Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Block party doesn't seem to be blocking adds on iOS 9 gm

Did you use the Xcode GM? It works fine with my 5S, rMini2.

And it looks like that the iMore article was right. Apple cut off support for older iOS devices. The 4S from a friend doesn't support Content Blocker with iOS 9GM. If you try to "sideload" it gives you an error message (the app is nevertheless installed) and the Safari Setting is completely absent.

zamoht

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2014
Can anyone confirm that content blocking is missing from iOS 9 GM in Swedish? On my iPhone 5S I do a search and it turns up in the search results - but when I tap it takes me to Safari setting, but it's not there...

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Can anyone confirm that content blocking is missing from iOS 9 GM in Swedish? On my iPhone 5S I do a search and it turns up in the search results - but when I tap it takes me to Safari setting, but it's not there...

Yes, same here. iPhone 6, German. Maybe one has to have a content blocker app installed to access the option in safari settings?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't see the content blocking toggle on 9.1 beta U.S. Is it supposed to be there regardless, or does it only show if you install a content blocker? I looked under Settings > Safari. Am I missing it somewhere else?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
are there any content blocker apps out?

No. Apple has just started accepting iOS 9 apps for review. We might see some next week if we’re lucky.

The WSJ had a quick overview of some apps that are due to be released: http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/09/11/developers-angle-to-cash-in-as-apple-enables-mobile-ad-blocking/. I also received an e-mail from the developer of Purify this morning, who said that their app has been sent for review as well.

That makes at least 4 apps to look forward to.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I side loaded an open sourced ad block app on my iPhone and browsing is much better on my phone. The pages load so much quicker!

Reactions: scapegoat81

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This will be beautiful, BUT I will do more research into these mobile ad blocks before installing them.

I had an Ad Blocker called "AdBlock Super" on my Mac this summer and it was a total fake - they were not related to the legit "AdBlock or AdBlock Plus"

This "Super" version would launch new tabs to some site called "TotalAdPerformance," and trying to download fake Flash updates. The AdBlock Super was the reason, completely malware infested.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Ad blockers in iOS 9 work as Safari extensions. All an extension can do is to provide a filter list in JSON format. Neither the extension or the app has access to your browser content, your history or whatever, so it's safe.

The WORST thing that can happen is that a filter blocks legitimate content in Safari

Reactions: luchid

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
If anyone is interested here is an easyList conversion up to date as of today : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6766348/easylist.json

I know some people say that this list is too big and slows down the device, but I'm using it since a few weeks on my 6+ and I haven't noticed any slow down compared to smaller lists. Navigation is very fast, and this list collapse blank spaces, too

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This will be beautiful, BUT I will do more research into these mobile ad blocks before installing them.

I had an Ad Blocker called "AdBlock Super" on my Mac this summer and it was a total fake - they were not related to the legit "AdBlock or AdBlock Plus"

This "Super" version would launch new tabs to some site called "TotalAdPerformance," and trying to download fake Flash updates. The AdBlock Super was the reason, completely malware infested.

It’s simple: on iOS 9 content blockers can work in two ways: either they install a proper content blocking extension, which you must enable manually, or they ask you to install a network profile that allows them to manage your traffic or network settings in some way. The latter I would avoid, unless you trust the developer.

On the Mac it is even easier: don’t install apps to block ads, but use proper browser extensions. Go to Apple’s extension gallery (Safari menu –> Safari Extensions…) and pick one. There is no need for a standalone application, because it will typically work by manipulating other apps or controlling your network settings. You don’t want that.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
FYI
It's not free, but there's also adtrap. Like a firewall for trackers and ad servers, so all apps on every device are shielded with nothing to install or configure on each.

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
If anyone is interested here is an easyList conversion up to date as of today : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6766348/easylist.json

I know some people say that this list is too big and slows down the device, but I'm using it since a few weeks on my 6+ and I haven't noticed any slow down compared to smaller lists. Navigation is very fast, and this list collapse blank spaces, too

How would I get this into block party?

trevor12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Just replace the file "blockerList.json" that comes with BlockParty by this one, and reinstall it on your device with Xcode. Do you already have it installed ?
I wish to be released content blocker with only one function - disable all images

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
I wish to be released content blocker with only one function - disable all images

Well it would be quite simple actually, you need a filter with only one rule, something like :

Code:
"trigger": {
            "url-filter": "*",
            "resource-type": [
                "image"
            ]
        },
        "action": {
            "type": "block"
        }

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Just replace the file "blockerList.json" that comes with BlockParty by this one, and reinstall it on your device with Xcode. Do you already have it installed ?

Yeah already have it installed via Xcode running in a VMware. So just replace the file and resign the app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.