used. Doing things like sending a text message is a chore because it takes forever.
Why is that something that takes forever? Doesn't seem like that's the case for most.

BeckyHirsch

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Is anybody else finding that scrolling to the right within App Swicher is too fast and often buggy relative to scrolling to the left? For anybody with accessibility problems, this makes it rather difficult to use as opposed to the smooth slower scrolling of 9.1. I've reported it - could anybody else who doesn't like this change also do so?

Last edited:

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Seems like some say yes and others say no, just like with other updates. Basically no one really knows what it will be like in the eyes of someone else.

Never had an issue with the 6s+ out of the box, but recent updates have introduced a little lag. Not always, reboots usually resolve them but it's obvious it's not quite as smooth as it can be. The whole frame rate issue is contentious for sure (especially the whole 3d touch thing where it pops up slower than a 6s, something that I can't personally see with my own eyes). Lag is lag though and I've seen the odd stutter. Roll on 9.2.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Safari is much quicker doing successive swipe to go back/forward. Previously it would pause and block the action whilst the page was (at least partially) loaded. Now it's either quicker loading pages or allows a the action before it's loaded (still not quite as good as the back/forward buttons which register all successive taps)

anyone agree here? was one of my feedback items from 9.0 that had its date modified repeatedly after submission so I think they were working on it

Reactions: peter.sift and scjr

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Safari is much quicker doing successive swipe to go back/forward. Previously it would pause and block the action whilst the page was (at least partially) loaded. Now it's either quicker loading pages or allows a the action before it's loaded (still not quite as good as the back/forward buttons which register all successive taps)

anyone agree here? was one of my feedback items from 9.0 that had its date modified repeatedly after submission so I think they were working on it

Yes, it's much quicker.

Overall, my 6+ just feels so much smoother on 9.2 b1. The stability has always been there on iOS 9, but now you can tell they're working on performance. Can't wait for beta 2!

Reactions: peter.sift

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Since installing 9.2 beta one I've noticed that the majority of the websites I visit all load either a blank white page or the imbedded videos just load the boxed layout. When refreshing browser it does it again. I have to choose for the page to reload WITHOUT content blockers for the page to load properly. Call me silly but having to load a website without content blockers defeats the purpose of having content blockers installed in he first place?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Since installing 9.2 beta one I've noticed that the majority of the websites I visit all load either a blank white page or the imbedded videos just load the boxed layout. When refreshing browser it does it again. I have to choose for the page to reload WITHOUT content blockers for the page to load properly. Call me silly but having to load a website without content blockers defeats the purpose of having content blockers installed in he first place?

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Have you tried with a different content blocker? Which one do you use?

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Less pixels but with a rather less powerful CPU and GPU which balances it out and makes that type of a point rather moot.
You know there is another thread if you want to discuss performance, right? At least that's what you tell me when I'm the one talking about it:
It's fairly simple: you are talking about something that I wasn't (and I'm not) talking about in the context of the discussion in this thread. You are trying to engage me in a discussion that wasn't the one I was participating in and that I have no interest in participating in at this point given that all that needed to be said about that particular discussion has already been said plenty of times over and over in other threads that deal with it. Not sure how much more clear all that can be made.It's certainly been time to move on from it all long ago.

After two days of not posting here, it's still all about the performance, probably because it's a real issue. Now that I see it doesn't matter that we talk about frame rates here let's see what happens when 4x the power of an iPhone 5 pushes only 2x the pixels:

Last edited:

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
I have three different ones installed that I've been trying out. I have the "controversial" Been Choice installed as well as Purify and Crystal all installed.
I have Crystal and Purify installed; I only get blank pages when Purify is enabled.

iOSBry

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You know there is another thread if you want to discuss performance, right?

After two days of not posting here, it's still all about the performance, probably because it's a real issue. Now that I see it doesn't matter that we talk about frame rates here let's see what happens when 4x the power of an iPhone 5 pushes only 2x the pixels:

Wow.With RT on it's a silky 60 fps and without it it's a laggy mess.Worse I saw the atrocious frame skip as it returned to homescreen

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Stutter has never really bothered me, I'm not someone who really thinks it gets in the way of the many useful features that iPhones offer.

however I will say 9.2 actually seems to have introduced more stutter on my iPhone 6 when opening and closing apps and unlocking. like really bad stutter, 2-3 fps, not just a few dropped frames. will see if it settles down. it's only about 5% of the time

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I have Crystal and Purify installed; I only get blank pages when Purify is enabled.

iOSBry

I went into Settings and turned Purify off and reloaded a specific page that was coming up blank and....whatayaknow the page loads up as should.

Do you think it's a bug within 9.2 beta 1, or something on Purify's end?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I went into Settings and turned Purify off and reloaded a specific page that was coming up blank and....whatayaknow the page loads up as should.

Something on Purify's end.

It happened prior to the beta and in the final. I stopped using it, because of this issue.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010

Maybe both, but I had the same problem with Purify, that's why I changed for 1blocker

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region
Stutter has never really bothered me, I'm not someone who really thinks it gets in the way of the many useful features that iPhones offer.

however I will say 9.2 actually seems to have introduced more stutter on my iPhone 6 when opening and closing apps and unlocking. like really bad stutter, 2-3 fps, not just a few dropped frames. will see if it settles down. it's only about 5% of the time

I also feel this. While animation seems smoother, there's some kind of random stutter that isn't there—happen occasionally on 9.2b1. Maybe I'm just imagining something.

Reactions: canesalato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.