Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
So the major problems with 9.3 wouldn't result in a crash so while this is interesting, it is hardly the whole story.

Also, anyone know why there was a sudden spike in crashes on, I would guess, 23rd March?

Reactions: dk001

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Since I analyze data for a living the thing about the iOS crash graph is the spike across all measured OS versions on the same day - looks like March 23.

What is THAT about?

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 10.39.42 AM.png

Reactions: dk001

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Of course, everyone would believe this report and jump for joy if it said that iOS 9.3 was the buggiest release of iOS ever. But since it doesn't say what people want to it to say, it's flawed, false, a joke, etc.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
The battery on my 6S+ is nothing short of amazing after updating to 9.3... I start using my phone around 6am and when I put it on the charger every night at 11pm I still have about 20-30% battery left... And that's with running Bluetooth all day for my apple watch and jaybird X2 headphones. I also use Instacast for podcasts and infuse for videos on my commute.

Last edited:

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It's interesting how a major company can just toss out a software update to millions of users and then cross their fingers in hopes everything works out. Makes me confident as a CS student that my job won't be as hard as I imagined XD
Yeah it's not like tens of thousands of us were beta testing and submitting bug reports for months. Makes me confident as a student you still have some learning ahead of you. ;)

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Apple does no even react to warnings from users about all the bugs ever since IOS 9 has been launched...

I wonder if there is anyone out there who would buy something dangerous like a CAR from apple?

I surely will NEVER EVER do this…

the day that apple will start selling cars will be the first day of constantly overcrowded emergency rooms and tired medical staffs and paramedics…. not to talk about blocked roads by accidents everywhere….everywhere….

the only chance for mankind to survive an apple car is that the bug is that big that you can´t even start driving…. regarding IOS 9.3 with its unusable IOS devices I restart to get a little bit less pessimistic: No apple car traffic ---> better life expectance… :D until apple once gets the cars rolling… one day ...*panic*

Last edited:

glitchy74

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
Not related to the 9.3 update.

For thousands or maybe millions it is. It may have existed in some form previously, but for myself and apparently many others it started immediately after installing 9.3 and never occurred prior.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Don't worry.. I'm surprised MR...

i guess web links crashing doesn't count as instability issues when it comes to marketing stats. No bringing down the entire OS, and its only the *mostly used default Apple app* we will overlook..

hehe....

Reactions: IPPlanMan

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Thankfully, I think I'm one of the only people who hasn't had any problems with this release.

Nope. Not the only one. I haven't had one single issue with this release.
I think some of the problems may be related to a particular app....booking dot com or some such thing.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Oh really? Stable means being unable to click on search engine links? Stable means Safari crashing when opening a new tab? Stable means freezing when opening a link from Mail?

Arguably 2 of the the 4 most important Apps (the other two being Messages and Phone) are broken. They are unusable. This is the most broken iOS version in history, surely it has to be. I cannot recall two crucial apps being broken ever before.

Also, no this is not isolated. We have five iPhone users in my house, (1 iP5, 2 iP5S, 1 iP6, 1 iP6S) and all five exhibit all of these issues. Major fail here. Epic fail. This is one instance where "Epic fail" is not only applicable, but an actual understatement!

Simply astonishing.

Reactions: IPPlanMan

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
The problem is because of misbehaving apps. It isn't tied to 9.3 at all.

The problem is related to totally inadequate Q/A by Apple, and it precedes 9.3 which makes it more egregious.

This longtime bug was brought up by users here during the 9.3 Betas. Apple ignored it and shipped it anyway.

Even more so, Apple owns the App store and is completely responsible for assuring the quality of the Apps it offers for download. This bug was completely avoidable. Did no one at Apple ask, "What happens if the Universal Links file gets too big?"

No, they were too busy on Night Shift, which makes my screen look like the bottom of an ashtray.

Going on Day 6 here for this links bug. This is disgraceful.

I'll say it again... Apple needs to freeze the iOS feature set for a year until it gets its house in order. Only do bug fixes and security updates. Focus on Quality/Reliability. That's all.

This policy needs to come from Tim/Craig at the top and it needs to be directed to the iOS Team. Short of that, nothing will change.

This rush for annual updates and MORE FEATURES is absolutely destroying Apple's software quality and reputation. It needs to stop now.

Did I mention my device has been unusable for 6 days for mission critical purposes?

[doublepost=1459440081][/doublepost]
Oh really? Stable means being unable to click on search engine links? Stable means Safari crashing when opening a new tab? Stable means freezing when opening a link from Mail?

Arguably 2 of the the 4 most important Apps (the other two being Messages and Phone) are broken. They are unusable. This is the most broken iOS version in history, surely it has to be. I cannot recall two crucial apps being broken ever before.

Also, no this is not isolated. We have five iPhone users in my house, (1 iP5, 2 iP5S, 1 iP6, 1 iP6S) and all five exhibit all of these issues. Major fail here. Epic fail. This is one instance where "Epic fail" is not only applicable, but an actual understatement!

Simply astonishing.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the largest, if not the most embarrassing bugs Apple has ever had. I dub it "Link Gate"....

At least with Antenna-Gate you could use the phone.... and Antenna-Gate was totally overblown IMHO.

What can I say here? "I'm tapping it wrong?"

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The problem is related to totally inadequate Q/A by Apple, and it precedes 9.3 which makes it more egregious.

This longtime bug was brought up by users here during the 9.3 Betas. Apple ignored it and shipped it anyway.

Even more so, Apple owns the App store and is completely responsible for assuring the quality of the Apps it offers for download. This bug was completely avoidable. Did no one at Apple ask, "What happens if the Universal Links file gets too big?"

No, they were too busy on Night Shift, which makes my screen look like the bottom of an ashtray.

Going on Day 6 here for this links bug. This is disgraceful.

You could always get rid of the offending app and fix the issue yourself if it's so bad.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Link tapping issue is a great example of a non crashing problem a they need better metrics to check non crash issues not just crashes.

Safari freezes. Does it crash to the home screen? No.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It's interesting how a major company can just toss out a software update to millions of users and then cross their fingers in hopes everything works out. Makes me confident as a CS student that my job won't be as hard as I imagined XD
I absolutely hate when anything fails to work. PERIOD. Hate it I tell you.

Still, with an installed base of over 100 million and seeing a 97.8% up time (inverse of the 2.2% reported crash rate) is a very good number. I would like to see a comparison of to the rates with Windows or Android, but my guess is that Apple would do well in that comparison. I have worked on military and commercial systems and the cost of going from 9x.xxx% to 99.xxx% to 99.999% is exponential. The amount of regression testing and beta testing would probably mean that we would not see releases on a yearly basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.