Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Newer had to close apps on iOS if they're not stuck. iOS freezes apps from app switcher which are not used after certain time. No need to close apps. Only thing you get is to load apps more often from the slower flash drive and then unload. iOS and OS X have awesome memory management.
But eventually app will be reloaded when it has been removed from memory from background. And app state in some cases will lose when switching between many apps.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

This is absolutely the best article I've read on iOS memory management. It explains it quite well and I've never seen anything contradictory since it was written.

Regarding FB, I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was one of those apps which can run in background indefinitely, and I presume Messenger is the same.

I stopped using the FB app and switched to the web version instead. I can't say that my battery life shot way way up, but I do think there was a noticeable improvement.
I use restrictions to completely remove any of their abilities to keep in background and I have 8 hours of battery. Not good but not so bad.

Reactions: nerdriot

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
I use restrictions to completely remove any of their abilities to keep in background and I have 8 hours of battery. Not good but not so bad.
I never thought to do that. I'm going to have to give that a shot for FB and FB messenger. Thanks!

gneken

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
I'm currently running iOS 8.4 (Jailbroken). I want to try out iOS 9 PB2 and wonder which way is the best to go.

1. Just update from iOS 8.4
2. Restore iPhone and then update

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Go to general, and restrictions, put a simple four digits as passcode, and you are set.

Try to walk around to see anything might be good for you and the battery life.

I successfully use this to remove endless notification off pop up in an app. And I can prevent new apps from accessing my current location due to unknown reason.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm currently running iOS 8.4 (Jailbroken). I want to try out iOS 9 PB2 and wonder which way is the best to go.

You may first unjailbreak and update through OTA, or simply use iTunes to refresh your system without removing jailbreak prior.

But, according to other posts, I would suggest you remove jailbreak before going on software upgrade.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

You have to restore it, I believe. I don't think you can upgrade with a jailbreak installed as you receive an error with OTA

So option 2

---------------------------------

Update on 4s battery life - yesterday it went in about 3 hours, so just about the same as my usage time with iOS 8. That was disappointing after I managed an extra hour the previous day performing essentially the exact same functions for a similar period of time. Standby time was just over 9 hours. It was dead when I woke up this morning.

Today I will test it out in battery saver mode

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to general, and restrictions, put a simple four digits as passcode, and you are set.

Try to walk around to see anything might be good for you and the battery life.

I successfully use this to remove endless notification off pop up in an app. And I can prevent new apps from accessing my current location due to unknown reason.
Which particular options there would be helpful with those types of things? For example, notifications and location service controls exist separately in settings outside of restrictions.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Which particular options there would be helpful with those types of things? For example, notifications and location service controls exist separately in settings outside of restrictions.

I'm curious too. Restrictions block the user from apps, functions, or content. As far as I understand it doesn't affect apps directly.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There are various options below content section to limit the ability and functionality of some apps. Such as microphone, calendar events, etc.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm curious too. Restrictions block the user from apps, functions, or content. As far as I understand it doesn't affect apps directly.
It doesn't affect apps directly, but it affects app capability directly or indirectly.

For example, with location services disabled, apps require location services will not be able to determine your location.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
i'm on a 6+. does anyone's scrolling lock up/freeze/lag on them? when i'm scrolling in app or even on homescreen, it locks up for a bit. happens quite a lot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn't affect apps directly, but it affects app capability directly or indirectly.

For example, with location services disabled, apps require location services will not be able to determine your location.
But it seems it would be better to disable location services for various apps you don't want in the privacy settings than to disable them for everything completely.
There are various options below content section to limit the ability and functionality of some apps. Such as microphone, calendar events, etc.
All those types of settings are available in the privacy section without the need to go through restrictions though.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But it seems it would be better to disable location services for various apps you don't want in the privacy settings than to disable them for everything completely.
However, some annoying apps will continuously notify you to open location service or something else as long as you start/use that app. Restriction could suppress such annoying on screen nags once and for all. One of such bad examples is QQ.

And, restriction could prevent new app from acquiring certain features.

Such restriction is also based on individual features, not "shutting down them all" approach. What it prevents in fact, is the ability to change it through settings app. When you click individual items, you can see you have the ability to "allow changes" or "don't allow changes", which is the core of restrictions.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
4S updates:

After some initially pleasant results, my last few days on the PB2 with the 4S have been the opposite experience. Its been slower and more sluggish than before, and the battery without the battery saver dropped down to 3 hrs usage with ~9hrs standby, and with battery saver ~3.5hrs usage with ~11.5hrs standby

I was not experiencing any significant lag on the phone before however after sending in multiple feedback notices to apple, now its very slow (reminiscent of pre 8.1-iOS 8) and I can't sign into the feedback app haha

Not sure what happened. Hopefully the next update brings some better results.

loftiness

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
5S so far it's worse than the previous beta, barely last me a whole day :(
average standby time of 20hrs, average usage around 5hrs, if i let it run from 100->0

However, some annoying apps will continuously notify you to open location service or something else as long as you start/use that app. Restriction could suppress such annoying on screen nags once and for all. One of such bad examples is QQ.

And, restriction could prevent new app from acquiring certain features.

Such restriction is also based on individual features, not "shutting down them all" approach. What it prevents in fact, is the ability to change it through settings app. When you click individual items, you can see you have the ability to "allow changes" or "don't allow changes", which is the core of restrictions.
I'm pretty sure restriction is for parental control, you can turn off notification or other background stuff elsewhere. Setting restriction only changes whether other users of the device can change the setting. I don't think there's anything you can turn off to save battery in there that you cannot do from other settings. App doesn't really acquire new features out of blue without your notice.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
5S so far it's worse than the previous beta, barely last me a whole day :(
average standby time of 20hrs, average usage around 5hrs, if i let it run from 100->0

I'm pretty sure restriction is for parental control, you can turn off notification or other background stuff elsewhere. Setting restriction only changes whether other users of the device can change the setting. I don't think there's anything you can turn off to save battery in there that you cannot do from other settings. App doesn't really acquire new features out of blue without your notice.
Yes. That is true.
However some apps will constantly ask you to open certain functions if you close it in privacy settings. You may have no chance to see such app, but I have seen this, and the result is simply annoying. Could you imagine everytime you use the app, you need to close a window asking you to open location services?

Restriction prevents users from changing those settings, and interestingly, it also prevents some apps from prompting you for certain privacy settings.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Today, 4S is performing well - very little slow down.

Usage time is 2 hrs, standby 21 hrs, without battery saver and 48% life left. Bluetooth also on, along with background location services. Am also able to log back into feedback app no problem

Such a puzzle as to what happened the previous day.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
i'm on a 6+. does anyone's scrolling lock up/freeze/lag on them? when i'm scrolling in app or even on homescreen, it locks up for a bit. happens quite a lot.

Yup. 6+ here as well. Sometimes, when scrolling quickly it stops responding to my swipes.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Scrolling and such is buttery smooth and fast on my 5s

There are glitches and stuttering here and there

But to me the biggest annoyance of iOS 9 has been this "pause" or "delay" in launching an app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.