Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
What is the process for uninstalling BlockParty or one like it, with the same type of install? I haven't installed yet, but want to have my bases covered.

You can just delete it normally. Alternatively, go to Settings > General > Profiles and delete it from there. You can also do it from Xcode by opening the devices manager (menu bar > Window > Device (or something like)) and from there you select your device and remove the application.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can just delete it normally. Alternatively, go to Settings > General > Profiles and delete it from there. You can also do it from Xcode by opening the devices manager (menu bar > Window > Device (or something like)) and from there you select your device and remove the application.
Thank you very much for the reply. I have never used Xcode and installed that way. I did see the link that BlockParty links to on install instructions. Looks simple enough for a noncoder to use.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I installed BlockParty and replaced the default BlockParty .json with easy find.json and it doesn't appear to be blocking ads on 9.1. I tried the default just now with the same results.

Edited to add: I used Xcode Beta 7.1 if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But it has been submitted to appstore and testflight

It's just awesome - no poxy, profile or else - but will cost about 3 USD
I am paying. Been testing the beta for some time now. Works pretty well, and is quite simply in that there are no settings to fiddle with. Developer has put in a fair amount of effort into refining it and has been very responsive to feedback and I feel this is a fair price for his work.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I installed BlockParty and replaced the default BlockParty .json with easy find.json and it doesn't appear to be blocking ads on 9.1. I tried the default just now with the same results.

Edited to add: I used Xcode Beta 7.1 if that makes a difference.
Did you rename the easy find file to match that of BlockParty's default? If not, that's your problem.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Did you rename the easy find file to match that of BlockParty's default? If not, that's your problem.
I must be doing something wrong in Xcode, as I still see ads, even though I changed the name. Trying to correctly install this is the first time I have used Xcode.

Finally got it working. The instructions left a few details out.

The adblocker works ok. It would be nice to be able to add to the json file on the fly via the phone. I will definitely be checking out Crystal when it is released.

Last edited:

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
I am paying. Been testing the beta for some time now. Works pretty well, and is quite simply in that there are no settings to fiddle with. Developer has put in a fair amount of effort into refining it and has been very responsive to feedback and I feel this is a fair price for his work.

Gonna do the same. Right now testing on ipad , iphone he had no free slots

merc73

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I must be doing something wrong in Xcode, as I still see ads, even though I changed the name. Trying to correctly install this is the first time I have used Xcode.

Finally got it working. The instructions left a few details out.

The adblocker works ok. It would be nice to be able to add to the json file on the fly via the phone. I will definitely be checking out Crystal when it is released.

Able to give the full instructions?

Thanks

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Little late replying to this -I'm the developer of Crystal.

Sorry for the silence, totally not intended, but there really hasn't been much to say while I've been developing it. I've been posting a lot to twitter, but nothing major enough to blog about.

As of right now it's mostly finished, apart from the UI design. Currently I have a limited amount of testers using Crystal, and I am letting a few more people in every day. You can find out a bit more about Crystal beta in this blog post and sign up to become a tester. The first 1000 to sign up are guaranteed to get in once TestFlight is allowed for iOS 9 applications and there is a chance to be randomly selected to join the limited beta (limited to the amount of UDID's I can register on my dev account)

I made another update last night where I benchmarked 10 common websites and show how they perform with Crystal. You can find out more here - TL;DR: On average, pages loaded 74% faster with Crystal and used 53% less bandwidth.

Last thing - There is a small splash page I made for Crystal, http://murphyapps.co/crystal

If you have any questions, fire away

Thanks for making this in your own freetime. Can i make a donation?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Little late replying to this -I'm the developer of Crystal.

Sorry for the silence, totally not intended, but there really hasn't been much to say while I've been developing it. I've been posting a lot to twitter, but nothing major enough to blog about.

As of right now it's mostly finished, apart from the UI design. Currently I have a limited amount of testers using Crystal, and I am letting a few more people in every day. You can find out a bit more about Crystal beta in this blog post and sign up to become a tester. The first 1000 to sign up are guaranteed to get in once TestFlight is allowed for iOS 9 applications and there is a chance to be randomly selected to join the limited beta (limited to the amount of UDID's I can register on my dev account)

I made another update last night where I benchmarked 10 common websites and show how they perform with Crystal. You can find out more here - TL;DR: On average, pages loaded 74% faster with Crystal and used 53% less bandwidth.

Last thing - There is a small splash page I made for Crystal, http://murphyapps.co/crystal

If you have any questions, fire away

does it have the constant vpn thing like most other block apps? does this block ads across ios like that stupid game of war video ad thats multiple seconds long & invades 75% of free apps out there (not counting iAd) or just in safari?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
does it have the constant vpn thing like most other block apps? does this block ads across ios like that stupid game of war video ad thats multiple seconds long & invades 75% of free apps out there (not counting iAd) or just in safari?

No, Safari in iOS 9 can block ads natively and more efficiently, without the use of a VPN or proxy. Basically, apps only send a block list to Safari and Safari itself will do the blocking. It will only work in Safari and apps that use the new Safari WebView.

Reactions: luchid and Yun0

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Currently, it's just Safari-wide. When developers start implementing Safari browser view into their apps, ad-block should extend to in-app browsers as well. Not sure if it is possible to block native ads inside apps.

Reactions: luchid and Yun0

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
One of the most important aspects for this to work well for everyone, is, I think, that we need a variety of content blockers on the market.

Why?

Because that way, there's no risk, or less risk of developers selling out their product, like the controversial "non-invasive ads" of AdBlock Plus.

I've submitted mine, and I'm going to put it out free for everyone, and no IAP's.

https://sudomindcontrol.com/adbomb/

The list is also open source under MIT license, so if you want to contribute, you can, and if you want to make an Ad-blocker of your own with my list, or fork it, you are welcome.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Because that way, there's no risk, or less risk of developers selling out their product, like the controversial "non-invasive ads" of AdBlock Plus.

I don’t even know why that is controversial. The extension clearly states, upon installation, that it will allow “acceptable ads” based on their own assessment (which is a separate white list that is superimposed upon all the crowdsourced block lists that the user has chosen). Users can simply opt-out of that as well. I think AdBlock Plus is one of the very few adblock developers who take a bit of responsibility for what they are doing.

I am not too worried about the variety of ad blockers. Yours included, I expect at least 6. That number will probably get bigger soon.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
If anyone is interested here is an easyList conversion up to date as of today : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6766348/easylist.json

I know some people say that this list is too big and slows down the device, but I'm using it since a few weeks on my 6+ and I haven't noticed any slow down compared to smaller lists. Navigation is very fast, and this list collapse blank spaces, too
That is so huge I would definitely be hesitant to use it myself. 600K lines and ~10MB of plaintext rules. What is the source for this file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.