Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't get how people can say they're now getting 20 hours of usage its been out for like 4 hours...!? Does it say that somewhere in the phone? A
Seems they are saying that in jest to basically imply that it's essentially impossible to really say if there are any actual improvements or what those are in such a short time.

ZomBee

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
I don't get how people can say they're now getting 20 hours of usage its been out for like 4 hours...!? Does it say that somewhere in the phone? A
You might be missing the joke.

Haven't downloaded yet, so can't say what battery life is like. Although I was one of the few not really having an issue on beta 1.

In regard to "OMG, another thread", it's fairly simple to skip over the ones that don't interest you. :)

Reactions: rhysmorgan

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada

they were joking, top 3 ios jokes to me around here are:

1. safari is snappier
2. battery life anything 5 mins after release
3. ios is indexing stuff is the answer for everything (somewhat related to #2)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

1. safari is snappier
Thank you Taylor or something is Swifter is pointlessly challenging number 1 there these days.

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I've seen improvement on iPad Air 2 since install earlier today. 3 hrs 15 minutes on standby, 22 minutes of usage and still showing 100%. On Beta 1 it would have dropped dramatically by now. At least that was my experience.

Reactions: khafaga

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015

1. safari is snappier

Wait.. so.. iOS indexing ISN'T the answer?

EDIT: Taylor has just written me an open letter explaining in fact iOS indexing is still the answer.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I bet, Apple is not about to improve its poor index algorithm, if horrible battery drain is all about indexing.
I see significant power drop in this beta as well!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The phone is definitely not heating up any longer. It must be done indexing. And Safari is snappier so it's probably been cleaned up to run more efficiently and cooler. Awesome all around!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I bet, Apple is not about to improve its poor index algorithm, if horrible battery drain is all about indexing.
I see significant power drop in this beta as well!

That's strange. It seems like most people are experiencing much better battery life at this stage of the game with beta 2. Unless they changed something about the indexing process for beta 2, the bad battery life in beta 1 almost certainly had very little to do with indexing.

Sbishop84

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I'm still seeing a particularly bad battery drain. I'm using a iPhone 6. Let's hope it's not as bad once it's had a good charge but I went from 44% to 28% in less than a hour just while the phone installed my apps.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Still a lot of work to be done with iOS 9 and I'm not saying that in a surprised way...it's to be expected with a beta. iOS 8.3 and 8.4 are way smoother than 9.0...here's to hoping 9.0 can pick it up on the performance side. Battery seems fixed for the most part. I'm seeing lag and dropped frames all over the place on an iPhone 6.

Back to 8.3 for now. Probably gonna wait till the public beta.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
Back to 8.3 for now. Probably gonna wait till the public beta.

I'm surprised its that bad still, even at beta 2. I have ran every iOS beta since iOS 2 and up until this point iOS 8 betas were the worse...that is until iOS 9 beta 1. Kinda surprised, they must be rushing the releases or something.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
I surfed macrumors forum for 30 mins. On beta 1 that would have cost me 5-7% of my battery life and sanity.

But on beta 2 it's only eating up 2%. So I would say it's close to iOS 8 standard again. But could be better especially when they claim iOS 9 will release up to an additional 1 hour of usage compared to iOS 8.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Quick impressions from before and after.

iPhone 6 - Too soon to tell if battery life. Overall performance and stability is much more consistent then B1.
iPad Air 2 - Performance was great in B1 and in my brief time tinkering with B2 it seems as stable and fast as B1.
iPad Mini 3 - This is miserable. I did an upgrade instead of a restore and it's substantially worse then the other two.

Before the iPhone 6 and the iPad Mini 3 were about the same performance. The iPad Mini 3 took a notable nose dive.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Quick impressions from before and after.

iPhone 6 - Too soon to tell if battery life. Overall performance and stability is much more consistent then B1.
iPad Air 2 - Performance was great in B1 and in my brief time tinkering with B2 it seems as stable and fast as B1.
iPad Mini 3 - This is miserable. I did an upgrade instead of a restore and it's substantially worse then the other two.

Before the iPhone 6 and the iPad Mini 3 were about the same performance. The iPad Mini 3 took a notable nose dive.

That's what amazes me about iOS betas all the time. Performance can vary so wildly among (sometimes same) devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.