iOS 9 Content Blockers Mini-Reviews

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by BasicGreatGuy, Sep 19, 2015.

1. jack 011 macrumors member

jack 011

This one is fast!

2. dokindo macrumors regular

Purify was blocking the comments section in news pages on wsj.com. Just tried Adblock fast and it doesn't have the same problem

3. BasicGreatGuy, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

[​IMG]

* Taken from the iTunes Preview page.

Description

Free for few days only!

Surf without any Ads on Safari. Just install the app and enable the ad blocking and enjoy using Safari without any Ads. Perfect when you want to cut those distractions out and load webpages faster than ever.

It's absolutely FREE! Download NOW and try it!

If you have any issues with this app please contact us from the app store link. That's the only way we can contact you to solve it. Leaving an issue as a review doesn't help us solve it. We promise to get back to you ASAP.

...More
    Ad Blocker - Easily Block Ads Support
    Screenshots
    iPhone iPad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ad Blocker is minimalist content blocker. The single app page claims that "more than 200 ad providers are blocked." There are no extras found in Ad Blocker, nor is there any way to contact the developer within the app. This app appears to only deal with ad-blocking, as no mention of script or tracker blocking is mentioned by the developer.

Ad Blocker app design - D

As you can see by the pictures, very little thought was put into the design and layout of the app. The developer states the app is free for a limited time. With that being the case, I believe an app should offer much more than this, especially when it is going to be a paid app.

Ad Blocker blocking power - F

Given the lack of ad-blocking with the sites noted below, I did not bother finishing the test. I saw it as a waste of my time. This app fails to do what it claims it can do.

* Sponsored ads on Yahoo (on the iPhone 6) were not blocked.
    * Social widgets were not blocked.

* Your experience may differ from mine, in regards to ad-blocking ability.

Ad block's blocking power was tested using the following websites Time Magazine, CNN, Yahoo, Macrumors, Amazon,*** Fox News,*** Huffington Post,*** iMore,*** The Verge,*** National Geographic,*** Crackle, Forbes Magazine,*** The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate... MacWorld, MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World,*** ImDB, YouTube,*** Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac,*** blog.buttermouth, ESPN, Welt.de, Ciudad.com.ar, ABC.com.py,*** Times of Israel, 9to5toys, Straits Times, Str.sg, info.singtel.com, Times of India, Indian Express, Cnet, and Courier.co.uk.

Unless otherwise noted by the * symbol, all sites loaded correctly without any pop ups or blank advertising boxes.

* Site did not load

** Site loaded correctly but clicking links on main page or subsequent page didn't work.

*** Site loaded correctly but did not block all ad(s) on main page or subsequent site pages.

**** Site did not correctly load all non ad page elements (e.g. pictures, video, text etc.)

***** Site loaded correctly with no ads or pop ups. Empty advertisement blocks were noted.

****** Site loaded correctly but did not stop pop up messages or redirects

Ad Blocker speed - C -

Give in the inability of the app to properly block ads, load times were not what they should be, and took slightly longer to load than many other apps reviewed.

Ad Blocker price and developer contact - A

A rating of A was given solely on the basis that the app was free at the time of review. I did not contact the developer prior to review nor am I familiar with his previous customer contact and feedback with other apps.

Ad Blocker overall rating - F

In my opinion, this app fails to do what it was created to do. It doesn't block ads on most (if not all) of the test websites. As such, I do not recommend this app. There are plenty of other apps that do a much better job.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Wowsers.. this developer needs to get to work.

5. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

This is a no frills blocker, but it seems to do real well at blocking ads in my short testing of it. It loads quickly as well.

Blkr by Hundred Spires
    https://appsto.re/us/QUl-9.i

6. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Anyone else having a problem with Adblock fast not removing the blank white spaces on the front page of macrumors? All the ads are gone for me but after the first article there is a big blank white space.

7. miknos, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

miknos Suspended

miknos

Ben Brooks reviewed a bunch of ad blockers too. Worth a check:

https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/content-blocker-test/

Bottom line:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I still find this benchmark suspect. How could enabling Do Not Track possibly result in ~25% faster load times? Even if the tested sites honor DNT (which unfortunately few do), it wouldn't normally result in less content being loaded ...

9. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

And 1blocker winning... Lol, that test is a joke.

10. miknos Suspended

miknos

From Wikipedia:
    Maybe some big websites honor the DNT?

Interesting note:

11. Rigby macrumors 601

Maybe, but even then there shouldn't be a significant difference. Sites that honor DNT are basically expected to stop keeping persistent state that can be used to track a user across sites. But it normally doesn't block anything.

But don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work he is obviously putting into this. Better than all the anectdotal "OMG uberblocker 2000 is the fastest blocker evah!!1!!1!!" postings. ;) The same goes for BasicGreatGuy's mini-reviews, of course. :)

12. tosbsas macrumors 6502a

tosbsas

Is it possible that some blockers use more battery than others?

13. Rigby macrumors 601

It's possible, but hard to quantify. Searching the blocklist for matches obviously takes CPU cycles. How many will depend on the size of the list, but a developer can also take steps to optimize it (e.g. by grouping rules with identical actions and sorting them by hit probability, because Safari is able to skip searching the rest of a group after the first match). On the other hand, if the web page has lots of blockable objects, you save CPU cycles for rendering. The overall effect can only be determined by lots of testing.

PS: I just created my own blocker for fun. Took me about 10 minutes, since Xcode 7 even has a template for content blocker extensions. :p Of course it doesn't have a GUI and I stole the block list elsewhere (that's obviously where the real work is).

14. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I noticed that Purify was blocking some images and videos on nfl.com as well, which did not happen with numerous other blockers like Safari Blocker, Adblocker or Adblock Fast. So far now I'm using a mixture of Adblocker, Adblock Fast and AdMop's tracking blocker which seems to be doing decent. I might turn one off at some point and/or revisit previous blockers I used like Crystal and Purify at a later date to see if they've made any improvements.

15. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

very disappointed with Adblock fast.

This is adblock fast

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/IYrfq1ejORSYQgcIrqhObM4sAi7oVFxI/picture.jpg

This is with Purify

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/l1Mh3dfi7c0RzK7EAzbXYT7V16FpEReP/picture.jpg

failed the basic test

16. dokindo macrumors regular

17. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

18. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are going to judge a content blocker on the basis of whether or not it can block all ads on every site you decide to open, you might as well delete Purify and forget installing any other content blocker.

Even desktop and laptop ad-blockers aren't able to block every single thing every single time.

19. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Here's another one for no ads on The Verge with Adblock Fast.

20. Mactaculious macrumors regular

The feature set is what got me hooked and am still using this. I've returned Crystal, Silentium, Blockr and Purity. In terms of speeds it's pretty relative to the person using it (so many factors come into play on this). It's either going to be horrendously slow or otherwise not really noticeable between content blockers.

21. tops2 macrumors regular

I wonder if sometimes there's just a bug in iOS 9 in relations to ad blockers. Sometime yesterday and this morning I was having problem with one ad blocker I was testing. But sometime later today, the same ad blocker started again so I'm not sure what happened.

22. Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Can somebody help me with a add-blocker that blocks ads sponsors?

23. miknos Suspended

miknos

I'm guessing he forgot to turn on the toggle in the app (Adblock Fast) or in Safari options. I'm not seeing ads either.

Adblock Fast could use a more visible toggle. Something like a big On and Off.